Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Electronic Stablity Control (esp)

• Please log in to reply

rallychamp

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
aleast from current year i saw there's a lot of new car in the market with ESP (or similar) available...just choose wisely.... smile_thumbup.gif

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

jcetham007

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

jcetham007

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Jul 3 2012, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aleast from current year i saw there's a lot of new car in the market with ESP (or similar) available...just choose wisely.... smile_thumbup.gif

There are cars from past years with ESP too......and those may present a lower price entry point for this extra safety feature...

jcetham

Gunnerzz

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
ESP is just a tool to aid in certain unexpected situation just like abs.
The aid is there bu the drive must know how to react when the situation arise.
Most drive just slam the brake and hope for the best as they panicked.this action render all the aid useless.
The ability to stay calm will makes the driver has greater chance of getting out of the situation and with aid the chances are higher.

My car does not have all those aid but i manage to avoid a head on collision recently.
I was exitting a corner and saw a set of headlight right in front, slam the brake till tyre lock.
Realizing i wont stop in time i let go the pedal a little to allow me to swerve left.
All this done in seconds.lucky me i was 100% concerntrating.
I was saved but with esp and abs i can do it without even need to lift of the brake pedal.

onetree710

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

onetree710

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Jul 4 2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most drive just slam the brake and hope for the best as they panicked.this action render all the aid useless.
The ability to stay calm will makes the driver has greater chance of getting out of the situation and with aid the chances are higher.

My car does not have all those aid but i manage to avoid a head on collision recently.
I was exitting a corner and saw a set of headlight right in front, slam the brake till tyre lock.
Realizing i wont stop in time i let go the pedal a little to allow me to swerve left.
I was saved but with esp and abs i can do it without even need to lift of the brake pedal.

I believe that not every emergency situation requires ESP.
From what I read online, ESP will more often than not activated during slippery road conditions (wet).
In your situation, you may not be so lucky if it was raining or when the road is wet.

jcetham007

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

jcetham007

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
QUOTE (onetree710 @ Jun 27 2012, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a list of cars below 200K that come equipped with Electronic Stability Control (ESP):

A-segment – NONE!

B-segment – Ford Fiesta, Honda City (1.5E only), Honda Insight, Honda CR-Z, Honda Jazz, Honda Jazz Hybrid, Toyota Prius C, Volkswagen Polo, Volkswagen Polo GTI, Renault Clio RS

C-segment – Ford Focus (TDCi only), Hyundai Elantra (1.6 High Spec and 1.8 only), Honda Civic, Peugeot 308 (Turbo only), Peugeot 408 (Turbo only), Kia Forte (1.6 SX and 2.0 SX), Kia Forte Koup, Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Scirocco, Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback, Proton Preve (CFE CVT only), Toyota Prius, Toyota Corolla Altis (2.0V and 1.8G only), Volvo S40, Volvo V50, Citroen C4, Citroen DS4

D-segment – Ford Mondeo, Honda Accord (2.4VTi-L only), Suzuki Kizashi, Kia Optima K5, Peugeot 508, Volkswagen Passat, Mazda 6 (2.5L only), Hyundai Sonata (2.0 High Spec and 2.4 only), Nissan Teana (2.5 only), Citroen C5

MPV – Honda Stream, Volkswagen CrossTouran, Citroen C4 Picasso, Peugeot 5008, Ford S-MAX

SUV – Mitsubishi ASX, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson (2.0 High Spec and 2.4 only), Hyundai Santa Fe, Ssangyong Actyon, Chevrolet Captiva, Peugeot 3008, Kia Sportage, Kia Sorento

Pick-up Truck – Chevrolet Colorado (only 2.8 LTZ AT)

One big glaring absence is Toyota Vios but even Toyota Camry also does not have?! smile_shock.gif
Can somebody confirm this point?

Dear onetree710/forumners,

Used cars (more affordable) with ESP available in market may include the following listing :-

1. Hyundai Sonata NF 2.4L CBU spec (05 upwards);
2. Kia Optima EX 2.0L (High Spec version) (07 upwards);
3. Peugeot 407 2.0L (check 07 upwards);
4. Citroen Picasso 2.0L 16V (check 04-05 models);

Please help to add if there are more cars to choose from.

The asking prices of the above cars is not prohibitive (check Mudah.com) and some may be had in very good condition.

jcetham

onetree710

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

onetree710

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
QUOTE (jcetham007 @ Jul 4 2012, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear onetree710/forumners,

Used cars (more affordable) with ESP available in market may include the following listing :-

1. Hyundai Sonata NF 2.4L CBU spec (05 upwards);
2. Kia Optima EX 2.0L (High Spec version) (07 upwards);
3. Peugeot 407 2.0L (check 07 upwards);
4. Citroen Picasso 2.0L 16V (check 04-05 models);

Please help to add if there are more cars to choose from.

The asking prices of the above cars is not prohibitive (check Mudah.com) and some may be had in very good condition.

Hi jcetham007,

Thank you for the info. smile_thumbup.gif
I have updated the first post to include the above sizes.

Tourist

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Jun 30 2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Malaysians don't think much of ESP, most don't even don't understand it. Stupid me, although I knew about it, thought it was not necessary,untill I got into an accident due to the lack of ESP in my car! It was very simple, I tried to avoid a mad driver who cut into my lane. I swerved to my left to avoid him and got into a spin. The car came to halt after a 280 degree spin at busy Ferdal Hwy. Most guys managed to avoid me but a Proton smacked into me.
All this could have been avoided if my car had ESP! I think this should be standard feature in all cars!

I believe ESP would prevent you going into a spin during the sudden maneuver. It does that by automatically and most importantly, apply brake to independent wheel. Assuming your car tail swing left, ESP will apply brake to the right rear wheel (with no brake to the other 3 wheels) thus straightening the car. It does that all automatically and faster than humanly possible.

Try looking at some of the video on youtube. I am 100% sure you will be convinced that ESP will help in the very situation you just described. It's so convincing that you will understand why starting this year, all cars sold in Europe must have ESP as standard or else it can't be sold.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

cfa

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

cfa

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts

I remember Jeremy Clarkson testing the Evo FQ 400 on the track and doing a hard corner with just 2-fingers on the steering wheel and saying that its almost impossible to lose control of the Evo as there are so many electronics gadgets constantly working.

jcetham007

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

jcetham007

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
QUOTE (onetree710 @ Jul 4 2012, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi jcetham007,

Thank you for the info. smile_thumbup.gif
I have updated the first post to include the above sizes.

Also include SMART ForFour 1.3L and 1.5L (05 upwards)....current (used) prices are not prohibitive.
jcetham

nofear1979

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

nofear1979

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Jul 4 2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you are right bro....
i think drivers should attend the driving course, hands on (with instructor) and need to be taught what is ABS, ESP, understeer, oversteer, how to handle it... i guess this could save a lot of lifes/accidents...

2012 NMT Vice President - nofear1979

Human Resource Solutions
We provide a comprehensive range of Human Resource (HR) management solutions