Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Pe Radiator Coolant

• Please log in to reply

triketra84

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

triketra84

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Hi guys,

Question, I've just changed my radiator coolant from the standard green coloured antifreed/rust coolant and replaced it with the Red toyota coolant.

Previously, when i changed my kelisa's coolant it to the red toyota coolant it was better (After recommended by my really experienced mechanic in S'ban)

My question is,

1. Was my choice right? Or should I change it back to the original coolant? (Was kinda spooked out after the proton service men said it has high acid content that could cause harm to the radiator and the tank) - If i'm not mistaken the blue and green has more acidic mixture.

2. For all PE owner's are you using the ori? or have you changed it as well?

Feedback appreciated 1237.gif

mosh

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

mosh

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
i've flush my radiator once and still using proton original coolant.

triketra84

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

triketra84

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Bro so far what i read is some PE owners have changed it to the Red coolant (Toyota)

The red coolant so far feels better than the ori proton coolant.

Let me test out till the next 5k, concern abt warranty wise, if not i'll switch it back to the ori one just to avoid any unwanted headaches!

jasondotcom

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

jasondotcom

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
Back then, my Persona (A) (2009 model) clocked around 8k km and i have the coolant replaced and flushed completely. Reason was, i spotted a lot of debris floating in the coolants viewed from the radiator filler cap. I wondered what the hell these people are doing in the factory filling up my radiator coolant with debris in it. Damn!

So, knowing very very very well that most or i would say all work shops will do the easy way when refilling..... by flushing, and refill the coolant and straight piped water. Now, some would just refill water into it (old school method). So fine, since i am more to a DIY kinda guy, i did it myself. Drained the radiator and flush it with pipe water constantly to make sure all the dirt is out of the system. Refill it up to the brim and drain it again to remove some debris stuck else where in the radiator channels. Close it up and fill in the coolant from Toyota and the rest fill it up with filtered drinking water.

So yea.... i am one of them using Toyota coolant and there is no issues with warranty. It's all good. Heck, this reminds me, i need to change the coolant already!

mosh

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

mosh

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
I guess any good coolant is ok. Battery water helps to minimize corrosion smile_approve.gif

triketra84

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

triketra84

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Hey Jason,

Thanks for the feedback man! Yes i saw the residue as well.
I saw how the mechanic did it today. Now i can DIY as well smile_thumbup.gif

Just remember to bleed the coolant a little bit before closing the valve at the bottom of the radiator (While the engine is running)

I think I've made the right choice in switching it to the Toyota coolant, I can see that the radiator fan is not being overworked and the car feels and responds better than the original coolant.

Just wanted some opinion of other PE owners on it!

Cheers man! smile_big.gif

triketra84

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

triketra84

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
QUOTE (mosh @ Jun 4 2012, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess any good coolant is ok. Battery water helps to minimize corrosion smile_approve.gif

Wah Mosh, that's the 1st I've heard of that, good to know bro. Thanks smile_thumbup.gif

slushmatic

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

slushmatic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
QUOTE (triketra84 @ Jun 5 2012, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wah Mosh, that's the 1st I've heard of that, good to know bro. Thanks smile_thumbup.gif

Yes, de-ionized water is best for cooling systems. I've used water from an office drink cooler in
the past, (just filled-up old empty 2litre cola bottles)

A cruder alternative is to just freeze ordinary tap water, (in 70%-filled cola bottles) for a few
days and then use it after it's defrosted at room temperature.

I've also used Toyota antifreeze, (in my Daihatsu Cuore) and have often heard it's great stuff.
Not got around to putting some in the Persona yet though.

Having said that, I believe P1 use the same coolant as Mitsubishi so no strong reason not to use
the same again if it's cheaper retail over there.
'Do average things - get average results'

triketra84

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:23 AM

triketra84

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
QUOTE (slushmatic @ Jun 5 2012, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, de-ionized water is best for cooling systems. I've used water from an office drink cooler in
the past, (just filled-up old empty 2litre cola bottles)

A cruder alternative is to just freeze ordinary tap water, (in 70%-filled cola bottles) for a few
days and then use it after it's defrosted at room temperature.

I've also used Toyota antifreeze, (in my Daihatsu Cuore) and have often heard it's great stuff.
Not got around to putting some in the Persona yet though.

Having said that, I believe P1 use the same coolant as Mitsubishi so no strong reason not to use
the same again if it's cheaper retail over there.

Hey Slushmatic,

Thanks for the info. what I've read so far is to maintain the radiator coolant by changing/checking the fluid consistency.
Might switch back to the original coolant in the next service interval (Avoid void of warranty)

Thanks man smile_thumbup.gif

Tourist

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
Coolant are complex chemistry like Traditional, OAT, HOAT with some Silicate or HOAT with some Phosphate etc etc.

I have never come across a mechanic that I can trust with Coolant. Most are hopeless.

So unless you want to know all the tedious stuff, just use the original one from Proton. And only buy from Proton SC to avoid fake (there are plenty of fake Toyota coolant around). Period.
I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.