Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Just Brought A Hyundai Matrix 1.5 2004

• Please log in to reply

junnylai

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

junnylai

6th Gear

• Members
  • 7 posts
Well, there are much info claiming this car is a fuel ######, but additional information stated it depends on driving style. Now i was quite confuse. Obviously my new job will required me to drive everyday. But i was wondering isn't there any mechanism to help reduce the petrol consumption to minimum level ?

PS; Professional advises are much appreciated. Thank you

tazztham

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

tazztham

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
QUOTE (junnylai @ May 26 2012, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, there are much info claiming this car is a fuel ######, but additional information stated it depends on driving style. Now i was quite confuse. Obviously my new job will required me to drive everyday. But i was wondering isn't there any mechanism to help reduce the petrol consumption to minimum level ?

hi juunylai,

matrix is a good run about car and provide roomy cabin. by comes to fuel consumption, this is not something you can expect a lot. since the engine has been around for years, it is not efficient as current series. if you can take 11-12liter/100km, then it should be o.k. btw, it is 1.5? it should be 1.6 auto right?

tazztham

junnylai

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

junnylai

6th Gear

• Members
  • 7 posts
QUOTE (tazztham @ May 27 2012, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi juunylai,

matrix is a good run about car and provide roomy cabin. by comes to fuel consumption, this is not something you can expect a lot. since the engine has been around for years, it is not efficient as current series. if you can take 11-12liter/100km, then it should be o.k. btw, it is 1.5? it should be 1.6 auto right?

hye bro,

Thx for your comment, the car itself is 1.5. Since there is nothing to do with the fuel consumption then i dont think i will drive that car either. The seat and overall feeling for me was like driving with saloon seat ! high gravity make me feel like gonna drop when turn corner .... the handbrake is too low for me, but the performance is good compare to proton, hehe. Anyway, thx for ur advise, xD

tazztham

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

tazztham

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
u r welcome. i am very curious where do u get a 1.5 Matrix. it only comes in either 1.6 or 1.8. dont drive the car???

i am not sure why you bought the car then.

tazztham

junnylai

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

junnylai

6th Gear

• Members
  • 7 posts
QUOTE (tazztham @ May 27 2012, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
u r welcome. i am very curious where do u get a 1.5 Matrix. it only comes in either 1.6 or 1.8. dont drive the car???

i am not sure why you bought the car then.

sorry, its 1.6l ! I got confused ... hahaha, just because i always find 1.5l wira before i purchase this car. So psychologically confused xD

jcetham007

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

jcetham007

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
QUOTE (junnylai @ May 28 2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry, its 1.6l ! I got confused ... hahaha, just because i always find 1.5l wira before i purchase this car. So psychologically confused xD

Hi junnylai,

I have a friend driving 1.6L H. Matrix (A) 05 and her comment was that the FC was quite high and car lacks power...but otherwise, the vehicle is good.

Overall, power and performance is very subjective....and if this is very high on one's priority or preference...one would have chosen other cars...

Anyway I have never driven this car before....so personally unable to comment specifically...

But overall, for automatics...and with the consequent power losses due to the auto gbox ...and with a 1.6L engine...I have not really heard of any 1.6 auto which burns the tarmac on take off....or which is very fuel efficient..except perhaps for the latest models (2012)...

jcetham

jcetham007

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

jcetham007

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
QUOTE (junnylai @ May 26 2012, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear junnylai,

Not sure any advice is professionally given...for which some payment is in order but my zero sen worth is as below :-

