Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Wax Or Sealant?

• Please log in to reply

vios2000

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
Hi sifus,

What should I use to protect the new car paint system ? A good wax or a good sealant?

I used to do the following:

1. Wash n dry with MF cloth
2. Clay the car so that the surface is smooth. Tried both meguires and pg, find the meg is better in term of performance.
3. Use the AIO product like soft99 or turtle wax.

I am using the cheap RB from mr DIY, mainly to buff off the hazy layer after using hands to apply the wax.

I always wanted to add the PG sealant after my AIO coat but when i finish the aio coat, I am totally drained off and no sealant on it.

What is your recommendation to keep the new car looks great years after years? Many thanks

jonlsl

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Oct 6 2013, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi sifus,

What should I use to protect the new car paint system ? A good wax or a good sealant?

2. Clay the car so that the surface is smooth. Tried both meguires and pg, find the meg is better in term of performance.

I am using the cheap RB from mr DIY, mainly to buff off the hazy layer after using hands to apply the wax.

I always wanted to add the PG sealant after my AIO coat but when i finish the aio coat, I am totally drained off and no sealant on it.

What is your recommendation to keep the new car looks great years after years? Many thanks

Wax for better looks and more warmth with less durability but less water spotting for dark coloured cars if you can see water spots. Sealant for better durability and gives a harder shine more suited for light coloured cars.

The secret to 15+years of great looking shine with original factory paint is to protect and wash regularly. Tried and test. What product doesn't really matter, what matters is the correct product and regular maintenance with proper washing techniques and no "outside Bangla or regular car wash" car wash unless fully trusted.

In terms of product quality you might want to upgrade a step up rather than to use those OTC products you mentioned.

AIO = Duragloss 501
Wax = Osren Synergized (more like hybrid wax), Dodo Juice.
Sealant = Duragloss 105, Osren Synthetic Sealant
Spray Wax = Duragloss Aquawax

All the above mentioned products are really good bang for the buck in terms of performance and all available easily locally. Megs stuff is ok but not so good bang for the buck. I personally prefer megs products for their pro range of polishes rather than their OTC stuff.

jklow123

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

jklow123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi sifus,

You mentioned "protection" (not aesthetics) with regards to wax vs sealant.
In short, both can only provide limited protection from specific (not all) contaminants. Each is a compromise.
Some products appear to cause even more problems such as increased staining and higher susceptibility to watermark stains although they may produce impressive beading and gloss. Most off-the-shelf brands can't even "last" 3 months if its openly parked regularly. Also, many waxes might also incorporate loads of synthetic stuff in them, while certain wax-like products could be labelled as synthetic sealants.

Avoid falling into the situation where you buy continually buy loads of Internet-popularized brands and end up with loads and loads of partially used waxes and sealants that you seldom use after discovering that most of them won't give you a huge difference after all. Diff forums will reco you diff brands. You can't possibly try all of them.

Since you have PG (and it has good cleaning power), may I suggest you use up your PG sealant first.
A more expensive often-talked-about $80 sealant doesn't necessarily mean it'll "last" longer. Many variables are involved. The key is to wash regularly to minimise stains and apply your stuff and QD as frequently as you can. If I were you, I'd focus on washing and QD'ing as regularly as possible with whatever products you feel comfortable with that suits your budget.

How often you do it is far more important than what brands you use.

vr2turbo

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,462 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Oct 6 2013, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wax for better looks and more warmth with less durability but less water spotting for dark coloured cars if you can see water spots. Sealant for better durability and gives a harder shine more suited for light coloured cars.

The secret to 15+years of great looking shine with original factory paint is to protect and wash regularly. Tried and test. What product doesn't really matter, what matters is the correct product and regular maintenance with proper washing techniques and no "outside Bangla or regular car wash" car wash unless fully trusted.

In terms of product quality you might want to upgrade a step up rather than to use those OTC products you mentioned.

AIO = Duragloss 501

All the above mentioned products are really good bang for the buck in terms of performance and all available easily locally. Megs stuff is ok but not so good bang for the buck. I personally prefer megs products for their pro range of polishes rather than their OTC stuff.

Add a little DG105 to DG aquawax and use after every wash. My Tiggo have not been polished in 3 years, but washed weekly....ha! ha!

vios2000

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Oct 6 2013, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AIO = Duragloss 501

Hello Jon,

Can I said the following combination is sufficient ?
1. Wash + ClaY Bar+ DG 501 + Sealant(or Wax) + Spray Wax

Cheers

vios2000

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 6 2013, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Add a little DG105 to DG aquawax and use after every wash. My Tiggo have not been polished in 3 years, but washed weekly....ha! ha!

smile_thumbup.gif

jonlsl

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (vios2000 @ Oct 6 2013, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Jon,

Can I said the following combination is sufficient ?
1. Wash + Clay Bar+ DG 501 + Sealant(or Wax) + Spray Wax

Cheers

Yes correct. Paint clean = Clay + AIO 2-4x per year. Sealant/wax after every paint clean session. Then in between as needed. Spray wax after every wash or 2 weeks or as often as needed deepening on how much rain and how much time you spend on highway in the rain.

Especially the lower portion of the car as that is where the protection wears away really quickly as you get constant water splashing from the tyres unless you have good mudflaps front and rear which most cars don't have these days.

The routine applies to most cars but solid white without clear coat needs special attention and different products to reduce paint staining. Hope your car is not a solid white with no clear on it. biggrin.gif

g88

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
Hi sifus,

Is your are brand new car or old car which newly painted ? What colour is it and do you park open air all time ?

vios2000

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Oct 6 2013, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes correct. Paint clean = Clay + AIO 2-4x per year. Sealant/wax after every paint clean session. Then in between as needed. Spray wax after every wash or 2 weeks or as often as needed deepening on how much rain and how much time you spend on highway in the rain.

Especially the lower portion of the car as that is where the protection wears away really quickly as you get constant water splashing from the tyres unless you have good mudflaps front and rear which most cars don't have these days.

The routine applies to most cars but solid white without clear coat needs special attention and different products to reduce paint staining. Hope your car is not a solid white with no clear on it. biggrin.gif

Thank Jon.

vios2000

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

vios2000

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Oct 6 2013, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is your are brand new car or old car which newly painted ? What colour is it and do you park open air all time ?

Hello G88,

Mine is a brand new car with pearl white.. park at home, with covered park park.