Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

How Do I Clean Microfiber Cloth

• Please log in to reply

flowerhorn

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

flowerhorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
I'm having trouble removing the wax/sealant from the microfibres cloth. The cloth might be clean but when it is dried, it will still contain a layer of wax which makes the cloth sort of waterproof. It can't absorb moisture. I have tried soaking it in dawn and vinegar, also dg ultimate orange. Helps abit. Any advise bros?

vr2turbo

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,471 posts
QUOTE (flowerhorn @ Jun 10 2013, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm having trouble removing the wax/sealant from the microfibres cloth. The cloth might be clean but when it is dried, it will still contain a layer of wax which makes the cloth sort of waterproof. It can't absorb moisture. I have tried soaking it in dawn and vinegar, also dg ultimate orange. Helps abit. Any advise bros?

Brother, for what you explain like your cloth is coated with wax? Is this the cloth for buffing? I wash mine with washing detergent only...

flowerhorn

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

flowerhorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jun 11 2013, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brother, for what you explain like your cloth is coated with wax? Is this the cloth for buffing? I wash mine with washing detergent only...

Yes bro. Sorry left that out. The cloth is for buffing. I have also tried max kleen9. Doesn't seem to help too. Do I need to scrub the cloth with a clothes scrubber? I don't do that fearing it would damage the cloth

arch5069

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

arch5069

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jun 11 2013, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bro, may you share which brand wash detergent you're using? As for me, I'm just using generic dish wash like those being use by hawkers. I'll scrub by hand and soak in the dish wash solution overnight. Subsequently the next day will rinse twice and then soak overnight again in a pail of water with distilled vinegar. So far it seems to be clean enough but am still looking out for better and more effective methods.

Thought of trying the microfiber rejuvenator but its costly. Are there anyone here using it.

How do I get rid of stains on the cloth? Can vanish be used?

Regards

flowerhorn

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

flowerhorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
QUOTE (arch5069 @ Jun 11 2013, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro, may you share which brand wash detergent you're using? As for me, I'm just using generic dish wash like those being use by hawkers. I'll scrub by hand and soak in the dish wash solution overnight. Subsequently the next day will rinse twice and then soak overnight again in a pail of water with distilled vinegar. So far it seems to be clean enough but am still looking out for better and more effective methods.

Thought of trying the microfiber rejuvenator but its costly. Are there anyone here using it.

Regards

Max kleen and dawn bro.

This is the results.

vr2turbo

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,471 posts

Regards

Just the normal washing detergent my wife buys for washing clothes. Zip, Daia and so on. I soak and scrub by hand only and I try to wash them less as any washing will degrade them. Scrubbing with brush is worse....

KrisMas

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

I don't think it got anything much to do with wax residue. By it's nature, microfiber cloth would bead water because of it's microscopic strands. You'd need to 'break it in', then only it would absorb water. Don't worry too much about it.

Regards

Dish washing liquid would do fine. But try not to soak them for too long. One or two hours enough already. Overnight would be over kill and it might cause the fibers to deteriorate/hardened faster. Rinsing/soaking in vinegar is actually to neutralise whatever detergent left so that it won't harm the mf. No need to overdo that either.

My normal method would be to soak my mfs for around an hour or two, lay it down on a clean floor then spray all the dirt off with my pressure washer or my hose on fan setting....no scrubbing required. So far so good and 95% of the time my mfs would come out looking as good as new. I used to use dishwashing detergent (Sunlight) and it worked fine. But after I got my hand on some micro restore, it does seem to work better....easier to clean and softer after they dry (but maybe just some placebo effect though....hehehe...).

If there are still some stain after your wash, you can try the above method. Don't scrub with a brush though....the strands would definitely get damaged doing that. If still can't get it out, you'd have to live with it. It should be safe for use as those are most probably stain instead of dirt grit. If you're still not comfortable using it, then don't. Get some new ones and delegate the stained ones for 'coarse' uses.

Regards.

cbsteh

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
I soak my MF cloths in Dawn liquid dish soap overnight with no ill effects. It is better to soak for a couple of hours, rinse, change water and put in fresh Dawn liquid soap, then soak for a couple of hours more. Then wash the MF cloths in washing machine using washing machine powder. I use Tide but notice no difference than your regular and cheaper soap. I also add Baking powder with Tide - but, yup, no visible difference either.

SPiD3RMaN

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

SPiD3RMaN

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
Throw it into the washing machine, on a normal cycle with the recommended doses of washing detergent.
Settled.

eohl79

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Your wax/sealant must be very good then! Try finding a cleaner/APC/degreaser/etc that can remove your wax/sealant without much agitation first. As I know most good waxes/sealants are pretty resistant to cleaners (which are mostly alkali based including DG ultimate orange) but not so to acid. One thing vinegar is a pretty weak acid. Talking about it... have not tried Meg's wheel brightener on a MF before...