1. be gentle on the accelerator pedal;
2. make sure your vehicle's lubricant specifications are suitable for what you want to achieve. Some good quality FS or SS engine oils are thinner (0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-40) which may assist in lowering FC while providing easier start ups AND make sure you service/replace your automatic gearbox oil/fluid at the recommended change interval OR EARLIER than recommended with original manufacturer specified AT fluid to protect/ensure smooth gearbox operation to save fuel and get optimal shift performance especially if your usage is heavy;
3. ensure tyres are of the manufacturer specified size, load and speed ratings AND properly inflated to the recommended levels before going on the road;
4. ensure/check your vehicle does not carry/lug around any unnecessary weighty items (save for yourself, spare tyre and emergency tools).
5. You might also want to drive around with 50% tank of petrol rather than full tank - to save weight;
6. use air-con sparingly or not at all if driving below 80 km/h speedwise;
7. ensure battery and electrics are in good serviceable condition and take care not to load the electrical system to reduce alternator/charging load - too many electrical gizmos in your car like ICE/GPS/TV Screen/CD player/Amplifiers/Ionizers/laptop will not make things easy for your electric system;
8. Don't speed beyond the legal limit - this saves petrol and avoid summons;
9. Drive smoothly - no jack rabbit acceleration and stops - when accelerate, you can do so gently and progressively;
10. You can also shut down engine entirely at traffic lights whilst waiting;
11. If you are really tight on fuel, drive at top gear at no more than 60 km/h on an extended basis.

You can add on a bit....and I may be wrong on any of the above...its up to you to decide or try...any

jcetham

junnylai

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

junnylai

6th Gear

• Members
  • 7 posts
QUOTE (jcetham007 @ May 28 2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear junnylai,

Not sure any advice is professionally given...for which some payment is in order but my zero sen worth is as below :-

1. be gentle on the accelerator pedal;
2. make sure your vehicle's lubricant specifications are suitable for what you want to achieve. Some good quality FS or SS engine oils are thinner (0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-40) which may assist in lowering FC while providing easier start ups AND make sure you service/replace your automatic gearbox oil/fluid at the recommended change interval OR EARLIER than recommended with original manufacturer specified AT fluid to protect/ensure smooth gearbox operation to save fuel and get optimal shift performance especially if your usage is heavy;
3. ensure tyres are of the manufacturer specified size, load and speed ratings AND properly inflated to the recommended levels before going on the road;
4. ensure/check your vehicle does not carry/lug around any unnecessary weighty items (save for yourself, spare tyre and emergency tools).
5. You might also want to drive around with 50% tank of petrol rather than full tank - to save weight;
6. use air-con sparingly or not at all if driving below 80 km/h speedwise;
7. ensure battery and electrics are in good serviceable condition and take care not to load the electrical system to reduce alternator/charging load - too many electrical gizmos in your car like ICE/GPS/TV Screen/CD player/Amplifiers/Ionizers/laptop will not make things easy for your electric system;
8. Don't speed beyond the legal limit - this saves petrol and avoid summons;
9. Drive smoothly - no jack rabbit acceleration and stops - when accelerate, you can do so gently and progressively;
10. You can also shut down engine entirely at traffic lights whilst waiting;
11. If you are really tight on fuel, drive at top gear at no more than 60 km/h on an extended basis.

You can add on a bit....and I may be wrong on any of the above...its up to you to decide or try...any

hi mates,

Well these are all useful driving habits. Really appreciate that because some of them i didnt even know . xD

teatime

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

teatime

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
the 1.8 CBU wasa joy to drive, really loved it. smile_thumbup.gif

gunner93

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

gunner93

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
My Matrix scores an average of about 8.5km per litre on Ron95. Nice run around car with spacious interior. However the booth lacks width and cant put my golf bag. The central locking is rough and the motor doesnt feel very lasting. Auto transmission feels fragile and has to shift with patience as engagement take 2 secs. I didnt like to beeping sound when keys are in Acc and I dont like the defaulted open external vent. The original engine and undercarriage mountings are prone to cracks after some years and a change will restore back quiet ride. Dont neglect radiator coolant change as the steel block tend to rust if its left unattended for years. The most unfortunate weakness about this car is the wide blind spot angle not covered by the side mirrors. Many times I almost collided with vehicles closing in on the rear quarter panel. I virtually have to turn my head to make a quick glance before cutting out. Was wondering how could Pininfarina could have missed this safety feature on the otherwise decently designed car?

"Less Booze, More Boost" 

http://gunner93.multiply.com