Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Vios Absorber And Rubber Bush Questions

• Please log in to reply

cowboy

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

cowboy

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
Hi all,

Good day to all. I have some questions that I hope you guys can help share some knowledge.

My Vios J Spec 2008 model has a mileage of 130,000 km. It is stock absorber and spring.
Front absorbers had never been changed, rear sets had been changed before under warranty due to leakage (one side at 35,000km, the other one at around 50,000 km).

I felt that my Vios' ride had become more harsh and stiff, and when going to rail track or things like bridge expansion joints, the the feeling is worse (as if you over inflate the tires). The feeling of the ride is abit like those lowered spring cars.
And also, going over rough and coarse road surface, its noisier with now, with more structure bone noise.

Here's my questions.

1. Should I change only rear absorbers or both front and rear?

2. Do you think I should change the absorber bush and lower arm bush as well? I felt this contributed to noisy ride over coarse road surface, and stiff feeling over potholes and bridge expansion joints.

2.1 And most important question, how many bush I need to replace that should make a difference?
Rear absorber no bush one? Rear only have lower arm bush? It comes together with the arm, so replacing means together with the lower arm?
Front absorber has bush?

3. One thing that I find confusing is that. My general understanding (and also from internet), is that normally a worn out absorber will produce a floaty extra soft ride, nose dip when braking.
But my ride instead getting those soft floaty feeling, its becoming sort of more stiff and harsh.
Different type of cars react differently when absorber is worn out?

Hope to hear some reply from all thanks.

khskeet

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

khskeet

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
QUOTE (cowboy @ Jul 31 2013, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

Good day to all. I have some questions that I hope you guys can help share some knowledge.

My Vios J Spec 2008 model has a mileage of 130,000 km. It is stock absorber and spring.
Front absorbers had never been changed, rear sets had been changed before under warranty due to leakage (one side at 35,000km, the other one at around 50,000 km).

I felt that my Vios' ride had become more harsh and stiff, and when going to rail track or things like bridge expansion joints, the the feeling is worse (as if you over inflate the tires). The feeling of the ride is abit like those lowered spring cars.
And also, going over rough and coarse road surface, its noisier with now, with more structure bone noise.

Here's my questions.

2. Do you think I should change the absorber bush and lower arm bush as well? I felt this contributed to noisy ride over coarse road surface, and stiff feeling over potholes and bridge expansion joints.

2.1 And most important question, how many bush I need to replace that should make a difference?
Rear absorber no bush one? Rear only have lower arm bush? It comes together with the arm, so replacing means together with the lower arm?
Front absorber has bush?

3. One thing that I find confusing is that. My general understanding (and also from internet), is that normally a worn out absorber will produce a floaty extra soft ride, nose dip when braking.
But my ride instead getting those soft floaty feeling, its becoming sort of more stiff and harsh.

1. I think you should check the absorber just to know if it really coming from abs or which abs.
2. Change if damage, yes normally
2.1 hard to say.
3. Yes and no. If abs is damage it will not hold and keep the car bouncy in another words as you say floaty, this has to be the same on all cars. From the understanding here the problem might comes from your stering or lower arm.

cowboy

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

cowboy

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
QUOTE (khskeet @ Aug 2 2013, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your input - here's my reply

1. I think you should check the absorber just to know if it really coming from abs or which abs.
Cowboy - The stiffer ride seems to feel harder when the rear wheel hits the bump, which I assume is coming from rear.
However, the front absorber has quite a long mileage then, 130,000km.

2. Change if damage, yes normally
Cowboy - Do you mind if you can share your knowledge further, how many bush do a Vios 08 J spec model has -
Front absorber one bush each? Rear absorber only lower arm bush?
I had tried to find out this, and different folks give different answers, and called Service Center, I am afraid I have no confidence in their answers (you know la, the folks attending to calls are just some staff sitting mainly in the office and looking at their paper specs only, they don't have the real understanding)

So, if you may not be very familiar with Vios, do you mind if you can direct me to anyone who is well versed with this car?

3. Yes and no. If abs is damage it will not hold and keep the car bouncy in another words as you say floaty, this has to be the same on all cars. From the understanding here the problem might comes from your stering or lower arm.
Cowboy - a lower arm damage then?

mike1983

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

mike1983

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
QUOTE (cowboy @ Jul 31 2013, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

Here's my questions.

Front absorber has bush?

Ur mileage edi show 130k. Better change it complete FRT & RR absorber. About the bush, this vios model NCP93 bush hard to damage. Everytime we just change the absorber with the FRT stabilizer link only. However need to do visual check to give u the quotation. FRT lower arm torn also not giving best ride.