Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Bmw 325i Year 2008 And Above

• Please log in to reply

mik8838

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

mik8838

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Guys,

Any of you guys having major problems with a 325i model year 2008 onwards?. I am planning to buy it but need info from the user itself rather than getting info from "hear and say" from people who dont even own a bmw.

1.Is Recond model better than used?.My budget is RM200k or below
2.Difference between UK and Japan spec?
3. Maintenance cost in 5 years down the road?
4. Is January 2013 a good month to buy as it is a new year and the 2008 model at least should drop a bit in terms of the price.
5.Any recommended dealers?
6. Is OPAL insurance giving a good protection?.
7. Anything else you would like to share(maybe i forget to include an important question)

Thanks in advance guys!!

e90

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

e90

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
QUOTE (mik8838 @ Nov 13 2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

Any of you guys having major problems with a 325i model year 2008 onwards?. I am planning to buy it but need info from the user itself rather than getting info from "hear and say" from people who dont even own a bmw.

1.Is Recond model better than used?.My budget is RM200k or below
2.Difference between UK and Japan spec?
3. Maintenance cost in 5 years down the road?
4. Is January 2013 a good month to buy as it is a new year and the 2008 model at least should drop a bit in terms of the price.
5.Any recommended dealers?
6. Is OPAL insurance giving a good protection?.
7. Anything else you would like to share(maybe i forget to include an important question)

Thanks in advance guys!!

(Sorry my reply will not directly answer your questions as I hv a different thought)

Bro mik8838, I am sure your questions are valid & I understand your concerns about the cost of maintaining a 325I or any BMW for the matter. If you want some peace of mind when it comes to maintenance, get a brand new unit from any BMW dealers. If its above your budget, you could find some bargain units or value for money units from their fleet of pre-owned BMW (& they do offer 6% discount for corporate purchase). Either source will still give you 2 years unlimited mileage warranty and 3 years or 60k km BSRI (from date of car registration).

You see, 3 years ago I made a decision to get a new BMW rather than a used unit. 3 years down the road & 68k km later, here's what i have paid from my own pocket to maintain my car;
1) 2 wheel alignments a year X 3 years
2) 1 set of rear tires (17") @ 30k km
3) 1 set of ori Breyton 18" rims with a set of 18" tires @ 60k km
4) 1 oil change (after passing my 60k km BSRI)
5) Respray front bumper due to stone chips

As compared to the following which are claimed under warranty (Yes, even a new beemer has its problems);
1) New sports steering wheel (stitching came off)
2) Start Stop button (paint peeled off)
3) Fog lamps (water condensation)
4) Side seat lumbar support motor (leaked)
5) A set of Rear LED signal lamps (failed intermittently)
6) Both front door seal (water seepage)
7) Driver Power Window Button (paint peeled off)
8) Absorber mounting
9) BMW bonnet emblem (paint peeled off)

The following are items claimed under BSRI;
1) Numerous sets of wipers
2) Oil change every 8k km
3) Rear brake pads (2X) and Front brake pads (1X)
4) Both front and rear brake disc (1X)
5) Fuel Filter (2X)
6) GB reprogramming & software upgrade (numerous times)
7) Intake silencer service
8) GB oil top-up
9) Suspension set-up under load (front suspension had some loose parts sound)
10) Turbo hose leak (this was done recently and BMW covered 70% on parts and labor. I paid the remaining amounting to RM350. This was done out of BSRI and warranty. Goodwill claim they call it)

Due Soon;
1) Rear brakes
2) GB & engine oil change

If you are looking at maintenance, repair & replacement cost 5 years down the road, the above might give you an idea. If you are buying a 4 years old used unit, be prepared for more parts to fail (usually a full suspension change including related items is due around 4-5 years of ownership). So if you have a budget of RM200K (which I feel is high for a used unit), perhaps it is better to get a new or at least a pre-owned unit that comes with warranty. In the long run, you might save more and don't over analyze, it might cause paralysis. Familiar with this phase?

e90

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

e90

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
Was @ ingress & saw a pre-owned gray 325i (April 2012) for sale at RM225k. Mileage slightly above 1k km. Perhaps a little haggling might bring d price down closer to ur budget?

mik8838

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

mik8838

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
QUOTE (e90 @ Nov 25 2012, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was @ ingress & saw a pre-owned gray 325i (April 2012) for sale at RM225k. Mileage slightly above 1k km. Perhaps a little haggling might bring d price down closer to ur budget?

e90,

Many thanks for the good information smile_thumbup.gif . I do see even for a brand new bmw, there are quite a number of wear n tear items to be replaced. I can understand what its like to maintain a 4 year old bmw then.

I'll just stop by the auto bavaria at glenmarie then for a better info on the pre-owned bmw.

Cheers!

e90

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

e90

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
QUOTE (mik8838 @ Nov 27 2012, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
e90,

Many thanks for the good information smile_thumbup.gif . I do see even for a brand new bmw, there are quite a number of wear n tear items to be replaced. I can understand what its like to maintain a 4 year old bmw then.

I'll just stop by the auto bavaria at glenmarie then for a better info on the pre-owned bmw.

Cheers!

Be fearless wen negotiating d price. U nvr kno if u will be walkin away wit a good deal. Once all confirmed, let us kno d price and pen down ur drivin experience ya. Good luck bro!

john007

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

john007

6th Gear

• Members
  • 6 posts
Sorry for budging into the BMW thread. But if you can consider, my VW Passat CC is up for sale.
Just 15 months old, all in perfect condition. Warranty until Sept 2016, unlimited mileage.

210HP, 270Nm (starting from low 1700rpm).
Fully loaded and full specs. Super smooth, powerful and comfortable.

Accident free. Willing to part for just RM215k.

vvv30

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

vvv30

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (john007 @ Jan 6 2013, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for budging into the BMW thread. But if you can consider, my VW Passat CC is up for sale.
Just 15 months old, all in perfect condition. Warranty until Sept 2016, unlimited mileage.

210HP, 270Nm (starting from low 1700rpm).
Fully loaded and full specs. Super smooth, powerful and comfortable.

Accident free. Willing to part for just RM215k.

This might changed ur mind before u shopping ur next car, and even changing ur current car..

https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

Just sharing..