Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Engine Knocking?

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (Simpson @ Jan 12 2014, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leongts,
Yup I've done the threebond treatment & also redline fuel injector cleaner. In fact I did it twice in the space of 10k km for the injector cleaner. Result was no change.

Jklow123
The swift uses a timing chain. A friend suggested to clean Throttle body, EGR & check ignition system.

Vr2turbo,
The car is been driven on the highway regularly eg to northern region & south as we'll.

I do not want just to open up the engine. Would want to do a series of test to determine if it's actually carbon deposits & not something else. For example I may want to do a wet & dry compression test to determine the state of the engine, etc. the mechanic must be knowledgeable & know what he is doing. Any trustworthy mechanic you guys can recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Yah! was about to ask you go for compression test. With carbon build up the compression will be higher unless your piston rings are already worn.
Not sure if you can set your ignition timing as newer cars have knock sensors to auto tune. If you want you can try asking my mechanic about it but he is in Puchong area. I will pm you his contacts.

jklow123

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

jklow123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
QUOTE (Simpson @ Jan 9 2014, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all,

Need you guys to help me with this. I suspect it's engine knocking. Mileage 230k. When I accelerate, overtaking or simply drive up a slope I can hear tak tak tak sound. This only happens when the engine is hot. During cold or rainy season it is very faint or almost non existent. What I've done so far:

1)Switch to RON97. Result was no change.
2)Flushed engine & cleaned fuel injector
3)Changed cam sensor (o-ring leaking)
4)Changed knock sensor

Yet to open up engine to inspect for carbon buildup, etc due to busy work schedule. Any advise. Thanks.

If its indeed excessive build-up of carbon thats causing your knocking, my customers love the results of this Cheras guy who specializes in decarbonizing. Photos also given to customers. Roughly 800 and above depending on type of engine.
He does loads of Peugeots as well.

Simpson

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

Simpson

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts
Thanks vr2turbo for the contact.

Jklow123, mind sharing the decarbonizing guy contact? What is his method? Need to open up the engine? Tq

vr2turbo

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (Simpson @ Jan 25 2014, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks vr2turbo for the contact.

Jklow123, mind sharing the decarbonizing guy contact? What is his method? Need to open up the engine? Tq

Yup, find out first before doing anything major....