Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Pepper Spray Defense

• Please log in to reply

cbsteh

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
I am sure you guys are aware of the recent rise in parking lot crimes such as robberies and even kidnap (presumably for rape purpose).

I recently got my wife a pepper spray that has a strap on where you can strap the pepper spray around your arm or wrist, but I am thinking of getting one with a keychain holder -- I think that is better because you can carry it with your keys. One complain is it is rather bulky (keys+spray bottle).

Do you guys have a pepper spray or your partner carries one? Even guys are not immune from such attacks. The latest on an attack on an old man at 1Utama parking lot. He was punched in the face when he refused to give up his belongings.

lancer1981

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

lancer1981

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts
I have one with key holder pepper spray. Always carry in my hand when I walking on the road or in car park. According to expert I need a larger canister if there are more than one assailant. I am now considering getting a larger one but very hard to conceal it in my hand.

Agree with you 100%, it is no longer safe for anyone when we go out.
Have wheels will ride, beats walking.

leekm123

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

leekm123

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
QUOTE (lancer1981 @ Jul 18 2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one with key holder pepper spray. Always carry in my hand when I walking on the road or in car park. According to expert I need a larger canister if there are more than one assailant. I am now considering getting a larger one but very hard to conceal it in my hand.

Agree with you 100%, it is no longer safe for anyone when we go out.

Haven't seen the bear repellant here in Malaysia. Sprays up to 10-15 feet. Only problem is the size. Our weather here also doesn't allow us to keep it in the car, if too hot the can explodes!!! Guess we have to be contented with the ones we have here now.

cute_boboi

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
Get those keychain and make sure hold in finger/hand when walking to car. If you still need to fumble your keychain to get hold of it, or worse need to dig for it in handbag, it's too late already. All these happen in split seconds.

Yes, it maybe too small for 1-shot tequila only. Unless you don't mind to carry larger canister and bring it everywhere.

The point is, hold in your hand when walking to car.

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous

vr2turbo

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,469 posts
Do they have slightly bigger ones? Most that I saw are the key chain only. Maybe carry 2 if bigger one don't have..... smile_tongue.gif

AC19

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

AC19

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jul 19 2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do they have slightly bigger ones? Most that I saw are the key chain only. Maybe carry 2 if bigger one don't have..... smile_tongue.gif

if she is so alert (able to deploy the use of it in split seconds) the she might not need it.... sterb292.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,469 posts
QUOTE (AC19 @ Jul 19 2012, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if she is so alert (able to deploy the use of it in split seconds) the she might not need it.... sterb292.gif

That is why must hold in the hand when walking to the car, not kept in handbag, then too late..... smile_tongue.gif

AC19

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

AC19

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jul 23 2012, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is why must hold in the hand when walking to the car, not kept in handbag, then too late..... smile_tongue.gif

left or right hand? smile_big.gif

cbsteh

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
Very limited choices in the Malaysian market. Prices vary too. The cheapest is RM13+, but I think it is almost as useless as spraying tap water into the attacker's eyes.

On the net, I have seen a wide range of options: there are those that look exactly like a pen or lipstick. There is even a new model called Defuser where, if the spray is snatched from you, the canister is disabled so the attacker can't use it against you.

You can even make your own pepper spray. All you need are cayenne paper, chilli powder, and lemon juice -- mixed until it taste like hell. One problem is getting a small spray bottle that can shoot at least 5-8 ft. smile_blackeye.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,469 posts
QUOTE (AC19 @ Jul 25 2012, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
left or right hand? smile_big.gif

See whether left handed or right handed loh.....hahahaha smile_big.gif