Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

[engine Oil] Can Sm & Sn Mixed Together

• Please log in to reply

hcgui

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Feb 24 2014, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not only the Shell brand but Mobil and Castrol too. To me I don't think much or any difference as those oil are not like say made for EU climate and that is taken care off but the viscosity range. Tesco must have some connection to get them cheap from there. Well, is a benefit to us.... smile_tongue.gif

and recently they added Total. hehe.

YSW

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

YSW

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Feb 24 2014, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not only the Shell brand but Mobil and Castrol too. To me I don't think much or any difference as those oil are not like say made for EU climate and that is taken care off but the viscosity range. Tesco must have some connection to get them cheap from there. Well, is a benefit to us.... smile_tongue.gif

The thing to take note of for engine oil made for European market has little to do with climate and viscosity considering the temperature during summer at southern Europe could be quite warm.

The biggest concern here would be sulphur content of fuel.... Generally low or zero sulphur fuel is available in Europe, hence engine oil for this continent is usually of low SAPS, or rather low in alkalinity because there will be lower acidity to handle which is generated from sulphur during combustion.

Low alkalinity engine oil would be a bad news to Malaysian market because higher acidity from our fuel will force us to shorten the oil change interval because the alkalinity in the engine oil required to neutralise the acid would fall to dangerously low level...

hcgui

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
QUOTE (YSW @ Feb 24 2014, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing to take note of for engine oil made for European market has little to do with climate and viscosity considering the temperature during summer at southern Europe could be quite warm.

The biggest concern here would be sulphur content of fuel.... Generally low or zero sulphur fuel is available in Europe, hence engine oil for this continent is usually of low SAPS, or rather low in alkalinity because there will be lower acidity to handle which is generated from sulphur during combustion.

Low alkalinity engine oil would be a bad news to Malaysian market because higher acidity from our fuel will force us to shorten the oil change interval because the alkalinity in the engine oil required to neutralise the acid would fall to dangerously low level...

wow.. thanks for the sharing bro. So far i only come across one Made in EU oil that specifically mention its low SAPS content, namely the Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W-40 with Dexos approval.

the rest all hv pretty similar approval standards compared to local stocks.

YSW

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

YSW

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
QUOTE (hcgui @ Feb 24 2014, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow.. thanks for the sharing bro. So far i only come across one Made in EU oil that specifically mention its low SAPS content, namely the Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W-40 with Dexos approval.

You will need to read the European version specification for the particular model of oil in order to confirm that.

vr2turbo

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (hcgui @ Feb 24 2014, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that the ones sold in Tesco?

vr2turbo

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (YSW @ Feb 24 2014, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good Info.... smile_thumbup.gif