Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

How To Maintain Old Seg?

• Please log in to reply

fkmfkm

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (khskeet @ Jul 8 2012, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep two of the seg one is 95 and one is 92 very strong still climb genting easy. use only once a month. used to be over sea hehehe
Cabin size is very good is bigger then 96 model that is the reason i choose AE101 and not AE111
no problem till now already 5years of purchase
One of it just change ECU

change ECU can get more power ? lol

boonseng

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

boonseng

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
QUOTE (khskeet @ Jul 8 2012, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep two of the seg one is 95 and one is 92 very strong still climb genting easy. use only once a month. used to be over sea hehehe
Cabin size is very good is bigger then 96 model that is the reason i choose AE101 and not AE111
no problem till now already 5years of purchase
One of it just change ECU

weeks ago read few articles at internet concerning durability of different car models, they even named toyota SEG as "refuse to die" model, which i believe refer to it's longevity, after read some testimonies here in autoworld, now can understand why it's called "refuse to die" car.

khskeet

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

khskeet

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
No purpose of more power lol cause damage due to age.
tongue.gif

quote name='fkmfkm' date='Jul 8 2012, 04:56 PM' post='1827979']
change ECU can get more power ? lol
[/quote]

khskeet

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

khskeet

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
Haha I didn't know that. Hmmm refuse to die sounds interesting. The car is really good and a lot of power with old technology will surprise you. Is really over develop engine.

quote name='boonseng' date='Jul 8 2012, 05:54 PM' post='1827986']
weeks ago read few articles at internet concerning durability of different car models, they even named toyota SEG as "refuse to die" model, which i believe refer to it's longevity, after read some testimonies here in autoworld, now can understand why it's called "refuse to die" car.
[/quote]

tly

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

tly

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Hi, any sifu can advice, how to change from manual to auto? As currently need to pass my 92' seg to wife as she do not want to drive MT car. Any workshop in JB area can recommand. Thanks.

boonseng

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

boonseng

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
QUOTE (khskeet @ Jul 9 2012, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha I didn't know that. Hmmm refuse to die sounds interesting. The car is really good and a lot of power with old technology will surprise you. Is really over develop engine.

quote name='boonseng' date='Jul 8 2012, 05:54 PM' post='1827986']

also like to check with u abt ur SEG(s), understand that u bought it (or them?) 5 yrs ago, any repair needed after transferred to ur ownership? especially change of parts. thanks.

boonseng

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

boonseng

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
QUOTE (tly @ Jul 9 2012, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, any sifu can advice, how to change from manual to auto? As currently need to pass my 92' seg to wife as she do not want to drive MT car. Any workshop in JB area can recommand. Thanks.

hi, glad to know that here's another user of 20 yrs old SEG, sorry i can't give u any advice for ur question but sure some sifu will do, instead i would like to check with u how is the performance of ur SEG, coz i am looking at one now which is yr96 model. thx.

tly

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

tly

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
So far no problem. Normal ware n tear will need to maintain then the car will never fail you. Thats why I do not want to sell but to keep it, hope sifu out there can help to advice on MT to AT.

pizayo

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

pizayo

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
my one since Nov 1997 AE111.
initially after around 170k km just replaced timing belt, water pump, flushed radiator, top and bottom engine gasket leaked and replaced, atf filter, fuel filter, 4 tyres, 4 shocks and spring, battery, steering rack (be careful always leak, replaced with chopped), drive shafts (always leak the rubber boot, if whole shaft gone, replaced with chopped). engine mountings.

then progressively.
replace to vios second hand sport rim, maintain 14".
air-con compressor new one, full service air-con system.

replaced the whole exhaust except maintain the original extractor due to weird loud noise coming out and some crack at the bullet as improper modified by the previous owner.

recently replaced bushings for front control arm, front and rear sway bar, rear trailing arm, front & rear stabilizer link, repaint external.

now run like new. just need to on-time service everything the usual oil, filter, belts, front brake pad, rear brake shoe, brake fluid change.
the cobra alarm still functioning well. the ECU so far so good. O2 sensor still ok. fuel consumption can maintain 13.x-14.x km/l when highway cruising. except trap in traffic jam, then drop to 10-11.xx km/liter.

am so reluctant to sell though some mechanics who have test-drive asking if i wanna let go.

boonseng

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

boonseng

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
QUOTE (pizayo @ Jul 9 2012, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my one since Nov 1997 AE111.
initially after around 170k km just replaced timing belt, water pump, flushed radiator, top and bottom engine gasket leaked and replaced, atf filter, fuel filter, 4 tyres, 4 shocks and spring, battery, steering rack (be careful always leak, replaced with chopped), drive shafts (always leak the rubber boot, if whole shaft gone, replaced with chopped). engine mountings.

then progressively.
replace to vios second hand sport rim, maintain 14".
air-con compressor new one, full service air-con system.

replaced the whole exhaust except maintain the original extractor due to weird loud noise coming out and some crack at the bullet as improper modified by the previous owner.

recently replaced bushings for front control arm, front and rear sway bar, rear trailing arm, front & rear stabilizer link, repaint external.

now run like new. just need to on-time service everything the usual oil, filter, belts, front brake pad, rear brake shoe, brake fluid change.
the cobra alarm still functioning well. the ECU so far so good. O2 sensor still ok. fuel consumption can maintain 13.x-14.x km/l when highway cruising. except trap in traffic jam, then drop to 10-11.xx km/liter.

am so reluctant to sell though some mechanics who have test-drive asking if i wanna let go.

thanks for another success story, well, have u consider the durability of the car body? after being faithfully serving u for 15 yrs, i guess the engine can go for another many years, will the car body be as faithful as the engine?

now i am getting closer to get for myself an yr96 SEG from my mechanic friend after all these testimonies smile.gif