Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

[wta] Engine Oil For Waja

• Please log in to reply

cfa

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

cfa

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
Hi Sifus,

My Waja CPS Manual Statted Engine Oil is 10w30.

Unfortunately, 10w30 only comes in 3L and 1L pack and most of the time, the 1L pack is sold out. So buying 6L of Oil is quite expensive and having the balance sitting idle for 3-mths is also not very good.

So, I decided to use 10W40 and frankly, I don't feel any difference in performance or FC. But recently hands itchy, saw that there is also a 5w30 4-L pack.

So, want to ask the Sifus here, which oil is better as a substitute to the original recomened 10w30.

Is 10w40 or 5w30 better? TQCM

hcgui

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
QUOTE (cfa @ Feb 24 2014, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sifus,

Unfortunately, 10w30 only comes in 3L and 1L pack and most of the time, the 1L pack is sold out. So buying 6L of Oil is quite expensive and having the balance sitting idle for 3-mths is also not very good.

So, I decided to use 10W40 and frankly, I don't feel any difference in performance or FC. But recently hands itchy, saw that there is also a 5w30 4-L pack.

So, want to ask the Sifus here, which oil is better as a substitute to the original recomened 10w30.

theoritically, 5W-30 shud give better fuel economy and revs easier. but some engine do make more noise with thinner oil, like my own Campro 1.3L. i'm using either 15W-40 or 10W-40.

however, if u've tried that viscosity and dont face any problem whatsover, then it's probably okay, provided it's recommended by the manufacturer in the first place.

i do know one brand that has 10W-30 in 4L pack. Mobil 1000x2, made in Singapore. smile_tongue.gif

YSW

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

YSW

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
QUOTE (hcgui @ Feb 24 2014, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
theoritically, 5W-30 shud give better fuel economy and revs easier. but some engine do make more noise with thinner oil, like my own Campro 1.3L. i'm using either 15W-40 or 10W-40.

however, if u've tried that viscosity and dont face any problem whatsover, then it's probably okay, provided it's recommended by the manufacturer in the first place.

i do know one brand that has 10W-30 in 4L pack. Mobil 1000x2, made in Singapore. smile_tongue.gif

Usually lubrication on valve train, especially in the case of flat tappet, such as Campro will be partially boundary lubrication and partially hydrodynamic lubrication. In the case of hydrodynamic, higher viscosity oil does make some improvement in sound dampening but a thinner oil can also provide a adequate sound dampening with good boundary lubrication. Boundary lubrication is very much about the good quality anti wear and extreme pressure additive within the oil.

vr2turbo

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (cfa @ Feb 24 2014, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sifus,

If recommended 10w-30 you can also use 5w-30. Pennzoil have SS 5w-30 in 4L pack. However you can to try 10w-40 and see which viscosity you prefer....

vr2turbo

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (YSW @ Feb 24 2014, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually lubrication on valve train, especially in the case of flat tappet, such as Campro will be partially boundary lubrication and partially hydrodynamic lubrication. In the case of hydrodynamic, higher viscosity oil does make some improvement in sound dampening but a thinner oil can also provide a adequate sound dampening with good boundary lubrication. Boundary lubrication is very much about the good quality anti wear and extreme pressure additive within the oil.

You are technical sifu.... smile_thumbup.gif
For my VR with hydraulic lifters I tried 5w-30 before. Is very quiet during cold start but becomes very noisy when warmed up. So have to stick back to 5w-40 or even 5w-50 viscosity... smile_tongue.gif

cfa

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

cfa

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
Thanks all sifus for your feedback.

Will try 5w30 for next oil change and observe

YSW

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

YSW

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Feb 26 2014, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are technical sifu.... smile_thumbup.gif
For my VR with hydraulic lifters I tried 5w-30 before. Is very quiet during cold start but becomes very noisy when warmed up. So have to stick back to 5w-40 or even 5w-50 viscosity... smile_tongue.gif

5w30 gave you quiet cold start because 5w30 flow fast enough in low temperature to provide lubrication, as the engine temp rise, the engine oil will become thinner and hydrodynamic lubrication on the valve train should be complimented with good boundary lubrication...... It is quite clear that the oil you are using did not provide sufficient boundary lubrication and hence you are forced to rely on hydrodynamic lubrication where you had to shift to higher viscosity....

I guess you should look for oil that perform better on boundary lubrication.