Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Questions and answers on CVT Saga, Exora, P3

• Please log in to reply

cpt

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

cpt

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
Hi kristof

Could the ecm issue be the cause of the 'jerking' when coasting down? especially coast from 30km/h

Kwar

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Kwar

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts
QUOTE (kristof @ Apr 18 2012, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you cannot make a gearbox everybode likes. Furthermore you can offcoarse get a 7at or dsg, if you like to pay 6000rm more for your car : ), maybe buy the 308 turbo then?

I think the lowest spec IAFM+ & manual gbox is a safe and good buy! Put in the after mart supercharger... it will be awesome! smile_thumbup.gif

I still dont understand with Proton esp in the marketing strategy. U put in the CFE engine in the sedan...most probably those the enthusiast driver is the main target. Do u expect they will drive this kind of car like driving an electric/hybrid cars? At least offer the CFE + Manual tranny or AT with tiptronic! Im sure they will not bother about the FC when buying the car. The CVT is more suited with NA engine ~ IAFM/CPS!

Same strory with Savvy. It was really a good car... but mated the Renault engine + AMT?? I think if they produce the Savvy now with IAFM + normal AT or CVT ~ for sure it will do really well. smile_approve.gif

kristof

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

kristof

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
QUOTE (cfa @ Apr 19 2012, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kristof or Gunner, care to comment on this?

I did, please review page 3. thanks

kristof

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

kristof

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
QUOTE (Kwar @ Apr 20 2012, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the lowest spec IAFM+ & manual gbox is a safe and good buy! Put in the after mart supercharger... it will be awesome! smile_thumbup.gif

I still dont understand with Proton esp in the marketing strategy. U put in the CFE engine in the sedan...most probably those the enthusiast driver is the main target. Do u expect they will drive this kind of car like driving an electric/hybrid cars? At least offer the CFE + Manual tranny or AT with tiptronic! Im sure they will not bother about the FC when buying the car. The CVT is more suited with NA engine ~ IAFM/CPS!

Same strory with Savvy. It was really a good car... but mated the Renault engine + AMT?? I think if they produce the Savvy now with IAFM + normal AT or CVT ~ for sure it will do really well. smile_approve.gif

Well, I own a Mini Cooper Works GP limited edition with supercharged engine and CVT and I can tell you it suits just well. A lot is calibration. You can make a CVT agressive and sport as well, especially in manual mode. I do think people forget that Proton has to meet Euro norms with the P3 (fuel consumption and CO2), you can produce a sporty car, no problem but you meet norms. Another thing not CVT related is the pedal map for P3 (how much torque delivered at which pedal percentage. The one in the P3 is lazyer than the one in Exora. But that might change soon, based on feedbacks like these.

wlighter

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

wlighter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
QUOTE (kristof @ Apr 20 2012, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I own a Mini Cooper Works GP limited edition with supercharged engine and CVT and I can tell you it suits just well. A lot is calibration. You can make a CVT agressive and sport as well, especially in manual mode. I do think people forget that Proton has to meet Euro norms with the P3 (fuel consumption and CO2), you can produce a sporty car, no problem but you meet norms. Another thing not CVT related is the pedal map for P3 (how much torque delivered at which pedal percentage. The one in the P3 is lazyer than the one in Exora. But that might change soon, based on feedbacks like these.

i hope they change it to much sharper response. if they do implement it. hope you will let us know. this involve ECU reflashing right?

kcng

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

kcng

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
QUOTE (kristof @ Apr 17 2012, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CVT overheating?

Our CVT will never overheat doing high speed due to the oil cooler installed. Flow through is cooler is very high at high speeds (both oil and wind going trough). I challange you... smile.gif

best regards![/color]

if i am to run the car at 5.5k rpm for 30 mins straight (example), instead of just short burst of 5.5k rpm...
it will not overheat right?

btw another question, is the CVT programmed to "upshift" at 5.5k rpm? can it be programmed higher?
and the CVT only allows "downshift" once the rpm goes below 3k/3.5k rpm (if i remember correctly during the test drive)

i understand that the max power of the engine is at 5k rpm and anything more will be pointless...

but i would like to hear your opinion on this....

thank you...

kristof

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

kristof

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
QUOTE (wlighter @ Apr 20 2012, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i hope they change it to much sharper response. if they do implement it. hope you will let us know. this involve ECU reflashing right?

Indeed, this is no official information however so don't expect it too soon.
I only know that proton knows clients think its too lazy so i suspect them to change this

Regards

kristof

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

kristof

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
QUOTE (kcng @ Apr 20 2012, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if i am to run the car at 5.5k rpm for 30 mins straight (example), instead of just short burst of 5.5k rpm...
it will not overheat right?

btw another question, is the CVT programmed to "upshift" at 5.5k rpm? can it be programmed higher?
and the CVT only allows "downshift" once the rpm goes below 3k/3.5k rpm (if i remember correctly during the test drive)

i understand that the max power of the engine is at 5k rpm and anything more will be pointless...

but i would like to hear your opinion on this....

thank you...

No it will not overheat!
For the upshift it is as you mention, torque above 5500rpm drops a lot, so no use of doing this. All of the energy will go into accelerating the pistions and moving parts in stead of to the output shaft.
The downshift is programmed so that once downshifted you don't have a major shock, if we would allow downshift and you would shift down to eg 5500rpm engine braking is so high that you feel a big shock, that is why it is at intermediate rpm

kcng

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

kcng

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
QUOTE (kristof @ Apr 20 2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it will not overheat!
For the upshift it is as you mention, torque above 5500rpm drops a lot, so no use of doing this. All of the energy will go into accelerating the pistions and moving parts in stead of to the output shaft.
The downshift is programmed so that once downshifted you don't have a major shock, if we would allow downshift and you would shift down to eg 5500rpm engine braking is so high that you feel a big shock, that is why it is at intermediate rpm

thank you for the assurance... indeed it will be a big help...

since the VT3 is already almost at the limits of the amount of torque that it can handle, this will indeed be a hindrance to the aftermarket community..

is the actual rated max torque is at 215 NM or it still can be push further.. to like maybe 230 NM?
im sure the 215 NM is a "safe" max rating....

thank you..

cfa

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

cfa

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
QUOTE (kristof @ Apr 20 2012, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did, please review page 3. thanks

Apologies, did not see it. I am not trying to flog a dead horse (if u get my meaning) and neither are you to be blamed but the margin is just too thin.

If your tyre speed rating was only 110 km/h, meaning anything higher would result in a shorter life span, would u drive at speeds of 102 km/h on a daily basis and for prolonged periods. That would be asking for trouble right?

(the above is based on max torque of 220 nm / 2 and just replacing with km/h)

How durable is the CVT if you operate at 93% capacity all the time. Half the expected life span if you operated at 50% capacity. Its just like tyres, drive faster all the time and wear out faster. The worse thing even if someone wants to prolong the life of the CVT , he has no idea how much torque is being used or is he placing too much strain on the CVT.

Seriously, you guys must really explain this issue properly. Nest to the engine, the Gear Box is and must be the most durable component. However, based on public statements like max torque of only 220 nm before life span is compromised means that the Gearbox is very fragile. An additional 7% margin is just too thin.

Please ask your Bosses and Proton to address this issue. Motoring Journalist must also bring this up with the Management. Changing Gear Box is not like changing tyres. There are ppl who value input from Motoring Journalist.