Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Outside Mist Windshield During Rain

• Please log in to reply

sastro

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

sastro

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts

Dear all masters,

Just got my new car about 2 months ago. Somehow during raining recently, the windshield builds mist/smudge on the outside when the wiper running. If I run the wiper just once (drizzling), the mist appears only for 5 second then disappears, but the wiper runs continuously during heavy rain, then the mist/smudge will appear all the time and quite disturbing my visibility.

Some car saloon offered me to do glass coating for RM 250. Is it necessary? as it's only 2 months old car.

Need your suggestion happy.gif

Thanks.

eohl79

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (sastro @ May 8 2013, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear all masters,

Just got my new car about 2 months ago. Somehow during raining recently, the windshield builds mist/smudge on the outside when the wiper running. If I run the wiper just once (drizzling), the mist appears only for 5 second then disappears, but the wiper runs continuously during heavy rain, then the mist/smudge will appear all the time and quite disturbing my visibility.

Some car saloon offered me to do glass coating for RM 250. Is it necessary? as it's only 2 months old car.

Thanks.

Noticed typically new windshield could have some left over adhesive/coating from the protective paper/plastic sheet used prior to installation. Really need to get that off. Just replaced my car windshield not too long ago and had the same problem as you described. Can try some rubbing alcohol first to clean up the glass. Then polish/clean your glass properly. You can get some mild glass polish from Autobacs, use a regular dense dish foam sponge (not the green coarse one) and work on the glass by hand and lightly misting the glass with water. Work on the glass till you see the water sort of sheet/sticks on the glass flat. Once completed, wash with regular car shampoo (not the wax and wash types), dry and apply a coating of Rain-X. Should solve your problem. To me glass coating is unnecessary. Better save your money and DIY. Oh yeah, don't forget to clean your wiper blades too.

faceoff97

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

faceoff97

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ May 9 2013, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noticed typically new windshield could have some left over adhesive/coating from the protective paper/plastic sheet used prior to installation. Really need to get that off. Just replaced my car windshield not too long ago and had the same problem as you described. Can try some rubbing alcohol first to clean up the glass. Then polish/clean your glass properly. You can get some mild glass polish from Autobacs, use a regular dense dish foam sponge (not the green coarse one) and work on the glass by hand and lightly misting the glass with water. Work on the glass till you see the water sort of sheet/sticks on the glass flat. Once completed, wash with regular car shampoo (not the wax and wash types), dry and apply a coating of Rain-X. Should solve your problem. To me glass coating is unnecessary. Better save your money and DIY. Oh yeah, don't forget to clean your wiper blades too.

I've just got my windshield replaced recently and also encountering the same issue.

Could I just use regular dish-washing liquid to 'kill' off the adhesive/coating/oil first prior to RainX application?
From your experience, how durable is RainX?

sastro

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

sastro

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ May 9 2013, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see, so comprehensive.. I'll do it this weekend musik19.gif

Thank you very much bro trink39.gif

eohl79

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (faceoff97 @ May 9 2013, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just got my windshield replaced recently and also encountering the same issue.

Could I just use regular dish-washing liquid to 'kill' off the adhesive/coating/oil first prior to RainX application?

Regular dish washing can't. Tried before. I did 1x IPA, then polished my windshield twice to really get all the adhesive off completely. Erm... Rain-X could last me 2-3 months before it completely wears off. It lasts best if you apply it on a completely clean and just polished glass.

vr2turbo

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (faceoff97 @ May 9 2013, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Change your wipers to silicone type then it will last a long time as the silicone will add rather then wear them away.... smile_tongue.gif

arch5069

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

arch5069

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ May 13 2013, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Change your wipers to silicone type then it will last a long time as the silicone will add rather then wear them away.... smile_tongue.gif

Which silicone wipers are you using or would recommend?

jackson

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

jackson

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
QUOTE (sastro @ May 8 2013, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear all masters,

Thanks.

what car is that?
It's easy when you know how...

vr2turbo

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (arch5069 @ May 13 2013, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which silicone wipers are you using or would recommend?

My friend using PIAA, a bit costly. I am using cheapo brand but it works too.... smile_thumbup.gif

rallychamp

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
recently getting annoyed by old windscreen that blur and water line including water "sticking" on the screen...

back then (1-2years ago) already got it polished by vr2bro......but it seems doesn't completely get rid the water sticking problem....

so last weekend while at home... i saw my Kit car wax bottle sitting idle on the rack.....since my car paint was peeled it was close to useless for paint polishing....

hence there comes my new crazy idea....polishing the windscreen...

first...wash the screen using dishwasher soap....

rinse dry...

continue with 3pass of waxing (KIT liquid wax type..not hard paste wax) *all done manually using hand

wash and rinse the wax using a lot of water and dishwasher soap....

dried with paper towels...

then apply 3layer of rainX..the results...

TADAAAAAA::::

https://www.facebook...048451860656444

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)