Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Old Ford Laser

• Please log in to reply

MASsenger

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
1987 model is still in the family. Need a carburettor for my old gal. Anyone knows any potong kerata shop I could try!

The REALdeal

Mean

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

Mean

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Apr 23 2012, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1987 model is still in the family. Need a carburettor for my old gal. Anyone knows any potong kerata shop I could try!

is it from the KE series?

I miss my Perdana V6...<FONT size=2><FONT face=Verdana><EM>

1999 c.c. V6 24 VALVE DOHC EFI ABS but no airbags<P></P>

MASsenger

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (Mean @ May 11 2012, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it from the KE series?

Sorry for late reply. I'm not sure what series,would the reg card indicate the series. It's a 1.5 liter hatchback.

The REALdeal

Mean

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Mean

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ May 17 2012, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for late reply. I'm not sure what series,would the reg card indicate the series. It's a 1.5 liter hatchback.

it must be the 5 door hatch Laser S? The sibling of 3 door TX3 that had 2 sets of round headlamps.

Mean

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Mean

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts
QUOTE (Mean @ May 17 2012, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it must be the 5 door hatch Laser S? The sibling of 3 door TX3 that had 2 sets of round headlamps.

this one?

MASsenger

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (Mean @ May 17 2012, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes that's it with square head lights. I think 2 models came, Laser and Laser S. Mine is Laser. Is that yours, you have restored it very well. Mine is metallic gold. Paintwork is fine and everything works. Any place I can get a carb!

The REALdeal

Mean

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Mean

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts
QUOTE (Mean @ May 17 2012, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this one?

My mom had one exactly like this, bought new in '89 and sold off in 2002 i think. This pic was taken off the Net.
This was a facelift to the original model launched in 1986. Three bodystyles were offered by AMIM Ford at that time, sedan (many taxis chose this model), 5-door hatch Laser S (like yours) and 3-door hatch (TX3).
Quite a number of Mazda Familia (which the Lasers were based upon) were also brought in as used grey imports although I personally feel the Mazda siblings didn't look as good as the Fords.

About the carb, is it very hard to get one? or is it because you insist on a used unit? Since there are still many Laser taxis running around parts shouldn't be hard to find. Both share the same engine.

MASsenger

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
My mechanic says used carb is very hard to get, may be able to get new one but expensive and not really worth it, $2k+. I'm not going to keep the car for long,so am looking for used carb. If I can't get a replacement carb,will sell the car next year after my brother finishes his Uni. If I get a replacement, then don't mind keeping the car as a spare for family members who come over for a visit. At the moment the engine dies off while idle sometimes, and consumes fuel like an old2 liter engine.

The REALdeal

Mean

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Mean

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

This is a good car. I remember tapau-ing a Satria 1.6 at 180km/h on the NSE sometime back in 1998 (either Laser is good or the Satria driver chickened out). Anyway, foolhardiness when young aside.. Ford needs to regain its glory days when TX3 was the choice given its "lots of punch for not so much money"..

MASsenger

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
Wow you did 180kmh, mine struggles after 150kmh. Anyway all that hot rodding was during my younger days. I was very keen on the new Ford Focus TDCI,sadly not brought here cos our diesel fuel quality.

The REALdeal