Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

2003/2004 Optima,sonata, Elantra Owner Pls Come In

• Please log in to reply

nyam888

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

nyam888

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
actually now i considering to buy a 2nd hand korean car
i was heard a lot comment 1st. kimchi car Kuat makan minyak 2nd. spare part expensive / difficult to find
all bro, is tht true ?? the most i concern is fuel consumption

car owner do you hav anything 2 say ???

wheeLSpin

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

wheeLSpin

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 880 posts
03/04 2nd car, y not consider camry/accord/altis ? I know altis consumption is quite ok.

those older gen of korean quite makan minyak. but current gen all good consumption.

nyam888

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

nyam888

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (wheeLSpin @ Jun 14 2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
03/04 2nd car, y not consider camry/accord/altis ? I know altis consumption is quite ok.

those older gen of korean quite makan minyak. but current gen all good consumption.

cannot afford for those Japanese car lah

u sure 04 korean car makan minyak ??

netsoft

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

netsoft

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Spare parts expensive?
Ok lah. After 9 years of ownership of Sonata EF (Year 2002):

I've changed radiator - RM 300+
Driveshaft - RM 700
Bush + Arm - RM 550

Other than that wear and tear parts lo.

But fuel consumption, really makan minyak lah.
Average around 8.5km/L.

Full tank 55 litres (RM 104 based on RM 1.90/Litre) can go 450km+-.
This is about 60% Highway and 40% city.

andy111172

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

andy111172

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
I've been driving my EF Sonata for 7 years and I think the maintenance cost is reasonable for a 2 liter car with its features.

I bought it used in 2005 and I've changed many things throughout my ownership and the most recent ones were the bushings and absorbers. Those cost me about RM3K. I've also changed the timing belt 3 times and each one costs me RM1,800 done by Hyundai SC. Outside workshop can do it for less than RM1,000 but SC's work is more comprehensive and satisfactory (at least to me).

All in all, I'm happy with the car and even at 10 years old now, it can still do 200km/hr although it might take some time to get there.

However, I've never really calculated the fuel consumption and I'm not sure if it's thirsty or not... just fill up and go everytime. But I notice that the Sonata is more frugal than my other car...

ltg2b

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

ltg2b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I have been driving a Sonata EF 2.0 since 2004. The thinking out there that Korean cars consume more petrol is more of a perception. If you compare similar cars with the same capacities and year, the fuel consumption is almost similar.
TJ Yeoh

Dannysee

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Dannysee

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
I am thinking of buying a 2005 2.4L Sonata, priced at RM18k, any advice? Any particular "issue" or "common defect" I shld focus on?

TQ for your time to reply my question.

Kwar

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

Kwar

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts
Hye...

Im the owner of Kia Optima 2.0 05/07 (same as Sonata EF) alraedy clocked 255k km. So far my car feel & drive like a brand new car. Test drove the 2.0 2009 Accord but felt my Optima is still more quite or on par (less ratling noise)! Spare part expensive? I bought 1 side of driveshaft RM250 - brand new OEM! Gbox - tiptronic porsche design is bullet proof (change oil every 30k km - SP111), engine is form Mitsubishi (4G63), and almost 90% my car with a brand new parts - oil pump, alternator, radiator, absorbers, bushes, lower arm, upper arm etc. Timing belt change every 60k km. All the parts i bought from Nazamax Segambut. The price is less more than 50% from Service Ctr.

FC is normal for 2.0 NA car but much better than PV6! Suspension setup front is double wishbone/ rear multilink - very comfortable. With all round UR strut bar & 'ultimate' autofoam package no issue of handling/roadholding up till 200km/h! Im planning to replace her seem its already 7 yrs. But everytime i go to test drive a brand new car i keep on changing my mind... not worth the penny to spend coz i still can get the smoothness, comfort, handling with my current ride! smile_approve.gif