Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

New To Rotary Need Guidance

• Please log in to reply

flowerhorn

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

flowerhorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
I will be purchasing a rotary polisher. Dewalt 849x. No experience with it before. Hope someone could shed some light to me? Is the backing plate like the the Velcro one? Can I use my existing Lc 5.5" pads with it?

arch5069

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

arch5069

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
QUOTE (flowerhorn @ Jun 18 2013, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be purchasing a rotary polisher. Dewalt 849x. No experience with it before. Hope someone could shed some light to me? Is the backing plate like the the Velcro one? Can I use my existing Lc 5.5" pads with it?

Congratulations on your purchase of the dewalt. Although I don't own one yet but from others review locally and overseas, that is one impressive machine. However the weight is a disadvantage to me. Nevetheless, good buying choice.

Experience comes with hands on practice, practice, practice and more practice as all the sifus will tell you again and again. And the rotary is not that fearful to use too as what some may warn. Initially go slow on the speed like speed 1 till you get the hang of it .

5.5 pads fits on a 5 inch backing plate so you may need to purchase a separate bp as the bundle comes with a 6inch? And you may also want to get a 3inch too for those narrow parts like the b pillars.

Happy rotaring and please do share with us your polishing experience with it. For your info, I started with a rotary too buts it was a cheapo china bohai unit.

vr2turbo

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
As mentioned by bro. arch, different size pads uses different size backing plate. If into compounding etc., probably you will need different types of pads too. Wool, velvet, finishing and so on....

Main thing is to learn to control the RB, keeping moving it around and not at one spot all the time or it will burn the paint.
Careful with corners and uneven surfaces....

flowerhorn

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

flowerhorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
Thanks for your encouragement, bros. I got the dewalt as it was not too expensive. And I like the colour. Lol. I thought that the best way to learn was just to get one. Besides techniques, which will take a long journey to master, I would need the equipment to start with such as backing plate and pads as mentioned. But I have no clue where can I get them. Any reccomendations sifus?

KrisMas

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
Osren....one stop centre for ALL your detailing needs....

flowerhorn

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

flowerhorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
Great! Thanks bro smile_thumbup.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (flowerhorn @ Jun 19 2013, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great! Thanks bro smile_thumbup.gif

Ask and probably can get some coaching tips too..... smile_tongue.gif

flowerhorn

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

flowerhorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jun 20 2013, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ask and probably can get some coaching tips too..... smile_tongue.gif

Cool. Are they open on Saturday too?

KrisMas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
The last I know of...Saturday until lunch only...

vr2turbo

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Jun 20 2013, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last I know of...Saturday until lunch only...

Go lunch time can get free lunch ah?.....hahahahahaha smile_big.gif