Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Questions About Proton Persona Elegance

• Please log in to reply

transpro

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

transpro

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
Dear Brothers,

I hope you are all well.

I am Muhammad from Cairo, Egypt. I am planning to buy Proton Persona Elegance 2013 Insha Allah.

- What are its advantages and disadvantages in general?

- Does the finishing issues such as squeaking and rattling sounds, broken multifunction steering wheel etc still persist in new models 2012 and 2013?

- What about its suspension system; is it really annoyingly stiff and hard?

- Is the car well insulated from surroundings such air etc. during high speed drive?

- Is the engine quiet or noisy when accelerating?

- Is it economical when it comes to fuel consumption or not?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Best regards,
Muhammad

transpro

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

transpro

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
Any replies from Persona owners there?
unsure.gif

slushmatic

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

slushmatic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
QUOTE (transpro @ Nov 30 2012, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any replies from Persona owners there?
unsure.gif

Until better-informed owners reply here, I can offer a verdict on my UK-spec. 2009 Persona Auto, (not Elegance)

General advantages I see are it's spacious interior and boot, nicer styling inside and out than most rival new
cars, good handling/ride balance, competitive performance and economy, effective climate control, generaly good
equipment levels, reasonable parts prices and probably the best, it's overall value for money.

It is also a few mm slimmer externaly than most cars of this size, which is useful in narrow streets and crowded
carparks.
I also prefer the 'proper' torque-converter coupling type transmission on my car compared to the 'flappy paddle'
or other clutchless manual types often fitted to it's rivals.

Disadvantages are few - I personaly think the 'Elegance' versions are uglier than the original 2007 cars
they replaced, the fit/finish of some of the lower-down interior parts is'nt very good, the safety equipment is
basic by European standards, the turning circle is'nt tight, the headlights are very average and some small items
of equipment you might expect are missing.

My steering controls still work just fine, (48,000 Km) the face vents sometimes vibrate, (but not loudly) the rear
seats can rattle - but there is a well-known easy fix. No other squeaks/rattles/strange sounds on my car ever.

Suspension on most modern cars I consider to be firm, the Persona is softer than the GEN-2 hatch and not as
stiff as most. Proper independent suspension design and Lotus-style damping traits help make for a good ride.

Insulation is nothing special by new car standards, but of course this can be improved upon without much
expense if required - I hav'nt bothered to improve mine so far.

Engine is quiet enough upto around 3500-4000 revs or so, but gets a bit gruff/boomy the more you push
above that. No worse than average for a four cylinder petrol, but no match for a sweeter Honda/Toyota unit.
It is willing to rev/give good power though, which alone makes it better than many basic Euro engines.

I consider the fuel economy to be good for the size/weight of the car, especialy on a longer run/motorway
journey, where it's weight is'nt so much a penalty.

Hope this all helps. A search through old posts here should also provide more answers - overall the Persona
has proven to be a 'good' car and certainly one of Proton's more rounded/better efforts. I can recommend.

'Do average things - get average results'

transpro

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

transpro

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (slushmatic @ Nov 30 2012, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Until better-informed owners reply here, I can offer a verdict on my UK-spec. 2009 Persona Auto, (not Elegance)

General advantages I see are it's spacious interior and boot, nicer styling inside and out than most rival new
cars, good handling/ride balance, competitive performance and economy, effective climate control, generaly good
equipment levels, reasonable parts prices and probably the best, it's overall value for money.

It is also a few mm slimmer externaly than most cars of this size, which is useful in narrow streets and crowded
carparks.
I also prefer the 'proper' torque-converter coupling type transmission on my car compared to the 'flappy paddle'
or other clutchless manual types often fitted to it's rivals.

Disadvantages are few - I personaly think the 'Elegance' versions are uglier than the original 2007 cars
they replaced, the fit/finish of some of the lower-down interior parts is'nt very good, the safety equipment is
basic by European standards, the turning circle is'nt tight, the headlights are very average and some small items
of equipment you might expect are missing.

My steering controls still work just fine, (48,000 Km) the face vents sometimes vibrate, (but not loudly) the rear
seats can rattle - but there is a well-known easy fix. No other squeaks/rattles/strange sounds on my car ever.

Suspension on most modern cars I consider to be firm, the Persona is softer than the GEN-2 hatch and not as
stiff as most. Proper independent suspension design and Lotus-style damping traits help make for a good ride.

Insulation is nothing special by new car standards, but of course this can be improved upon without much
expense if required - I hav'nt bothered to improve mine so far.

Engine is quiet enough upto around 3500-4000 revs or so, but gets a bit gruff/boomy the more you push
above that. No worse than average for a four cylinder petrol, but no match for a sweeter Honda/Toyota unit.
It is willing to rev/give good power though, which alone makes it better than many basic Euro engines.

I consider the fuel economy to be good for the size/weight of the car, especialy on a longer run/motorway
journey, where it's weight is'nt so much a penalty.

Hope this all helps. A search through old posts here should also provide more answers - overall the Persona
has proven to be a 'good' car and certainly one of Proton's more rounded/better efforts. I can recommend.

Thank you very much - I really appreciate your kind detailed reply!

avionics

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

avionics

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
I'm using a persona elegance 2010 automatic.

- What are its advantages and disadvantages in general?
I have problem every for 11 months after buying this car.Every month sure got 1 problem.
1.aircon have to clean often,else it will become hot.
2.door rubber seal not finished properly
3.poor paint quality
4.u will notice the area around the door handle full of scratches after using a while
5.spark plug spoil at 16000 km and also problem with the engine
6.tak tak sound from rear
7.front bumper not moulded properly to the headlamp,u will c a gap.
8.iafm problem.u might be the lucky winner.
- Does the finishing issues such as squeaking and rattling sounds, broken multifunction steering wheel etc still persist in new models 2012 and 2013?

- What about its suspension system; is it really annoyingly stiff and hard?
-yes,cornering is very tight a good

- Is the car well insulated from surroundings such air etc. during high speed drive?
quite noisy,also depending on what tyre u use.
- Is the engine quiet or noisy when accelerating?
its normal and powerful.Lotus steering is the best.
- Is it economical when it comes to fuel consumption or not?
Not econ,one full tank can drive around 320km in city.

I would say proton make car for racers la..not comfort.
Hai m so naive.