Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Clarification From Proton On Service Intervals

• Please log in to reply

Taikoh

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Taikoh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
I have written to PROTON After Sales for clarification to their service centres concerning service intervals as per PROTON Service Manual.

Below is the message sent to PROTON After Sales and I am now waiting for their response.

Please clarify to all your service centres that the normal service intervals is not at every 5 k km or 3 months but every 10 k km or 6 months regardless whether semi syn or syn oil is used as long as the oil used is API Service Classification SL or above.

Also please inform your service advisors that the 5 k km or 3 months service interval is only for vehicles operating under severe service condition for example such as taxis or used for towing heavy loads.

Your service booklet explains and states all this clearly with no confusion yet your service advisors appear to have no knowledge of the service requirements.

Proof of communication ( copy of communication) to your service centres on the subject is greatly appreciated

This request is being monitored in Auto world forum for response.

Response Activity:
Message sent 19 Jan 2013.
Taikoh

leongts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

leongts

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
Good initiative. smile_thumbup.gif Unsuspecting customers shouldn't be fleeced this way.

As for taxi, no way they are going to follow 5k km OCI even if the car was being driven under severe condition. Thay are typically doing about 400km a day (having conversed with cab drivers through the years), so they will have to change oil every 2 weeks, which doesn't make economic sense. If the car is shared between 2 drivers (day/night shift), it will clock even more mileage.

Taikoh

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Taikoh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
QUOTE (leongts @ Jan 19 2013, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good initiative. smile_thumbup.gif Unsuspecting customers shouldn't be fleeced this way.

As for taxi, no way they are going to follow 5k km OCI even if the car was being driven under severe condition. Thay are typically doing about 400km a day (having conversed with cab drivers through the years), so they will have to change oil every 2 weeks, which doesn't make economic sense. If the car is shared between 2 drivers (day/night shift), it will clock even more mileage.

Thank you leongts.

However, I doubt PROTON will reply, they did not even bother to get back to me after calling them.

And if they follow what the owner's service manual say it would mean turnover in their service centres would reduce by 100% , you think PROTON will want that?

Since the average PROTON owner is ignorant and so used to be taken for a ride for such a long time, they will just keep on listening to ill informed service advisors.

Having said that, I am not a PROTON basher, in fact I have done my fair share of NATIONAL SERVICE by owning so far 4 Proton cars since the last 25 years.

Taikoh

mosh

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

mosh

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
normal service intervals is not at every 5 k km or 3 months but every 10 k km or 6 months regardless whether semi syn or syn oil

WOW!

good luck telling them mate.. ! smile_approve.gif

Taikoh

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Taikoh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
QUOTE (mosh @ Jan 22 2013, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW!

good luck telling them mate.. ! smile_approve.gif

No worries but to date no reply..... smile_sad.gif
Taikoh

cfa

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

cfa

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
QUOTE (Taikoh @ Jan 22 2013, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No worries but to date no reply..... smile_sad.gif

Post on their FB page

jasondotcom

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

jasondotcom

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
I questioned this before to them and they replied.

Below are copy pasted from my email dated quite a while ago. And yes, i stick to 10k OCI. My engine is still spanking clean when it was opened up.

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:55 PM
To: I.CARE CENTRE PROTON EDAR
Subject: Oil change interval

Dear Sir / Ms. / Madam,

I would like to enquire you on the service interval. This has been a hot topic around local forums. And for me, i am talking about Persona.

The argument here is.

What is the oil change interval?

-Manufacturer service booklet clearly states every 10k oil change interval and does not state any type of oil requirements to reach that oil change interval.
-Your website also states every 10k service interval.
-But your service centers strongly states every 5k regardless unless we use fully synthetic.

Now, since this is the case, i have every rights legally (to maintain warranty) to maintain oil (semi-synthetic) change interval at every 10k correct?
And, why is there double standards in your manufacturer's service booklet and the word of mouth coming from your service centers?

Kindly clarify on this matter.

UNQUOTE

To: Jxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 7 April, 2010 7:58:40 AM
Subject: RE: Oil change interval

Dear Mr Jason,

First of all, please accept our sincere apologies on the delayed reply to your enquiry.

Referring to your concern, we would like to inform that there is no harm in servicing your vehicle at every 5,000km or 10,000km. At the end of the day, regular servicing is only extra care for ones vehicle. In your case, if you are confused with the servicing schedule, we would strongly advice you to use the service booklet as your guide.

Normally we, as users would be able to ‘feel’ the condition of our car. For example, if the vehicle is under severe usage, one would feel the engine performance a little’ heavy’ after a period of time. In this case, servicing the vehicle at the 5,000km interval is definitely most advisable. Otherwise, the latter would suffice.

Hope this clarifies your doubt. Thank you.

Best Regards,

DEVAN

PROTON i.care

Proton Edar

1-300-880-888(General Enquiry & Feedback)

1-800-888-398(24Hours Assistance)

www.proton-edar.com.my

UNQUOTE

Mr Jason,

If you are using mineral engine oil, then the interval is at every 5,000km. If it is semi-synthetic, then the service interval could go up to 10,000km, but then again depending on the usage of the car.

As for the warranty, the Persona carries a 5-year of 175,000km warranty, whichever occurs first. As you are aware, the extended warranty offered by the insurance does follow the manufacturer warranty terms & conditions i.e. warranty will be void if service not carried out at authorized Proton Edar service outlet, modifications done to the car etc. All this are stated in the service booklet. Kindly refer to it for in depth info on the warranty and service maintenance guidance.

Warranty covers on all parts except for wear & tear items i.e. rubber ( tyre, wiper etc), parts damage due to mishandling i.e. door handle broken, or other secondary defects/exterior influence i.e. paint chip due to hit by stone or other related objects, engine damage due to water entry( flood) etc.

As long as you follow the stipulated terms & conditions, there should not be any issues. Thank you for your understanding and have a great weekend!

Best Regards,

DEVAN

PROTON i.care

Proton Edar

1-300-880-888(General Enquiry & Feedback)

1-800-888-398(24Hours Assistance)

UNQUOTE

Taikoh

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Taikoh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
Actually I am more interested in PROTON informing their service centers officially about the service interval.

As their service advisors are all either ignorant or are being instructed to be ignorant so that they can have extra business.

An official communication from PROTON to thier service centers will once and for all clarify the service intervals with thier service advisors.

The service advisors refuse to even look at the service manual when I pointed out the printed facts to them, insisting if the 5 k km service interval is not followed , warranty will be affected.
Taikoh

chkwong

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

chkwong

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
Same here, have questioned the SC before and it's similar to what you guys had.

jasondotcom

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

jasondotcom

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
QUOTE (Taikoh @ Jan 23 2013, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually I am more interested in PROTON informing their service centers officially about the service interval.

As their service advisors are all either ignorant or are being instructed to be ignorant so that they can have extra business.

An official communication from PROTON to thier service centers will once and for all clarify the service intervals with thier service advisors.

The service advisors refuse to even look at the service manual when I pointed out the printed facts to them, insisting if the 5 k km service interval is not followed , warranty will be affected.

QUOTE (chkwong @ Jan 23 2013, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same here, have questioned the SC before and it's similar to what you guys had.

This what i can say with Proton - BAD AFTER SALES service. They improved the product greatly... no doubt about that.