Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Fantastic New Safety Feature From Volvo

• Please log in to reply

sudha

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

sudha

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Here's an interesting insight into the latest safety technology from Volvo. I bet All you Volvo owners are going to love this.

It's called Envelop and its a system where the car is covered in a cocoon in the event of a collision. Well, it's an external airbag that cover the car.

Note sure to what R&D stage this is in but if released, this would ingrain Volvo's safety concept the people's mind for a long time to come.

I am guessing this will work well in reducing damages between low to medium speed - high speed collision...sorry la..any driver should know best no matter what safety system are in place, this one driver have to bear la..

I think it's a great idea...only downside i can think of is the cost to replace the airbag once it's deployed..

While we think about this, read more about the Volvo Envelop AirBag System. It's pretty good stuff..

Here's a pic of how it will look like..

Not sure why the grill is not covered though smile_tongue.gif

Fear on Race Day

kennyng111

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

kennyng111

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
QUOTE (sudha @ Apr 1 2013, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's an interesting insight into the latest safety technology from Volvo. I bet All you Volvo owners are going to love this.

It's called Envelop and its a system where the car is covered in a cocoon in the event of a collision. Well, it's an external airbag that cover the car.

Note sure to what R&D stage this is in but if released, this would ingrain Volvo's safety concept the people's mind for a long time to come.

I am guessing this will work well in reducing damages between low to medium speed - high speed collision...sorry la..any driver should know best no matter what safety system are in place, this one driver have to bear la..

I think it's a great idea...only downside i can think of is the cost to replace the airbag once it's deployed..

While we think about this, read more about the Volvo Envelop AirBag System. It's pretty good stuff..

Here's a pic of how it will look like..

Not sure why the grill is not covered though smile_tongue.gif

1) Aiyoo, usually airbags deployed AFTER the bang/knock right ? izznt that too late oredi ? Or ....
2) the car KNOWS there is going to be an accident, and that the accident is serious enuf, then it quickly deploys itself to prevent injuries to car occupants. Like that ah ?!
3) Gimmick for people to surf their website or talk about it ?

If you own a Volvo in Msia, you would know there is a lot of BS from this company, at least in Msia. Or lack of it, ...... hahahahaha, owners would know what i mean by both "a lot or lack" of BS.

Kenny

alldisc

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
maybe to protect pedestrians from knocking the car when it is stationary or parked?

however i know volvo has developed pedestrian airbag to protect human from smashing windscreen in a collision. pretty interesting.

cute_boboi

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
QUOTE (kennyng111 @ Apr 2 2013, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) the car KNOWS there is going to be an accident, and that the accident is serious enuf, then it quickly deploys itself to prevent injuries to car occupants. Like that ah ?!

Nowadays, many continental higher end cars have sensors in front to detect objects in front. Auto-slow down and braking also.
It can use such sensor to deploy based on calculation of speed/object and distance just moment before it hits.

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous