Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Ipa = Methylated Spirit?

• Please log in to reply

arch5069

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

arch5069

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Aug 7 2013, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IPA = Isopropyl alcohol can mix with water, alcohol, ether and chloroform.

Methylated spirits is predominantly ethanol, whereas IPA is predominantly isopropyl alcohol. IPA is quite good at cleaning greasy marks, fingerprints, solder flux etc, from glass, circuit boards, tape heads and optics. It evaporates more slowly than meths. The IPA in my cleaning supplies is >99.9% pure and it should evaporate with no residue.

Wax remover work same as IPA but there are some where you need to rinse/water after use...typically they are ready to use product - no need to mix with water.

Thank you for your info. So it would be alright to use wax remover from paint shop if I can't find IPA, right? Strange why auto paint shops don't sell IPA. Where do you guys get your IPA supplies from anyway? Hardware shops?

Regards

QUOTE (g88 @ Aug 7 2013, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgot to mentioned. Saw IPA over the weekend...Rm20 and Rm15 per liter.

Different is one is 99% Pure IPA, one is 75% IPA. Use to clean electronic stuff.

Where did you see this, bro?

arch5069

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

arch5069

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
QUOTE (stsum @ Aug 7 2013, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IPA can be use to clean paint. but its dry very fast, therefore, its advisable used thinners from hardware shop .
do not polish too hard until the car original paint become faint. polish gently and patient.

You mean use paint thinner as a wipedown after compund/polish before sealant/wax/coating? Won't thst be too harsh on paintwork?

arch5069

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

arch5069

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 7 2013, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yah! spray painter friend also mentioned before not to use thinners to clean paint.

If IPA dries too fast then using the 75% ones will be better... smile_tongue.gif

Ahhh...now I undy. The higher the percentage of IPA, it flashes faster, correct? So the norm is for 75%?

As for the one from Guradian Pharmacy which is listed as 75%, so can I just transfer that into a spray bottle and use it neat without diluting anymore with water?

KrisMas

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
I normally use IPA (99.9% purity) at 50% dilution....

vr2turbo

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,466 posts
QUOTE (arch5069 @ Aug 17 2013, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhh...now I undy. The higher the percentage of IPA, it flashes faster, correct? So the norm is for 75%?

As for the one from Guradian Pharmacy which is listed as 75%, so can I just transfer that into a spray bottle and use it neat without diluting anymore with water?

Oh! 75% purity and strength is different. Might as well follow bro. krismas use 99% purity mix 50% distilled water...

junbecks

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

junbecks

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
sheeeeeeeeeet, havent log in for so long.
Ok to clear things up.

Methylated spirit is a mix of Denatured Ethanols and Methanols. (methyl- get it?)
You can ask what is Denatured in another question if you're not sure.

IPA is simply propanol. (propyl-alcohol)

1. Users like us use IPA for wipedown on car paint. Its strong but doesnt kill paint so easily.
2. You caaaan use ethanol but its slower.
3. about purity:

A bottle of 100% water is supposed to be 100% water right? But you read the label it might have iron, magnesium, potassium,
these are called minerals.
Hence its called Mineral Water.
100% water is called Distilled Water. Nothing else inside.

A bottle of 100% Ethanol is very hard to produce. So you produce something like 99.9999% Ethanol.
This means the 0.0001% is something else.

If I am a chemical company and I sell you a product that is 75% Ethanol and 25% something else, thats a very crap product.

Those working in labs and factories will buy something pure first, like 99,999%. Then they go ahead and dilute it themselves. Because they might need different dilutions for different experiments. Very rarely will labs buy 75% Ethanol. No use already.

Washing a car should be an artform, not a chore.

WTB Any acidic wheel cleaner
[PM me if you want Iso-propyl Alcohol, IPA.]

junbecks

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

junbecks

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
And when working with IPA, try to have a fan nearby to blow the vapour away.
Washing a car should be an artform, not a chore.

WTB Any acidic wheel cleaner
[PM me if you want Iso-propyl Alcohol, IPA.]

vr2turbo

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,466 posts
Thanks bro. junbecks. As mentioned now understand the different between purity and dilution....ha! ha! smile_tongue.gif

CoffeeDude

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

CoffeeDude

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
QUOTE (arch5069 @ Aug 17 2013, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for your info. So it would be alright to use wax remover from paint shop if I can't find IPA, right? Strange why auto paint shops don't sell IPA. Where do you guys get your IPA supplies from anyway? Hardware shops?

I got my IPA from this seller

https://forum.lowyat...owtopic=1961497