Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

New Serena C26 Hybrid

• Please log in to reply

jayraptor

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
In US, hybrid cars that can sell are only the top few with best FC. Those with not that great FC difference would end up on worst sales list and not long got phased out of market.

Toyota Prius C at RM80k+ close to RM90K (forgot the price) only returns around 650km with 34L of fuel = 19km/L in city driving therefore it could sell. Insight, CRZ, Jazz hybrid that returns only 13-14km/L+ got worst sales and phased out of US market.

As people said, when buy hybrid car, buy the one with best FC and most affordable like Prius, or else don't buy at all. Reason being, the FC saved from getting hybrid not enough to cover the cost of RV loss, maintenance or any of the expensive electric motor, invertor, etc replacement. 1 engine already headache, now 2 engines double the headache yet with more electronic components equal few more headache.

The Serena is utterly ugly. With that price, better buy diesel powered Starex if wanted MPV that returns 10-11km/L or new Santa Fe that gets 11km/L. WHy bother to get hybrid that is not getting huge FC difference? This is why the NAP so relax to give tax exemption. They have calculated well that the benefit you get from hybrid can't cover back the tax exemption + FC saved.

jolokia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

jolokia

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 2 2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In US, hybrid cars that can sell are only the top few with best FC. Those with not that great FC difference would end up on worst sales list and not long got phased out of market.

Toyota Prius C at RM80k+ close to RM90K (forgot the price) only returns around 650km with 34L of fuel = 19km/L in city driving therefore it could sell. Insight, CRZ, Jazz hybrid that returns only 13-14km/L+ got worst sales and phased out of US market.

As people said, when buy hybrid car, buy the one with best FC and most affordable like Prius, or else don't buy at all. Reason being, the FC saved from getting hybrid not enough to cover the cost of RV loss, maintenance or any of the expensive electric motor, invertor, etc replacement. 1 engine already headache, now 2 engines double the headache yet with more electronic components equal few more headache.

The Serena is utterly ugly. With that price, better buy diesel powered Starex if wanted MPV that returns 10-11km/L or new Santa Fe that gets 11km/L. WHy bother to get hybrid that is not getting huge FC difference? This is why the NAP so relax to give tax exemption. They have calculated well that the benefit you get from hybrid can't cover back the tax exemption + FC saved.

Wahaha... Starex is actually an commercial van name H1 Cargo later been modify & renamed Grand Starex here, u r comparing Van with MPV.
Ur Van should compare to N brand Urvan...lol.... smile_tongue.gif
Stupid ! Hybrid is about emissions lah ! ding dong ! even Aunty AYap says so.
Great Ideology Creates Great Times - Yuri Irsenovich Kim

feelfree

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

feelfree

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 2 2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, just showing how stupid you are!!!!!

replay

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

replay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I went for a test drive 2 weeks back. IMHO it's a tad expensive if assuming that there is the hybrid rebate. I personally like the car just the price is not so attractive. How much do you think the serena would depreciate by after 5 years?

ckl050877

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

ckl050877

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 765 posts
Generally, majority of Malaysian mentality is far behind of European. You may want to deny it but fact is the fact.

When talk about Hybrid car, we will think of fuel consumption saved is not enough to cover the higher price as compared to diesel or petrol car, is not enough to cover higher maintenance fee.

Please think of it, the initial purpose of hybrid car creation is not just saved fuel. It is created to save our earth!

No wonder we still can see open burning everywhere in Malaysia even when the haze is very serious.

ckl050877

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

ckl050877

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 765 posts
QUOTE (LS71 @ Jul 30 2013, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me quote some facts here as example to gauge whether this new Serena hybrid is overpriced?

1) Civic Hybrid selling RM119k in Peninsular and 116k in Langkawi ... The 3k different perhaps is because of the 10% sales tax? It mean if excise duty and imports duty are exempted, the Hybrid car selling in Peninsular should be not much different compared to the car sold in Langkawi

2) Premium mpv like S-max (2.0 turbo engine) is selling for RM199k in peninsular while in Langkawi is selling for RM109k. The huge different of 90k is because s-max is not an hybrid car thus excise duty and import duty are applicable for Peninsular

My doubt is :

1) Is the manufacturing cost of Serena MPV simple hybrid higher than S-Max 2.0 turbo / ecoboost? If not why Serena hybrid is selling @ RM149k? If yes it mean this simple hybrid systems is much more costly to build compared to turbo powered engine s-max which also come with much more accessories like 9 airbags, better sound systems, sun roof etc ... Not sure about this

2) If Serena Hybrid is not exempted from excise duty / import tax, it should be selling at around 250k or slightly below ... Is this Serena Hybrid really worth for RM250k if it is not tax exempted ?

Anybody has better view / explanation on this?

I'm keen to see if government not to continue the excise duty exemption and import tax after Dec 2013, what would be the selling price of this Serena Hybrid ...

By the way, I'm having a NGL and very keen to upgrade to this new Serena Hybrid but is this RM149k a fair price in view government is giving full exemption on excise duty and import tax ?

