Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Timing Belt Or Chain.

• Please log in to reply

tkhoo

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

tkhoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
All sifu,

May I know below statement true or not? Duratec engine use timing chain?

Zetec engine's belt is good for 100k miles no problems.
Duratec engine's belt is a chain.

Anyone here change the chain before? As I heard that chain no need to change till we hear metal rub sound than it time to change, am I right?

Breadman

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Breadman

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
Duratec uses timing chain. No need to change.

Watch this video:

For engines using a timing belt I will change at about 75k even if the manufacturer recommends 100k.

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime." ~ Mario Puzo (The Godfather)

tkhoo

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

tkhoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
QUOTE (Breadman @ Jul 14 2013, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Duratec uses timing chain. No need to change.

Watch this video:

For engines using a timing belt I will change at about 75k even if the manufacturer recommends 100k.

Focus sifu,

Nice to hear from you. That mean all the Focus that selling at mudah.com.my with 2.0L hatchback with duratec engine, am I right? So from your experience, when will be the time to change the chain?

Actually now I gather more information what should I need to prepare to change if get a used Focus 05/06.

Thanks in advance.

Breadman

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Breadman

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
Ya, all the Focus MKII petrol models sold here uses timing chain. The chain can last a long time. I hardly hear of people changing this part. Anyway this part is mileage related. Check out the cumulative mileage of the car you intend to buy.

tkhoo

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

tkhoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
QUOTE (Breadman @ Jul 14 2013, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya, all the Focus MKII petrol models sold here uses timing chain. The chain can last a long time. I hardly hear of people changing this part. Anyway this part is mileage related. Check out the cumulative mileage of the car you intend to buy.

Great to hear the information that I got from internet is 90% right on the timing chain.

May I know this Focus must use particular AMT oil or it can be use any brand? Same as other brand to change the oil every 20-30k km?

Sorry for not gather all the question together. Thanks for your time.

Breadman

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Breadman

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
QUOTE (tkhoo @ Jul 14 2013, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great to hear the information that I got from internet is 90% right on the timing chain.

May I know this Focus must use particular AMT oil or it can be use any brand? Same as other brand to change the oil every 20-30k km?

Sorry for not gather all the question together. Thanks for your time.

For ATF you can use Motorcraft Mercon V or any reputable brand of the same grade. As for when to change, different mechanics will tell you differently. Changing every 50k should be OK.

If I am buying a used car I would change all the fluids and rubber belts upon taking delivery. Just a precaution.

tkhoo

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

tkhoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
QUOTE (Breadman @ Jul 14 2013, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For ATF you can use Motorcraft Mercon V or any reputable brand of the same grade. As for when to change, different mechanics will tell you differently. Changing every 50k should be OK.

If I am buying a used car I would change all the fluids and rubber belts upon taking delivery. Just a precaution.

May I know Focus use what viscosity & weight for engine oil?

May I know did ATF got any specification like engine oil(viscosity & weight)? If yes, may I know the specification if I can't find Motorcraft Mercon V ATF.

How about brake oil? Can just add with different brand if needed?

Thanks again.

Breadman

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

Breadman

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
May I know Focus use what viscosity & weight for engine oil? [Synthetic 5W-40. You can also use semi-synthetic with shorter service interval, say, every 7500 km]

May I know did ATF got any specification like engine oil(viscosity & weight)? If yes, may I know the specification if I can't find Motorcraft Mercon V ATF. [Different rating as engine oil. The rating is DEXRON or MERCON]

How about brake oil? Can just add with different brand if needed? [Don't mix. Stick to same brand and type DOT4]

Thanks again.

tkhoo

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

tkhoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
QUOTE (Breadman @ Jul 14 2013, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May I know Focus use what viscosity & weight for engine oil? [Synthetic 5W-40. You can also use semi-synthetic with shorter service interval, say, every 7500 km]

May I know did ATF got any specification like engine oil(viscosity & weight)? If yes, may I know the specification if I can't find Motorcraft Mercon V ATF. [Different rating as engine oil. The rating is DEXRON or MERCON]

How about brake oil? Can just add with different brand if needed? [Don't mix. Stick to same brand and type DOT4]

Thanks again.

Thanks. If I confirm get 1 from KL, might need your help..........smile.gif

spiceman

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

spiceman

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts

Mr. Breadman,
I just bought 2ndhand Focus 2007, Can you suggest the best mechanic for servicing in Klang Valley.