Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Elantra Test-drive : A Request To Reviewers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kaylcar

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

kaylcar

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
QUOTE (hongkie123 @ Apr 16 2012, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed sun roof is useless in Malaysia.

I'ts not a sunroof....it's a MOONROOF! On the Sonata HS and K5 it's a "panoramic roof".
Since there has been a paradigm shift in what this thing is, I think it's a great piece of kit! smile_approve.gif
Of course the more complex the car, the more it cost u to fix it (after the warranty expire)....so sell it after 5 years if don't want the hassle?
1,463,700 Scoville heat units.....can u feel the burn?

br1

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (kaylcar @ Apr 16 2012, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'ts not a sunroof....it's a MOONROOF! On the Sonata HS and K5 it's a "panoramic roof".
Since there has been a paradigm shift in what this thing is, I think it's a great piece of kit! smile_approve.gif
Of course the more complex the car, the more it cost u to fix it (after the warranty expire)....so sell it after 5 years if don't want the hassle?

That's what I think too, cars nowadays after 5 yrs with too many gadget and electronics - after 5 yrs the repairs may land more times in w/shop than on the roads.

jayraptor

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
Dear all who agreed with me on the unnecessary sunroof, panoramic, gadgets, etc.

Hyundai and Kia both have the less gadget specs. It depends whether SD and NASA wanted to bring them in. Also, looking at those who bought, majority went for the max gadgets instead. This tells, why. Probably people nowadays cared so much about gadgets. Same goes to handphones, laptops, etc.

Wonder why they need all that they don't even use much after owning for sometime. Luckily Sonata and Santa Fe has low specs. However, I hated the useless troublesome foot release parking brake a lot. Prefer handbrake. In comparison between Optima and Koup, I find the Koup easier to operate.

EvolutionZ

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

EvolutionZ

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
about Hyundai,
i am impressed with the design ..always the design stole my heart....
but a few concerns i always look for before recommending or purchasing it

1) handling - i tried avante ( a previous version of elantra i guess) the handling too soft and too comfy but really a NO NO for hard driver or spirited drive...u might end up in the drain

2) vibration - many ppl brought up this issue but me personally have no issue, my wife driving getz for many years...no issue so far

3) FC - too many bad comments bout how thirsty Hyundai car was...but again no issue, my getz Fc is common compared to other make.

4) resale value - i guess all cars resale is bad nowaday....

so it can be conclude ..willing buyer, willing seller....choice is yours!

philwong

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

philwong

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
My 2 cents for the Elantra 1.6 AT High Spec:

Quiet, roomy at the back for wife and kid, good acoustics for stereo at low speed, steering felt slightly heavy.

Sluggish on the start and slow to pickup when merging with traffic - perhaps it's way too new to be pushed.

Rounding a corner and going through a strip of cut road (unpaved) was a bit jarring, maybe the suspension was harder.

Regards

kaylcar

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

kaylcar

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
beware of adding electrical components to Hyundai and Kia cars...they use a very sensitive CAN-bus, easily upset by aftermarket alarms, audio installs and electronic fuel saving gizmos such as "voltage stabilizers" and grounding kits! smile_tongue.gif

1,463,700 Scoville heat units.....can u feel the burn?

soonmin

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

soonmin

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Torsion beam rear makes the car rather crashy over potholes! I could feel the car slamming down over a pothole which a Vw polo sedan (I tested at same place) managed so much better without any slammed like Elantra. Pity! My wife liked the look of the Elantra so much.

soonmin

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

soonmin

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
QUOTE (ring @ Apr 16 2012, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the sun-roof thing...you got little choice if you choose the 1.8 version.

I myself is not a supporter to this gadget bcos of :

1. Not practical to get fresh air unlike those 4 season country

2. Frequent problem once age of car exceed 5...possible roof emitting wind sound or leak due to weather strip wear & tear

3. High chance of forming rust around the edge of the moon-roof

Usually should not have any rust unless it is done outside manufacturing facility. I saw the Elantra and it has option to close and block sunlight completely. Same for K5.

jayraptor

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (soonmin @ Apr 23 2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Torsion beam rear makes the car rather crashy over potholes! I could feel the car slamming down over a pothole which a Vw polo sedan (I tested at same place) managed so much better without any slammed like Elantra. Pity! My wife liked the look of the Elantra so much.

If you take the best torsion beam to pit against the best multi-link suspension setup, the best Multi-link will win. The Elantra's rear torsion beam beats several cars with rear multi-link but not the proper handling car with multi-link. Conti cars are always king in handling and they owned the best absorbers.

If you are looking for family car with proper reliability + durability, you can go for Elantra. If you have higher budget and don't mind less space, go for VW Polo sedan.

yeong

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

yeong

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts
QUOTE (soonmin @ Apr 23 2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Elantra is sporty sedan while Polo sedan for comfort, of cos different characteristic. Change Elantra tires to high profile should help,but ur wife may not like the look anymore smile_clown.gif
Give & take bro,not everyday u'll pit potholes right?