We always mention full exemption on excise duty and import tax by Government, can anyone tell us that it is true?

ckl050877

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

ckl050877

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 765 posts
QUOTE (roykoh @ Jul 27 2013, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
from the picture
the outlook looks ugly
the interior looks cheap plasticky feel, like low end subspecies china car
but sell with an mainstream japan build car price
first is almera, now this serena, something very wrong with the nissan designer team
i doubt they would able to sell out any of these car if not for the badge of nissan

I can not comment the interior. But I think that the exterior is okay. For me, it is design to be rectangular so that it feels to be larger. Alphard and Welfire also use the same concept, just that they are larger, then why no one commented that they are ugly? Just because they are T badge?

If this Serena is manufactured by T, will we still comment it as ugly?

yykhai

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

yykhai

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
QUOTE (ymfoo @ Jul 31 2013, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to own a C24, the 1st modern Serena, more than 10 years ago. I bought it at RM145K. It was a great MPV except the power was just enough for daily use. In the event where you need the power to go up Genting in full load, it would not win any speed contest.

Saw this C26 hybrid at 1 U last week. I must say the interior material has improved tremendously, very near to Estima quality (which I had after the Serena). With so much upgrade and modern technology, it is sold only for RM150K!! I felt that I was conned for the C24 10 years ago!!!

To be fair, if you are looking for a roomy walk-through kind of MPV, you can't find a better choice. Innova is frame-on-chasis (van based) and the build quality is way below this. Exora is just no match for everything except the price.

Those who loath supporting the open AP holders and those who don't want to pay a similar price for a 6-7 year old Estima has not much options.

thinking to get a recond estima, but after looking at this new car i immediately trade in my T.avanza for this new toy!! I got a cash rebate of 1k hence the total bill is 148 500k instead of 149,500k. Free GPS, Reverse sensor camera which TC claims is RM 3300. smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif
other members feedback welcome.

devilito79

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

devilito79

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
QUOTE (yykhai @ Aug 21 2013, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thinking to get a recond estima, but after looking at this new car i immediately trade in my T.avanza for this new toy!! I got a cash rebate of 1k hence the total bill is 148 500k instead of 149,500k. Free GPS, Reverse sensor camera which TC claims is RM 3300. smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

Hi..
Can i know which showroom you go....planning to tradein with my WAJA....

Vegatron

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Vegatron

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,891 posts
QUOTE (yykhai @ Aug 21 2013, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a C24 owner, I took the plunge and booked a C26. The unfortunate thing is the trade in value is so bad for my 8 year old C24 ... smile_angry.gif Now I'm trying to sell it on my own via online ads (can't mention competitor websites right? smile_clown.gif ).

Just sharing my thoughts before I decided to place my booking:

EXTERIOR
Initially when paultan leaked photos of the C26, it didn't look palatable... C24 was more handsome looking. Seeing the actual vehicle was completely different. Front and side views, some how looks sportier than the C24, perhaps it's the lower stance and sharper lines. Just didn't like the rear coz of those white out vertical long rear lights. Gives it a boxy, narrow and tall look. Kinda like Kenari on steroids from behind. Over all, the C26 it won't look better than an estima or a vellfire for sure. However, the looks kinda grows on you after a while. Looks ok to me, maybe I need a little more time for the rear looks to grow on me smile_tongue.gif

INTERIOR
Now there's a whole new world in there. Felt like I stepped into the USS Enterprise or something. The instrument display is out of this world plus a reverse camera, GPS, audio system in the middle adds to the ultra modern feel. Start stop button, digital aircon controls, eco button, vehicle stability button, auto door buttons. Love the new position of the auto gear stick, rather than the old van/lorry style of gear stick in the C24.

Love the new flexibility of allowing the 2nd row seats to be 2 or 3 seater mode. We can still have a centre aisle in 7 seater mode. or we could make it 8 seater mode like Innova. Aircon vents for all 3 rows, digital controls for the rear aircons.

Love most of all, the auto doors... for the first time you don't need to be in an Estima or Vellfire or VW Touran to have twin auto doors. The thing is heaven sent!.... older folks and kids always have problem working my C24 manual sliding doors. I have to go open and close the doors for them most of the time. Bless you ETCM for keeping this feature on the C26. smile_thumbup.gif

DRIVEN
Finally, got a chance to test drive it. First thing is, the windows and windscreen are so big! panoramic view compared to the old C24. Also feels more spacious than the C24. Push start the engine, very snappy start. Operate the foot park brake, which is very familiar coz the C24 also uses foot park brakes. Popped it into D and off we go.

Feels more torqie compared to the C24, it has a few more Nm of twist plus the electric motor assist to help you take off from stand still. If not mistaken extra 50Nm. The main difference is the CVT gear shift. Feels exactly like driving a honda city. No more conventional 4 gear AT shift, kinda miss that... Over all NVH is quieter, maybe coz my C24 is getting old ... feels less bumpy than the C24. Handling and turning point is pretty much the same.

The S Hybrid works as advertized, you get an extra 50Nm of twist on take off. It does KERS on deceleration and braking (you can't feel this, just got to trust that it's doing it) and it shuts off the engine when waiting at the trafficlights. Release brakes and the engine comes back to life in 0.3 secs. Fast enough for you to get moving again. The instrument display need some getting used to, I was really lost looking at it. Just too many things going on in there. The only thing readable was the digital speedo.

Drove back to the show room and it was sold! 1k deposit immediately. smile_big.gif

Anyone wants to buy my C24? rolleyes.gif
I'm da Sushi Monster
Feeda me sushi! >:)