Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Masking Tape

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:33 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (smi6688 @ Mar 30 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys for sharing your experience in relation to masking tape... recently, I have a bad experience using brand 'AAA' bought at mamak shop... it left adhessive residue so much until I have to spend more time to clean it... smile_angry.gif

Before this, I used Unicorn brand... so far okay but since that day, phobia to use masking tape already... will source in the internet for cheaper blue 3M...

rgrds,

That was what kris sifu was mentioning.
More expensive tape but less gum transfer and less work getting the gum off.... smile_thumbup.gif

mubull

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:00 AM

mubull

Tokyo Drifter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Mar 31 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was what kris sifu was mentioning.
More expensive tape but less gum transfer and less work getting the gum off.... smile_thumbup.gif

well~ I used those 3M Blue before thanks to Kris. and yes, protection is better than my cheap RM2 masking tape. So I only used it to protect the headlight since its expensive and used those RM2 (bought from Mr.DIY) tape to protect rubber or gap. Those small 3 3/4 inch pad do help when polishing those edge and I used some shampoo to wipe off those gum without problem so far... Maybe I did not Ram too hard on those edge area.

cheers.... Duragloss The Wet Look
www.duragloss.com.my
facebook.com/duraglossmalaysia

mubull

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

mubull

Tokyo Drifter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
QUOTE (hitachi @ Mar 30 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well I can get you RM1.60 for 27m

I think we shd bring our own Masking tape and do some comparison during next TT. to find out which is more value for $$.
cheers.... Duragloss The Wet Look
www.duragloss.com.my
facebook.com/duraglossmalaysia

smi6688

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

smi6688

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
QUOTE (mubull @ Mar 31 2009, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we shd bring our own Masking tape and do some comparison during next TT. to find out which is more value for $$.

Brilliant idea... please update your observation here so that we don't waste money trying various brand...

rgrds,

KrisMas

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
Personally I've used the normal ones from the paintshop, the Cinta brand (white) and the 3M blue. IMHO, performance wise the blue wins hands down...but unfortunately it's also the most expensive one.

When I was using the normal tapes a couple of years ago, the worst part was the residue it left on the rubber seal of my windscreen. Some of it is still there now and I dare not use any strong solvent to remove them fearing that it would harm the seal. I wish I had invested in the 3m blue back then.

Regards.

mankarat

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

mankarat

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Mar 31 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I've used the normal ones from the paintshop, the Cinta brand (white) and the 3M blue. IMHO, performance wise the blue wins hands down...but unfortunately it's also the most expensive one.

When I was using the normal tapes a couple of years ago, the worst part was the residue it left on the rubber seal of my windscreen. Some of it is still there now and I dare not use any strong solvent to remove them fearing that it would harm the seal. I wish I had invested in the 3m blue back then.

Regards.

Ace hardware blue tape also good...and cheaper than 3m....

KrisMas

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
???? I thought the ACE blue IS the 3M blue? The scotch brand? *getting confused*

vr2turbo

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Apr 1 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
???? I thought the ACE blue IS the 3M blue? The scotch brand? *getting confused*

If ciplak ones comes out with blue masking tape, lagi confused..... smile_big.gif

Lechuck

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Lechuck

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 777 posts
I used the brown paper type of tape to mask the rubber and vinyl linings before compounding the car previously but I get tape residue after removing the tape...the gum is a b*tch to remove! Any advice on what type of masking tape that I should use instead without having any residues?
Thanks!

g88

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
QUOTE (Lechuck @ Jul 30 2013, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used the brown paper type of tape to mask the rubber and vinyl linings before compounding the car previously but I get tape residue after removing the tape...the gum is a b*tch to remove! Any advice on what type of masking tape that I should use instead without having any residues?
Thanks!

painters tape - can get from ACE. Do not leave residue. I think your masking tape expired too. By right shouldn't leave residue