Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

[engine Oil] Can Sm & Sn Mixed Together

• Please log in to reply

davidlow7

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

davidlow7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi Guys,

Just to clarify as I am not taking chance even though what I read before that it was perfectly okay to mix SM & SN Engine Oil without any impact.

What do you think?

lelynx

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

lelynx

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
yes... no issue
not much difference in SM and SN

but not SJ (or older one) with SN
just like semi with full

vr2turbo

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
The latest SN rating is for the latest test. No problem mixing.
I even mix FS ans SS oil, different brand and different viscosity, but mine old car old engine..... smile_tongue.gif

davidlow7

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

davidlow7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
QUOTE (lelynx @ Feb 18 2014, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes... no issue

just like semi with full

QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Feb 18 2014, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I even mix FS ans SS oil, different brand and different viscosity, but mine old car old engine..... smile_tongue.gif

Cool.. at least I don't have to throw away the older SM ... and can still mix up...

I always sapu a lot of Shell HX7 @ Tesco .. when discount.. the last I got was RM85.99 .. Swipe using Maybank AMEX on weekend further 5% + 5x Treatpoints..

smile_tongue.gif

hcgui

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Feb 18 2014, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've been doing that too. haha. one of the categories for API testing is compatibility with different types of oils in the market. so it's sort of a 'standard recipe', just different toppings and taste.

i read that before in a Petronas Syntium technical catalogue, tat mixing oil frm different manufacturers is perfectly safe, altho it's not the best recommendation.

maybe those lastest high tech engines hv different requirements, but for my daily NA engines, i've no worries at all mixing different oils.

vr2turbo

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (lelynx @ Feb 18 2014, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes... no issue

Yup, the really older oil have different additives which is harmful to the environment, newer standards are more environmentally friendly but then it does not mean it is good for older engines which requires different protection.
Similar to our leaded petrol last time as unleaded was actually harmful for older engines with more wear.

vr2turbo

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (davidlow7 @ Feb 18 2014, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool.. at least I don't have to throw away the older SM ... and can still mix up...

I always sapu a lot of Shell HX7 @ Tesco .. when discount.. the last I got was RM85.99 .. Swipe using Maybank AMEX on weekend further 5% + 5x Treatpoints..

smile_tongue.gif

Why didn't you use the balance at next oil change?

vr2turbo

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:11 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (hcgui @ Feb 19 2014, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i've been doing that too. haha. one of the categories for API testing is compatibility with different types of oils in the market. so it's sort of a 'standard recipe', just different toppings and taste.

i read that before in a Petronas Syntium technical catalogue, tat mixing oil frm different manufacturers is perfectly safe, altho it's not the best recommendation.

maybe those lastest high tech engines hv different requirements, but for my daily NA engines, i've no worries at all mixing different oils.

Here more technical. Group 3 FS are still from mineral base oil, so same as Group 2 SS, and group 1 mineral. However if it is group 4 POA and group 5 Ester, then maybe not good to mix....

davidlow7

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

davidlow7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Feb 19 2014, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why didn't you use the balance at next oil change?

Ya man.. I usually use up the balance and get a new bottle to top it up... Because Wira 1.5 doesn't use exact 4L ...

Just recently Tesco new batch of Shell EO is now SN ... (I usually grabbed a few from there when there's promo)...

1 more thing is I noticed the Shell EO in Tesco is Made in EU... is there any difference with those Shell EO made in Malaysia?

vr2turbo

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (davidlow7 @ Feb 23 2014, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya man.. I usually use up the balance and get a new bottle to top it up... Because Wira 1.5 doesn't use exact 4L ...

Just recently Tesco new batch of Shell EO is now SN ... (I usually grabbed a few from there when there's promo)...

1 more thing is I noticed the Shell EO in Tesco is Made in EU... is there any difference with those Shell EO made in Malaysia?

Not only the Shell brand but Mobil and Castrol too. To me I don't think much or any difference as those oil are not like say made for EU climate and that is taken care off but the viscosity range. Tesco must have some connection to get them cheap from there. Well, is a benefit to us.... smile_tongue.gif