Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Local Car Journalist Car Reviews

• Please log in to reply

jayraptor

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
I find none of our local car journalist review on cars today could provide us anything useful. Even the specification information is sort of incomplete, as it is just copying directly from catalog taken from showroom that carries minimal details. Their review on cars despite getting to try for 1 whole day to few days, some even weeks, they seems to come up with write up that are nothing more than a test drive by amateurs that don't really know about owning cars.

http://www.autoworld...=RT.ATC.CAR.BTW

Honda Civic 1.8S Test Drive Review.

If I am looking for a car to buy, the review does not show almost anything. I am talking about ownership, maintenance, usage and to keep the car for 7 years at least. What is the FC for driving in city with real traffic enduring bumper to bumper crawl during rush hour, being stuck in jam, ferry passengers around be it family, friends and even colleague in carpool?

Also, wonder why when comes to N-brand, seems like almost all suspected infected journalist could immediately come up with same answer, easily overachieved the manufacturer's claim of 14.9km/L in Almera achieving over 20km/L that is exaggerated. Now comes to Civic, Focus, Ranger, Hilux, etc, they seems like they don't even know how to get FC reading. The most lame excuse is Fuel Consumption is subjective as it is impossible to get reading if all these cars are driven by same person applying similar force on the pedal while driving in the same part of town with city traffic?

This is why people don't even bother to read car magazines at bookstores and stalls despite they allow free reading. There is nothing in the write up and review. All forumners are free to comment even on Gunner's write up as it is not a violation. Unless any of you posted offensive obscene foul language.

roocarroll

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
I was looking at the Ford Ranger and found so many reviews online for it (mostly from Australia). I did a similar search for the Mazda BT-50 and got almost nothing. I'm sure that car reviews/magazines work in the same way that most magazines work; advertisers get what they pay for.

TheGunner

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Dec 20 2012, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All forumners are free to comment even on Gunner's write up as it is not a violation. Unless any of you posted offensive obscene foul language.

Yes. Please, I welcome all criticism.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

TheGunner

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
I find none of our local car journalist review on cars today could provide us anything useful. Even the specification information is sort of incomplete, as it is just copying directly from catalog taken from showroom that carries minimal details. Their review on cars despite getting to try for 1 whole day to few days, some even weeks, they seems to come up with write up that are nothing more than a test drive by amateurs that don't really know about owning cars.

What sort of specs do you want to see?

If I am looking for a car to buy, the review does not show almost anything. I am talking about ownership, maintenance, usage and to keep the car for 7 years at least. What is the FC for driving in city with real traffic enduring bumper to bumper crawl during rush hour, being stuck in jam, ferry passengers around be it family, friends and even colleague in carpool?

Three days of having the car won't tell us anything about aspects such as maintenance and long-term ownership issues. We can usually only speculate based on past experience with these matters. With regards to the Civic, for example, we can note that the stretched 10,000km service intervals will mean less hassle for consumers, but beyond that, with regards to day-to-day usage, well, there's a reason why there's a forum here.

Also, wonder why when comes to N-brand, seems like almost all suspected infected journalist could immediately come up with same answer, easily overachieved the manufacturer's claim of 14.9km/L in Almera achieving over 20km/L that is exaggerated. Now comes to Civic, Focus, Ranger, Hilux, etc, they seems like they don't even know how to get FC reading.

Okay, here's a full disclosure. The Almera 20 km/l readings were measured using the brim-to-brim method and during the media drive organized by Nissan, we stopped aside and topped up the fuel tanks, at ETCM's cost, to see how much fuel went in before the filler gun got rejected.

For our other test cars, well, we do fuel them up as well, but because we pay for the fuel from our own pocket, we naturally don't refill more than what we need. It's not that we don't know how to get FC reading, but we just can't afford to do it for every test car.

This is why people don't even bother to read car magazines at bookstores and stalls despite they allow free reading. There is nothing in the write up and review.

But hey, you bothered to read my review. Thanks for the support, bro. (You're a guy right?)
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

kcng

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

kcng

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
ask him to write and see whats the results la....

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

jolokia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

jolokia

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
I fully support fuel consumption calculation should be base on brim to brim method, rather then relied on MID, I think other distributor should adopt brim to brim FC calculation as well, how much would it cost ? RM 100-200 ? I am assure no distributor is reluctant to pay for such a petty amount of advertising cost.

For Jayraptor, he had no interest to know the truth, all he after is review to prove his ridiculous claim on Nissan car FC is accurate, now that the report prove him wrong, he going all out to discredit the review by AW & few other top auto website.

As suggest by one the member for Jayraptor to start his very own blogspot, which I think is good ideas, since he claim to have many friend who been cheated to buy Nissan after reading Infected Journalist review & newsprint advertisement on outstanding Nissan FC, which they have regret ever since, why not borrow these car from his friend & do FC test base on brim to brim method or his famous drive till empty tank method, all it cost for him is like RM 100-200 to prove his point, he can too ask his foreman friend to contribute toward technical aspect & ownership cost base on replacement part price & repair cost.

Awaiting the launching date of The Un infected truth about car blogspot.com by Consumer Right Advocate Prof Dr. Jayraptor (Doctorate in Automotive Engineering, Michigan University USA).
smile_wink.gif
Great Ideology Creates Great Times - Yuri Irsenovich Kim

ridinglow

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

ridinglow

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Honda Civic 1.8S Test Drive Review.

Also, wonder why when comes to N-brand, seems like almost all suspected infected journalist could immediately come up with same answer, easily overachieved the manufacturer's claim of 14.9km/L in Almera achieving over 20km/L that is exaggerated. Now comes to Civic, Focus, Ranger, Hilux, etc, they seems like they don't even know how to get FC reading. The most lame excuse is Fuel Consumption is subjective as it is impossible to get reading if all these cars are driven by same person applying similar force on the pedal while driving in the same part of town with city traffic?

