Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Rusty Roof After Painting...

• Please log in to reply

alienfx

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

alienfx

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts
After few months of painting, suddenly i noticed few bubbles on my car roof..Brought back to the painter and he said not his paint or method problems.He said he just remove the clear coat and painted over it.So there might be some rust waiting to pop up. Is his explanation true? I never had any rust on my roof before so how come after paiting suddendly good some bubbles here and there and then i break it there is some rust. Lucky no hole yet.

What i should do next? I spend RM4K to paint my car and didnt even have time to enjoy it. Im driving an 18 year old car.

faceoff97

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

faceoff97

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (alienfx @ Mar 18 2013, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He said he just remove the clear coat and painted over it.

I'm afraid you've just got conned - a proper re-painting job requires FULL removal of clear coat, color coat and base coat. Essentially down to the base metal. Next time be wary of paint service providers which are cheap and/or able to complete the job in 2 or 3 days. Caveat emptor.

cfa

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

cfa

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
QUOTE (faceoff97 @ Mar 19 2013, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm afraid you've just got conned - a proper re-painting job requires FULL removal of clear coat, color coat and base coat. Essentially down to the base metal. Next time be wary of paint service providers which are cheap and/or able to complete the job in 2 or 3 days. Caveat emptor.

To add on, a full paint job can easily take up to 2-weeks to complete. During this stage, you are encouraged to visit your car every other day to see the progress so that u can see what is being done.

Check back your receipt / invoice to see if there is a warranty provided. If yes, you can either:

1) Ask him to paint again;

2) Go to the Consumer Claims Tribunal to ask for refund

(2) is preferred as u don't know how he will repaint your car again.

junbecks

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

junbecks

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
thats sad though. 4000 is actually in the medium cost side already and still not a good joB?
where the heck is this place?
Washing a car should be an artform, not a chore.

WTB Any acidic wheel cleaner
[PM me if you want Iso-propyl Alcohol, IPA.]

cfa

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

cfa

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
QUOTE (junbecks @ Mar 19 2013, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats sad though. 4000 is actually in the medium cost side already and still not a good joB?
where the heck is this place?

Did not see the 4K part, for 4K, it shouild have been a full strip down, including some welding, plastering, etc before the actual multi-layer coat paint. This is grated for an 18-year old car.

Pls post details of Paint Shop.

vr2turbo

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
Bro., so far I see every where they just sand down and respray only. Where got strip to bare metal for especially RM4k only?

g88

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
QUOTE (alienfx @ Mar 18 2013, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After few months of painting, suddenly i noticed few bubbles on my car roof..Brought back to the painter and he said not his paint or method problems.He said he just remove the clear coat and painted over it.So there might be some rust waiting to pop up. Is his explanation true? I never had any rust on my roof before so how come after paiting suddendly good some bubbles here and there and then i break it there is some rust. Lucky no hole yet.

What i should do next? I spend RM4K to paint my car and didnt even have time to enjoy it. Im driving an 18 year old car.

what car are you driving, age of car and how is the paintwork condition like right now ? Any image to share out ?

alienfx

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

alienfx

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Mar 20 2013, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what car are you driving, age of car and how is the paintwork condition like right now ? Any image to share out ?

This shop mainly does accident cars for Nasim. I have just send back the car to him today and he said its normal for old cars. He said there might be some rust hidden for long time and it popped when newly repainted. He also said he just remove the clearcoat and did not sand till the bare metal. He said he used dry sanding on roof. Wet sanding for the doors.

So, far all the other panels looks fine just the roof got some bubbles. This is the 1st time i paint my car although owned few cars before.I sorry i didnt take any pictures because really "sakit hati" looking at it. My car has no accident and i only saw very little rust at the windscreen rubber area which i think is normal because glues used 18 years ago can cause rusting.

Hope this rust on roof will case will be settled although i need to pay for the roof painting.

KrisMas

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
QUOTE (alienfx @ Mar 21 2013, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope this rust on roof will case will be settled although i need to pay for the roof painting.

I hope it's sorted out. Cuz rust is like cancer. It will spread and keep on going until you've removed it altogether.....

g88

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Mar 21 2013, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope it's sorted out. Cuz rust is like cancer. It will spread and keep on going until you've removed it altogether.....

very much agreed with that master Krimas commented. I believe yours is either a Proton or Nissan. If it continue to outbreaK, ONLY way is to change the roof skin.