Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Emblem Relocation

• Please log in to reply

jonlsl

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
My Cefiro and 20G emblem was in the wrong position as the previous owner repainted the car and the painter didn't stick it back the right way. Also the adhesive also was coming off as they used poor quality double side foam tape.

So since the emblem was coming off might as well do it properly once and for all. Bought 3M Heavy Duty tape (the grey stuff with red plastic film) for rm17.50 from tesco. It was a pain to cut the tape to the correct shape but at the end I manage to do it. Wasn't perfect but good enough.

1. To remove the old emblem I just used dental floss, slot it behind the emblem aand the tape nd start cutting the tape with the dental floss.

2. Remove adhesive tape using lighter fluid. I used a plastic scraper to help remove all the adhesive. The blue plastic tool you actually see there is a plastic automotive clip removal tool made by JTC and come in 5 different shapes and sizes. But have to be careful not to scrap too hard and inflict deep marring on the clear coat.

3. With all the adhesive removed, its time to clean the paint and do correction. I used an RB with LC white pad and Osren Crystal Cut 3.0. Took about 3 passes to finish it. Didn't bother to finish with a black pad as the clear is quite hard and couldn't really see any holograms or swirls left by the correction.

4. Clean the surface with IPA ready for sticking the emblem.

5. Measure up, get your lines straight and stick the emblem and you're done.

Removing adhesive

Adhesive removed

jonlsl

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Correction finished

Relocation complete

vr2turbo

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,464 posts
If you did not relocate the emblem you had a limited edition mah!...... smile_big.gif

My VR after last respray years ago, all emblem left out. Easy to wash and polish. But nowadays also seldom polish.... smile_tongue.gif

jonlsl

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 25 2013, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you did not relocate the emblem you had a limited edition mah!...... smile_big.gif

My VR after last respray years ago, all emblem left out. Easy to wash and polish. But nowadays also seldom polish.... smile_tongue.gif

Yah much easier to clean but it makes me feel the car is "naked" without the emblems and I like it in original condition. Also makes the car look "resprayed" without the emblems.

vr2turbo

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,464 posts
Anyway, nice work there brother..... smile_thumbup.gif

br1

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 25 2013, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya lkor, some kancil also without ori emblem also buy or steal turbo emblem to stick on! worried plp dont know they dont have turbo?
smile_shock.gif

cbsteh

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
I once saw a video on how someone removed these stick-ons. Using a hotgun, a letter is warmed up until the adhesive under the letter is soft, then using a fishing line, the adhesive is cut out, leaving a clean surface. Then do the same of the next letter.

Of course, care must be taken not to burn the paint, but it is doable as long as you don't rush and not focus the hotgun on one spot for too long.

Any comments?

jonlsl

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Oct 26 2013, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I once saw a video on how someone removed these stick-ons. Using a hotgun, a letter is warmed up until the adhesive under the letter is soft, then using a fishing line, the adhesive is cut out, leaving a clean surface. Then do the same of the next letter.

Of course, care must be taken not to burn the paint, but it is doable as long as you don't rush and not focus the hotgun on one spot for too long.

Any comments?

I think better to use fish line or dental floss as its the safest. Hotgun I think slow, its hard to get even heat behind the emblem and the panel.

Better use fish line or d.floss cut it out then use heat gun to heat panel to help remove adhesive and then heat the emblem separately to remove adhesive.

Only if you have decal i.e. sticker you can heat directly.

Remember when you heat up the paint it becomes softer and much easier to marr the paint. Remember even finger nails can marr even at 30deg.

Heat will help in winter which we don't have which I guess gui lohs do it that way.

vr2turbo

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,464 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Oct 26 2013, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think better to use fish line or dental floss as its the safest. Hotgun I think slow, its hard to get even heat behind the emblem and the panel.

Better use fish line or d.floss cut it out then use heat gun to heat panel to help remove adhesive and then heat the emblem separately to remove adhesive.

Only if you have decal i.e. sticker you can heat directly.

Remember when you heat up the paint it becomes softer and much easier to marr the paint. Remember even finger nails can marr even at 30deg.

Heat will help in winter which we don't have which I guess gui lohs do it that way.

Yup, care to be taken not to marr the paint. Worst case use emblem cover up.... smile_tongue.gif

QUOTE (br1 @ Oct 26 2013, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya lkor, some kancil also without ori emblem also buy or steal turbo emblem to stick on! worried plp dont know they dont have turbo?
smile_shock.gif

Yup, taikor, Some want many many emblems....hahahaha smile_big.gif