Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Rusty Roof After Painting...

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Mar 22 2013, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
very much agreed with that master Krimas commented. I believe yours is either a Proton or Nissan. If it continue to outbreaK, ONLY way is to change the roof skin.

roof skin, means change the whole roof.... smile_tongue.gif

taiqy

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

taiqy

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
QUOTE (alienfx @ Mar 21 2013, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This shop mainly does accident cars for Nasim. I have just send back the car to him today and he said its normal for old cars. He said there might be some rust hidden for long time and it popped when newly repainted. He also said he just remove the clearcoat and did not sand till the bare metal. He said he used dry sanding on roof. Wet sanding for the doors.

So, far all the other panels looks fine just the roof got some bubbles. This is the 1st time i paint my car although owned few cars before.I sorry i didnt take any pictures because really "sakit hati" looking at it. My car has no accident and i only saw very little rust at the windscreen rubber area which i think is normal because glues used 18 years ago can cause rusting.

Hope this rust on roof will case will be settled although i need to pay for the roof painting.

Is the workshop in Klang? I got my car painted by this shop too and the clear coat started to bubble after 1year. Now it is peeling off my front bumper and front passenger door.

My car is a 5yr old Peugeot 407.

jklow123

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

jklow123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
QUOTE (alienfx @ Mar 18 2013, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After few months of painting, suddenly i noticed few bubbles on my car roof..Brought back to the painter and he said not his paint or method problems.He said he just remove the clear coat and painted over it.So there might be some rust waiting to pop up. Is his explanation true? I never had any rust on my roof before so how come after paiting suddendly good some bubbles here and there and then i break it there is some rust. Lucky no hole yet.

What i should do next? I spend RM4K to paint my car and didnt even have time to enjoy it. Im driving an 18 year old car.

Many old cars have rust spots on the roof and bonnet. Mainly caused by the epoxy used by assembly plant to secure the metal braces to the underside of roof and bonnet. The epoxy is the culprit. It absorbs moisture and causes rusting. Old Saga doors also hv this problem. Its virtually unsolvable unless the entire roof panel is replaced, which will cause future problems during Puspakom inspection.

Your resprayer shd hv warned you about this before accepting your car but this could possibly turn you away.
With a 4000-4500 budget, respraying such an old car is extremely risky because there is a great difference between re-spraying vs restoring such a car to look almost brand new. Rust spots can pop up anywhere at anytime even if you hv spent 10k on any old car.

Someone also mentioned about stripping back to bare metal before commencing spraying.
1. Most car owners hv no idea how much such a job will cost and the time it takes
Astro programs and Internet websites often dont talk about pricing (LOL).
Most car owners are already cringing at a 5k job that takes 14 working days.

2. Stripping entire vehicle to bare metal is mostly done when restoring a classic/vintage vehicle thats been resprayed numerous times. Its not common to do that on an old Jap car unless the owner is committed to spend more than 5k and willing to wait for a long time. Even then....rust can still pop out anytime, anywhere.

vr2turbo

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (jklow123 @ Oct 13 2013, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many old cars have rust spots on the roof and bonnet. Mainly caused by the epoxy used by assembly plant to secure the metal braces to the underside of roof and bonnet. The epoxy is the culprit. It absorbs moisture and causes rusting. Old Saga doors also hv this problem. Its virtually unsolvable unless the entire roof panel is replaced, which will cause future problems during Puspakom inspection.

Your resprayer shd hv warned you about this before accepting your car but this could possibly turn you away.
With a 4000-4500 budget, respraying such an old car is extremely risky because there is a great difference between re-spraying vs restoring such a car to look almost brand new. Rust spots can pop up anywhere at anytime even if you hv spent 10k on any old car.

Someone also mentioned about stripping back to bare metal before commencing spraying.
1. Most car owners hv no idea how much such a job will cost and the time it takes
Astro programs and Internet websites often dont talk about pricing (LOL).
Most car owners are already cringing at a 5k job that takes 14 working days.

2. Stripping entire vehicle to bare metal is mostly done when restoring a classic/vintage vehicle thats been resprayed numerous times. Its not common to do that on an old Jap car unless the owner is committed to spend more than 5k and willing to wait for a long time. Even then....rust can still pop out anytime, anywhere.

Nicely said. I did the roof of my wife's Wira one time at my friend's workshop. We removed the roof cloth, remove the epoxy, scrap and grind down to bare metal on both sides, repaint with rust proof paint and apply back a different epoxy. On top, spray primer and respray. It still lasted up to 6 months or so only, then the rust came back. Had it redone then sold off the car.... smile_blackeye.gif

jklow123

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

jklow123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 14 2013, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nicely said. I did the roof of my wife's Wira one time at my friend's workshop. We removed the roof cloth, remove the epoxy, scrap and grind down to bare metal on both sides, repaint with rust proof paint and apply back a different epoxy. On top, spray primer and respray. It still lasted up to 6 months or so only, then the rust came back. Had it redone then sold off the car.... smile_blackeye.gif

I still keep many of my old cars such as Wira DOHC 1.8 and 1st Gen Satria 1.6 (both with 4G93 + Mivec head) and i hv the same rust pimples on the Satria's roof and bonnet, while the 1.8DOHC only had that problem on the roof. Roof skin and bonnet replaced. Its 4yrs now and so far, still great. Keeping my fingers crossed smile_tongue.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (jklow123 @ Oct 14 2013, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still keep many of my old cars such as Wira DOHC 1.8 and 1st Gen Satria 1.6 (both with 4G93 + Mivec head) and i hv the same rust pimples on the Satria's roof and bonnet, while the 1.8DOHC only had that problem on the roof. Roof skin and bonnet replaced. Its 4yrs now and so far, still great. Keeping my fingers crossed smile_tongue.gif

Oh! you change the roof skin.....My only problem was the roof..... smile_disapprove.gif smile_angry.gif