Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Windscreen Chip

• Please log in to reply

ga11agh3r

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

ga11agh3r

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
Would like to ask for recommendations on how I can fix a small chip on the windscreen? Any good DIY products or places/vendors around the PJ area to recommend? Thanks...

richard912

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

richard912

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 923 posts
QUOTE (ga11agh3r @ Jul 4 2012, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would like to ask for recommendations on how I can fix a small chip on the windscreen? Any good DIY products or places/vendors around the PJ area to recommend? Thanks...

There's a house along SS2/66 across the road from the Pelita Nasi Kandar. If I recall correctly, its called Glass Mechanics or something like that.

Of course, there's also Dr Cermin. Their address is 20, JALAN SS25/34,MAYANG INDUSTRIAL PARK,47301,PETALING JAYA

vr2turbo

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (richard912 @ Jul 4 2012, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a house along SS2/66 across the road from the Pelita Nasi Kandar. If I recall correctly, its called Glass Mechanics or something like that.

Of course, there's also Dr Cermin. Their address is 20, JALAN SS25/34,MAYANG INDUSTRIAL PARK,47301,PETALING JAYA

Heard that Glass mechanic is good as they do repairs only...... smile_tongue.gif

richard912

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

richard912

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 923 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jul 4 2012, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heard that Glass mechanic is good as they do repairs only...... smile_tongue.gif

That's their specialty smile_thumbup.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (richard912 @ Jul 4 2012, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's their specialty smile_thumbup.gif

Will be trying them out soon, as my wife's SUV front screen also have a stone chip.... smile_blackeye.gif

I saw on my friend's car, got a crack on the front screen. He did not care about it, then after a few days the crack got longer, then only he went to get it repaired. I don't think is the glass mechanic, some other shop. They just pump some chemical in at the end on the crack as he wants the crack to stop, and have been using it like that for quite a while already....

Anyway, better transfer this topic out from auto detailing...... smile_wink.gif

br1

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jul 4 2012, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will be trying them out soon, as my wife's SUV front screen also have a stone chip.... smile_blackeye.gif

I saw on my friend's car, got a crack on the front screen. He did not care about it, then after a few days the crack got longer, then only he went to get it repaired. I don't think is the glass mechanic, some other shop. They just pump some chemical in at the end on the crack as he wants the crack to stop, and have been using it like that for quite a while already....

Anyway, better transfer this topic out from auto detailing...... smile_wink.gif

chips and cracks are unavoidable, especially if doing alot of hway drives. VR2- you saw my big starry, not cracks but ???? how to call it? It still not continues cracking from the day it was "hit", I couldnt be bothered, paste a sticker from inside screen - change to new ori screen every 3 yrs, under insurance claim is the best - cos even no cracks screens also are distorted in view - fine scratches from wiper. smile_tongue.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Jul 5 2012, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chips and cracks are unavoidable, especially if doing alot of hway drives. VR2- you saw my big starry, not cracks but ???? how to call it? It still not continues cracking from the day it was "hit", I couldnt be bothered, paste a sticker from inside screen - change to new ori screen every 3 yrs, under insurance claim is the best - cos even no cracks screens also are distorted in view - fine scratches from wiper. smile_tongue.gif

Paste sticker? unless the chip is at the corner and not right in the middle....ha! ha! smile_big.gif
Changing screen is okay, but time taken to do it and whether the workmanship is good or not. If not, rain water can come in.... smile_shock.gif

hypermount

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

hypermount

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
Yea I rather not change it. What about fine scratches caused my wipers? How they eliminate the scratches?

vr2turbo

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (hypermount @ Jul 5 2012, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea I rather not change it. What about fine scratches caused my wipers? How they eliminate the scratches?

Cerium oxide can used to polish glass, but don't think can do by hand. Need polishing pad and machine.... smile_wink.gif

ga11agh3r

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

ga11agh3r

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
QUOTE (richard912 @ Jul 4 2012, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out. Appreciate it smile_thumbup.gif ...