Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Best Truck For Reliability And Resale? Which?

• Please log in to reply

brl

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

brl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

FORD RANGER OR HILUX OR TRITON OR NAVARA? I AM CONSIDERING THIS AS MY 2ND VEHICLE. smile_cool.gif

LanGanu007

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:50 PM

LanGanu007

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts
QUOTE (brl @ Jun 23 2013, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FORD RANGER OR HILUX OR TRITON OR NAVARA? I AM CONSIDERING THIS AS MY 2ND VEHICLE. smile_cool.gif

To exactly answer your question, the general consensus is obviously HILUX. But if you can be a little bit flexible with your criteria, perhaps you can safely go for the RANGER. In as much as I love the HILUX, to this day, I still cannot get past the fact that one needs to service the HILUX EVERY 5000km smile_angry.gif

I do understand that Toyota justifies this for reliability, durability and warranty (of course, they wouldn't admit it, but also for economic) reasons. But let's not forget that diesels are always high mileage vehicles. 5000km will be covered within 2 weeks if a diesel is driven as how it is meant to be driven.

If Ford and Mazda can put 10,000km service intervals to their diesels (heck...BMW puts it between 15,000km to 20,000km even with M'sian poor diesel), why can't Toyota?

So, brl, it's your call. If I were to be in your place and with the choices you listed above, I'll go for the RANGER. However, if this is uncharted territory for you and you prefer the safe route, you won't go wrong with the HILUX. Happy hunting smile_thumbup.gif
--007--

netsoft

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

netsoft

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
QUOTE (LanGanu007 @ Aug 14 2013, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To exactly answer your question, the general consensus is obviously HILUX. But if you can be a little bit flexible with your criteria, perhaps you can safely go for the RANGER. In as much as I love the HILUX, to this day, I still cannot get past the fact that one needs to service the HILUX EVERY 5000km smile_angry.gif

I do understand that Toyota justifies this for reliability, durability and warranty (of course, they wouldn't admit it, but also for economic) reasons. But let's not forget that diesels are always high mileage vehicles. 5000km will be covered within 2 weeks if a diesel is driven as how it is meant to be driven.

If Ford and Mazda can put 10,000km service intervals to their diesels (heck...BMW puts it between 15,000km to 20,000km even with M'sian poor diesel), why can't Toyota?

So, brl, it's your call. If I were to be in your place and with the choices you listed above, I'll go for the RANGER. However, if this is uncharted territory for you and you prefer the safe route, you won't go wrong with the HILUX. Happy hunting smile_thumbup.gif

Am I dreaming?
It has nothing to do with the fact that every Hilux need to service for such short intervals. It all, however, depends on your wallet if you are willing to go for full synthetic oil. The standard service package for Toyota Hilux uses mineral oil, hence explains the short intervals. If you want a 10,000km service intervals, go consult nearest service centers and request for full synthetic. The original oil filter can last 10,000km.

escapee

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

escapee

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (netsoft @ Aug 20 2013, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I dreaming?
It has nothing to do with the fact that every Hilux need to service for such short intervals. It all, however, depends on your wallet if you are willing to go for full synthetic oil. The standard service package for Toyota Hilux uses mineral oil, hence explains the short intervals. If you want a 10,000km service intervals, go consult nearest service centers and request for full synthetic. The original oil filter can last 10,000km.

Use FS oil also 5000km interval. Its true, I have tried and SC tell me the same thing. Good money for SC, why would they hit their own feet with a stone?

jaylee

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

jaylee

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
QUOTE (brl @ Jun 23 2013, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are you thinking of resale even before buying the vehicle?

brl

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

brl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I THINK RANGER (THE NEW MOD) HAVE IMPROVED IN RESALE VALUE.

I AM HOLDING BACK AFTER READING NEWS FROM AUSTRALIA ABOUT NEW HILUX COMING NEXT YEAR.

scenic

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (brl @ Oct 18 2013, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I THINK RANGER (THE NEW MOD) HAVE IMPROVED IN RESALE VALUE.

I AM HOLDING BACK AFTER READING NEWS FROM AUSTRALIA ABOUT NEW HILUX COMING NEXT YEAR.

Bro,
Now going for truck ? Cheers.
director's choice

tewniasing

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

tewniasing

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
Seriously..Hilux has resale value?How to have resale value when the chances of it being sold off is lower than being stolen,imagine buying one,one have to pay expensive insurance,then one spend even more on buying locks and extra security feature,then one worries about car being stolen worse still car jacked....then when you go thru the ardous period of no vehicle,dealing with police and insurance...worst still the payout from insurance is not good and you have a loan to service....
seriously the badge Toyota and resale value is so much important.
secondly,ranger really beat hilux on spec and design...and
Thirdly,exactly how many years does an ordinary man lives and how many times we change our drives in our life times,not many....live your life...lose a bit more money can find back,go ahead and experience,enjoy the rides and kill the curiosity in you.....

brl

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

brl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I KNOW THE CURRENT RANGER IS MORE STABLE THAN HILUX NOW.

BUT I READ A NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS LIKE UNPLEASANT TO DRIVE LONG DISTANCES.
NOT SURE IF THOSE RANGER HAD TYRE MODIFICATIONS.

roocarroll

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
QUOTE (brl @ Nov 22 2013, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I KNOW THE CURRENT RANGER IS MORE STABLE THAN HILUX NOW.

BUT I READ A NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS LIKE UNPLEASANT TO DRIVE LONG DISTANCES.
NOT SURE IF THOSE RANGER HAD TYRE MODIFICATIONS.

Unless you modify the suspension and reduce the load capacity and ride height, all pick-up trucks will be less comfortable than sedans. I've driven mine to Kuantan and back and it's definitely more tiring than driving a sedan but the same will be true of all pick-ups.