This is why people don't even bother to read car magazines at bookstores and stalls despite they allow free reading. There is nothing in the write up and review. All forumners are free to comment even on Gunner's write up as it is not a violation. Unless any of you posted offensive obscene foul language.

I'm curious. What does an exacting automotive reader like you want in a review?

jayraptor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Dec 28 2012, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What sort of specs do you want to see?

Three days of having the car won't tell us anything about aspects such as maintenance and long-term ownership issues. We can usually only speculate based on past experience with these matters. With regards to the Civic, for example, we can note that the stretched 10,000km service intervals will mean less hassle for consumers, but beyond that, with regards to day-to-day usage, well, there's a reason why there's a forum here.

Okay, here's a full disclosure. The Almera 20 km/l readings were measured using the brim-to-brim method and during the media drive organized by Nissan, we stopped aside and topped up the fuel tanks, at ETCM's cost, to see how much fuel went in before the filler gun got rejected.

For our other test cars, well, we do fuel them up as well, but because we pay for the fuel from our own pocket, we naturally don't refill more than what we need. It's not that we don't know how to get FC reading, but we just can't afford to do it for every test car.

But hey, you bothered to read my review. Thanks for the support, bro. (You're a guy right?)

Rather than support your review, you can say to monitor what you are up to instead.

Another review from you on Triton VGT.

So where is the FC reading? Can't use the same method to get FC in other cars compared to Almera and Sylphy? Or you have veered off course and you could not turn back to ethical review anymore? You talk as other brands make/model can't get FC reading the way you did. Why not you post and compare? What is Civic's FC then? and also Triton's FC?

Wow you get to keep Civic for 3 days yet you posted only almost nothing mere amateur test drive review? Fyi, that day is enough for you to try out almost everything to get reading and measurement. From your shallow understanding, maintenance and long term ownership does not cover only repair cost and reliability/durability. Aren't you forgetting feasibility, practicality and daily maintenance?

That jolokia definitely supports you on Almera FC. To him and now you the infected, calculate FC based on the float is more accurate than having only certain amount of fuel example only 2-4L in the tank (no cheat) and drive till empty.

jolokia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

jolokia

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Dec 28 2012, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That jolokia definitely supports you on Almera FC. To him and now you the infected, calculate FC based on the float is more accurate than having only certain amount of fuel example only 2-4L in the tank (no cheat) and drive till empty.

U R indeed an over exacting freaks, according to ur method, 1st they need to empty entire tank, to fill in only 2-4 ltr of fuel (what is this ? Kapcai test ?), 2nd they need to find a road safe enough for them to prepared for the engine to stalled after it is total empty, this is unpractical, dangerous & most of all "Stupid" method, is this according to EPA guideline ? I don't think so.
At lease AW didn't put in FC figure when they can't certain they accuracy of the MID right.
As I said do a test & show us ur result in ur own Blogspot, beginning with ur Forte EX kosong base on 2-4 ltr fuel drive till empty tank method, after it's would only cost u like RM 3.8-7.60 & offcoz ur life & those who may hit ur back whem u stalled ur engine when the tank run dry, or yeah prepare to replace ur fuel pump too. smile_sleepy.gif
Don't tell me drive till almost empty, base on guts feeling the engine is almost stalled ? Now isn't brim to brim method is safer, more accurate & most of all not "Stupid" like urs. smile_approve.gif
Great Ideology Creates Great Times - Yuri Irsenovich Kim

jayraptor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (jolokia @ Dec 28 2012, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
U R indeed an over exacting freaks, according to ur method, 1st they need to empty entire tank, to fill in only 2-4 ltr of fuel (what is this ? Kapcai test ?), 2nd they need to find a road safe enough for them to prepared for the engine to stalled after it is total empty, this is unpractical, dangerous & most of all "Stupid" method, is this according to EPA guideline ? I don't think so.
At lease AW didn't put in FC figure when they can't certain they accuracy of the MID right.
As I said do a test & show us ur result in ur own Blogspot, beginning with ur Forte EX kosong base on 2-4 ltr fuel drive till empty tank method, after it's would only cost u like RM 3.8-7.60 & offcoz ur life & those who may hit ur back whem u stalled ur engine when the tank run dry, or yeah prepare to replace ur fuel pump too. smile_sleepy.gif
Don't tell me drive till almost empty, base on guts feeling the engine is almost stalled ? Now isn't brim to brim method is safer, more accurate & most of all not "Stupid" like urs. smile_approve.gif

That way you used is not accurate you idiot. Your comment clearly shows that you do not view from consumes aspect. Just trying to protect your own product. If you don't know, the float in the tank could be altered to make the fuel pump nozzle detects earlier full tank.

Compared to professional way:
1) Empty the car tank to just little fuel left, drive till empty that it could not really start when engine died.
2) Fill up 2L if you have short test range and if you have longer larger proving ground, fill up 4L fuel.
3) Reset trip meter and take mileage reading.
4) Start driving till engine died. Then start take reading on trip meter and mileage again.
5) Take end mileage minus start mileage to check trip meter reading match.

Done and accurate. This is how the experts do and you can't cheat even if you have altered fuel tank that splits into 2.
Fuel tank is 50L driving to Ipoh on 180km journey:
Starting:
- 30L in lower tank for the engine to drink.
- 20 liter upper tank (only filled with 12L fuel) for the fuel pump nozzle to fill and read.

Ending:
- In actual, it has spent 14.4L fuel in lower tank achieving 12.5km/L.
- The 20L upper tank from start is still at 12L fuel. Fuel pump nozzle sure fill in the 8L and there you get the 22km/L reading.