Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

A Pick-up Truck For Mixed Use

• Please log in to reply

roocarroll

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
As I've been posting in other threads, I've been looking for a pick up truck for mixed use. I'll be using it for hauling stuff around for work, as a family vehicle and for jungle trekking.

I'd never have considered a pick up truck in the past but I've been impressed with the progress made in this segment in recent years. I noticed that Mazda are selling the BT-50 as an 'active lifestyle vehicle' and I might be one of a new segment of customers brought in by the advancements in this segment.

I've had my eye on the 2.2 Ranger. I really like it. It ticks all of the boxes for me. I was 98% sold on the Ranger the other day but it seems to have a few issues. The rusty fuel injectors seems to be a design flaw. I'm not sure if Ford are working on a solution or if they are bothered. The delays in delivery are also a concern. Ideally, we'd like to get a 2013 vehicle in January but that might not be possible with the Ranger. The other issue (and this is a real sticking point) is the rip off cost of the engine oil. I understand that Ford have reduced the price from RM60 per litre to RM50 per litre but it still works out as RM450 on engine oil every six months. It works out at around RM1,000 per service with most of that cost going on engine oil.

On advice from AC19 in another thread, I test drove the Navara and Triton VGT. They both have impressive power. The Navara is Nissan nasty. The exterior is good looking but the interior is really 1980's. My Mrs often jokes about Nissan having manual windows and that's how it feels (it doesn't have manual windows). The Triton is ugly and very bouncy. The interior is slightly better.

As someone looking for an 'active lifestyle vehicle' things like interior comfort and safety features are more important than pulling power. I'll never get anywhere close to the 3 ton capacity that these pick up trucks seem to all have.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the BT-50. The reviews from Australia say that the ride isn't as good as the Ranger and it's really ugly (although it does seem to be growing on me). The 2.2 comes with traction control and ESP which is nice. I haven't test driven it yet so I'll hold fire until I do.

Lurking in the background here like an Austin Alegro stalking a Top Gear challenge is the Toyota Innova. It won't be much use for jungle trekking but it'll do the other things I need it to do. Although, I think I'd rather buy an Alza than an Innova. At least, if I bought an Alza I could spend the other RM50k on hallucinogenic drugs so that I would find the car interesting.

I should point out that I'm not on the hunt for the best pick-up truck, whatever that could be. I'm on the hunt for the best pick-up truck for me. My personal opinions are not universal absolutes so if you have a Triton or a Navara, don't be insulted that they don't meet the needs of me and my family as well as they meet your needs.

roocarroll

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
I went to see the Chevrolet Colorado. The SA showed me the 2.5 MT but I told him I was interested in the 2.8 AT. He brought me upstairs and showed me a locked car. It's a great value for money option but Chevrolet is a bad brand to own in Malaysia so I can't consider it. sad.gif

byebye2u

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (roocarroll @ Oct 29 2012, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to see the Chevrolet Colorado. The SA showed me the 2.5 MT but I told him I was interested in the 2.8 AT. He brought me upstairs and showed me a locked car. It's a great value for money option but Chevrolet is a bad brand to own in Malaysia so I can't consider it. sad.gif

for extreme offroading, the older model with less electronic and without current common rail would be more reliable and easily fix if fail in the jungle. but if you plan for " laluan balak" which is mild then any of the current model would be okay.. infact some of the suv could also.

roocarroll

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
I took a trip to Glenmarie today in the hope of test driving the BT-50 but it wasn't to be. They have a test drive unit of the manual 2.2L but I'm interested in the auto and the features are different so I didn't think it was worth wasting the SAs time. I also asked about the maintenance schedule and cost and there wasn't one available.

The BT-50 is growing on me. Its 'unconventional' looks put me off it at the start but I'm okay with them now.

There are two key issues on the BT-50:

1) Maintenance costs: the Ranger's RM1,000 service costs have put me off. I was told that Mazda's service costs are much lower they couldn't confirm that for me.

2) One of the Australian reviews said that the ride is not as good as the Ranger. Apparently, the suspension settings on the BT-50 are off. I'm not sure if Mazda has been looking into this but it should be easy for them to adjust the setting to match the Ranger.

I got the impression from Mazda that they really weren't ready to sell BT-50s yet. I might have misinterpreted but that's the impression I got. Strange.

roocarroll

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
I've been told that the maintenance costs for pick-up trucks are higher than for sedans. What's an average service cost for a Hilux or a Triton? Ford's RM1,000 service seems much too expensive to me. Mazda's service costs for the BT-50 are supposed to be lower but I can't confirm that yet.

netsoft

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

netsoft

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
QUOTE (roocarroll @ Oct 30 2012, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been told that the maintenance costs for pick-up trucks are higher than for sedans. What's an average service cost for a Hilux or a Triton? Ford's RM1,000 service seems much too expensive to me. Mazda's service costs for the BT-50 are supposed to be lower but I can't confirm that yet.

Hilux: https://fbcdn-sphoto...220219088_o.jpg
Triton not sure.

scenik

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

scenik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
QUOTE (roocarroll @ Oct 30 2012, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bigger engine need more oil?

Many reviews say VW amarok is better. VW parts bludy expensive and not easy to get everywhere.

roocarroll

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
QUOTE (scenik @ Oct 31 2012, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bigger engine need more oil?

Many reviews say VW amarok is better. VW parts bludy expensive and not easy to get everywhere.

I've read that about the Amarok from the Australian reviews but they don't sell it in Malaysia.

So far, the Ford Ranger offers the best package, IMO, but the RM1,000 servicing is putting me off.

I'm ready to buy a BT-50 but I can't get enough information from Mazda. It's like the BT-50 is a big secret. smile_question.gif

roocarroll

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
QUOTE (netsoft @ Oct 30 2012, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. RM800 for a year's worth of servicing seems okay to me, especially compared to the cost of the Ranger's servicing.

roocarroll

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
Here are a couple of reviews from Australia which rate the BT-50 as the best 'ute'.

http://news.drive.co...1122-1ns6z.html

http://news.drive.co...0825-24sti.html

It should be noted that they didn't notice any difference between the Ranger and the BT-50 so they are compared on price and specs. I believe the specs are different for Malaysia.

These two say that the Ranger is better on the road and that Mazda tried to improve the handling and kinda messed it up:

http://www.themotorr...0-launch-review

http://www.mynrma.co...agen-amarok.htm