Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

How To Maintain Old Seg?

• Please log in to reply

scenic

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (alldisc @ Jun 20 2012, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i like the interior... pretty nice. anyway, i am no more with toyota.
now with luxury car maker.

Thanks Bro. smile_thumbup.gif
director's choice

XXX2299

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

XXX2299

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts
Mine is 1992 now 27x,xxxkm. So far so good, most headache is oil leak. others are ok.
now riding toyota acv30 '06, with my faithful toyota 1.6 seg (m) '92 sitting next to it every night...

boonseng

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

boonseng

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
QUOTE (XXX2299 @ Jun 26 2012, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine is 1992 now 27x,xxxkm. So far so good, most headache is oil leak. others are ok.

wao!!!! which means genap genap 20 long years! how did u do that? can go another 10 more years?

flee

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
Mine is a Jan 1993 with about 205,000 kms on the clock.

Usual problems are with the consumable items - suspension bushes, shocks, steering rack, power steering hoses, air cond compressor and cooling coils, radiator, engine mounting, fuel pump. I was unfortunate enough to suffer from ECU failure - had to source a new one but it was not so difficult. Now I need to change my instrument panel cos the speedo and tacho are no longer accurate. Need to go potong shop for that!
Regards,
Flee

XXX2299

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

XXX2299

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Jun 26 2012, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine is a Jan 1993 with about 205,000 kms on the clock.

Usual problems are with the consumable items - suspension bushes, shocks, steering rack, power steering hoses, air cond compressor and cooling coils, radiator, engine mounting, fuel pump. I was unfortunate enough to suffer from ECU failure - had to source a new one but it was not so difficult. Now I need to change my instrument panel cos the speedo and tacho are no longer accurate. Need to go potong shop for that!

Yes, the power steering hose is the major problem for my car, keeps leaking oil. The other part is the spark coil, also leaking oil. May be I need to use thicker oil...

My RPM meter also go crazy few years ago, so I dismantled it and replaced 1 electrolytic capacitor 25V 10uF, and it went back to normal until now. Your speedo & tacho meter I belief same problem too.
now riding toyota acv30 '06, with my faithful toyota 1.6 seg (m) '92 sitting next to it every night...

XXX2299

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

XXX2299

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts
QUOTE (boonseng @ Jun 26 2012, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wao!!!! which means genap genap 20 long years! how did u do that? can go another 10 more years?

Regular lub oil & filter change (5000km) + regular water level inspection + change parts on the slightest problem.

Another 10 years I think no problem.

flee

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
QUOTE (XXX2299 @ Jun 26 2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, the power steering hose is the major problem for my car, keeps leaking oil. The other part is the spark coil, also leaking oil. May be I need to use thicker oil...

My RPM meter also go crazy few years ago, so I dismantled it and replaced 1 electrolytic capacitor 25V 10uF, and it went back to normal until now. Your speedo & tacho meter I belief same problem too.

OK, thanks - will check if it is capacitor failure...

I replaced my high pressure power steering hose - no more leaks after that.

BTW, I found that the original front brake pads to be very long lasting - seldom needs replacement. Just regular servicing... But rear drum cylinders tend to leak after a while, so need replacement.
Regards,
Flee

boonseng

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

boonseng

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
QUOTE (XXX2299 @ Jun 26 2012, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regular lub oil & filter change (5000km) + regular water level inspection + change parts on the slightest problem.

Another 10 years I think no problem.

just a bit curious ur 20 yrs old SEG can still climb up to Genting or Cameron Highland? coz now i am really seriously considering to buy my mechanic friend's yr96 SEG, also in good condition, if i buy it, plan to make long distance trip from PG to KL, or Melaka, is it advisable to stretch that far? thanks.

alldisc

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Jun 26 2012, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, thanks - will check if it is capacitor failure...

I replaced my high pressure power steering hose - no more leaks after that.

BTW, I found that the original front brake pads to be very long lasting - seldom needs replacement. Just regular servicing... But rear drum cylinders tend to leak after a while, so need replacement.

this is one reason why the japanese has come up with electronic power steering (EPS) that is not using hydraulic anymore. no more pressure hoses, no more pump, no reservoir - definitely NO LEAK.

cars like new myvi, honda city, new vios, prius.. they all using EPS. no need drive belts too!!
QUOTE (boonseng @ Jul 4 2012, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just a bit curious ur 20 yrs old SEG can still climb up to Genting or Cameron Highland? coz now i am really seriously considering to buy my mechanic friend's yr96 SEG, also in good condition, if i buy it, plan to make long distance trip from PG to KL, or Melaka, is it advisable to stretch that far? thanks.

based on reliability it can, should not be much problem even though at 16 years old, need a health check regularly. as it was owned by a mechanic, has some good faith.

personally i will have 2 issues with the 96 SEG
1. cabin size which is on the small side
2. suspension which is comfortable but doesnt like to be pushed in corners at all. the car will suffer from roll badly.

khskeet

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

khskeet

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
I keep two of the seg one is 95 and one is 92 very strong still climb genting easy. use only once a month. used to be over sea hehehe
Cabin size is very good is bigger then 96 model that is the reason i choose AE101 and not AE111
no problem till now already 5years of purchase
One of it just change ECU

QUOTE (alldisc @ Jul 8 2012, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this is one reason why the japanese has come up with electronic power steering (EPS) that is not using hydraulic anymore. no more pressure hoses, no more pump, no reservoir - definitely NO LEAK.

cars like new myvi, honda city, new vios, prius.. they all using EPS. no need drive belts too!!

based on reliability it can, should not be much problem even though at 16 years old, need a health check regularly. as it was owned by a mechanic, has some good faith.

personally i will have 2 issues with the 96 SEG
1. cabin size which is on the small side
2. suspension which is comfortable but doesnt like to be pushed in corners at all. the car will suffer from roll badly.