Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Iafm Replacement

• Please log in to reply

jasondotcom

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

jasondotcom

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
I replaced my first unit (due to the infamous knocking noise problem) at around 5k KM in year 2009. Now clocking at around 63k KM, my 2nd unit. sleep.gif

I was told that this new batch unit is greatly improved in terms of reliability of the internal long runner / short runner plastic flaps that usually was the culprit of the noise. I wonder how long this will last me.

Another thing i noticed, my intake noise is louder at 3k rpm with the notable "zingy" noise in front. I wondered what caused that. The FC also improved over my previous unit (even before the flaps emit the knocking noise) and the low rpm torque also improved and spread more evenly across the rpm band to redline.

Anyone have any reviews on this?

slushmatic

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

slushmatic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
QUOTE (jasondotcom @ Mar 6 2012, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I replaced my first unit (due to the infamous knocking noise problem) at around 5k KM in year 2009. Now clocking at around 63k KM, my 2nd unit. sleep.gif

I was told that this new batch unit is greatly improved in terms of reliability of the internal long runner / short runner plastic flaps that usually was the culprit of the noise. I wonder how long this will last me.

Another thing i noticed, my intake noise is louder at 3k rpm with the notable "zingy" noise in front. I wondered what caused that. The FC also improved over my previous unit (even before the flaps emit the knocking noise) and the low rpm torque also improved and spread more evenly across the rpm band to redline.
Anyone have any reviews on this?

Interesting to read, my Q3. 2009, (36,000 Km) automatic car has'nt shown any IAFM problems/noises so far.
The power delivery has always been linear/evenly spread, the IAFM switchover is'nt noticeable as such when driving.

I'm about to take delivery of a Simota drop-in airfilter - Anyone have any reviews on this?? lol
'Do average things - get average results'

mosh

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

mosh

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
QUOTE (slushmatic @ Mar 6 2012, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting to read, my Q3. 2009, (36,000 Km) automatic car has'nt shown any IAFM problems/noises so far.
The power delivery has always been linear/evenly spread, the IAFM switchover is'nt noticeable as such when driving.

I'm about to take delivery of a Simota drop-in airfilter - Anyone have any reviews on this?? lol

Im using it.. Less restriction from the stock, better airflow, noticed better pickup.

Share my experience on iafm kaput..
1- i can feel the torque dip during overtaking, slow to drop gear and accelerate
2- lost of power during high speed
3- car launcing too slow
4- the infamous motorboat sound.. Tak tak tak tak tak tak

The ultimate confirmation on my iafm kong is during dyno.. The torque is output is much lower compared to other campro result. But i get high output on hp..

Gunnerzz

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (mosh @ Mar 6 2012, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im using it.. Less restriction from the stock, better airflow, noticed better pickup.

Share my experience on iafm kaput..
1- i can feel the torque dip during overtaking, slow to drop gear and accelerate
2- lost of power during high speed
3- car launcing too slow
4- the infamous motorboat sound.. Tak tak tak tak tak tak

The ultimate confirmation on my iafm kong is during dyno.. The torque is output is much lower compared to other campro result. But i get high output on hp..

I dont own a Pesona but the IAFM in my BLM has been replaced twice b4.
It happened within a year. I think it happened in 2009 or early 2010.. Mileage is 68k now and have no more problem.

When it 1st kaput, power on lower rev sucks. The tak3 sound can be heard all the time at low rev but its not that loud in my case.

On the second time,The motorboat sound only happen intermittently which makes it hard for the SA to detect. I had to record the sound and let them hear it as a prove b4 they replace it. Funny ting is, power on high rev is better......weird.

I am using an open pod instead of a drop in.
On low rev (<2500rpm) it sounded normal but u will notice a slightly better pull from standstill.
Above that range of rev the intake sound is nicer to the ears, its more meaty and revs a little quicker.
I am getting better fc on this filter.

jasondotcom

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

jasondotcom

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
QUOTE (slushmatic @ Mar 6 2012, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes the IAFM switch over isn't noticeable and the power delivery is always linear / evenly spread. BUT, if you really really notice it, there is improvement on different units of IAFM (in my case, the older and the newer units).

And on the Simota drop in filter aka panel filter, yes i am using it. Improvements? Yes, quite noticeable and there is quite an improvement too.

BUT please remember to "reset" your car's ECU by unplugging the battery and leave it roughly half and hour (no specific time reported by SC or owners so far).

Because if you do not reset it after you replace ur air filter to after market performance filters, you will notice a degrade of performance and FC. It happened to mine. Throttle was very unresponsive, engine feels lazy and FC shot up. After the "reset" everything was back to normal and got better.

This is mine below:

Works Engineering / Simota air filter - RM140.

Close up.

I recommend you to replace your headers to 4-2-1 config. Both this items will help A LOT in improvement. My Persona (A) dyno result was this:

BEFORE (ALL STOCK)

73.16 whp & 112.06 nm tq.

AFTER (SIMOTA PANEL REPLACEMENT FILTER, 4-2-1 HEADERS & TOPCAT MIDBOX (REPLACE STOCK MIDBOX)

81.41 whp & 128.49 nm tq.

QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Mar 7 2012, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It happened within a year. I think it happened in 2009 or early 2010.. Mileage is 68k now and have no more problem.

When it 1st kaput, power on lower rev sucks. The tak3 sound can be heard all the time at low rev but its not that loud in my case.

On the second time,The motorboat sound only happen intermittently which makes it hard for the SA to detect. I had to record the sound and let them hear it as a prove b4 they replace it. Funny ting is, power on high rev is better......weird.

On low rev (<2500rpm) it sounded normal but u will notice a slightly better pull from standstill.
Above that range of rev the intake sound is nicer to the ears, its more meaty and revs a little quicker.

You have any pics on your open pod? What brand you went for?

slushmatic

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

slushmatic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
QUOTE (jasondotcom @ Mar 28 2012, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes the IAFM switch over isn't noticeable and the power delivery is always linear / evenly spread. BUT, if you really really notice it, there is improvement on different units of IAFM (in my case, the older and the newer units).

And on the Simota drop in filter aka panel filter, yes i am using it. Improvements? Yes, quite noticeable and there is quite an improvement too.

I recommend you to replace your headers to 4-2-1 config. Both this items will help A LOT in improvement. My Persona (A) dyno result was this:

BEFORE (ALL STOCK)

73.16 whp & 112.06 nm tq.

AFTER (SIMOTA PANEL REPLACEMENT FILTER, 4-2-1 HEADERS & TOPCAT MIDBOX (REPLACE STOCK MIDBOX)

81.41 whp & 128.49 nm tq.

That's quite an impressive improvement in torque figure, (up over 14%) - I assume that's a corrected 'flywheel' reading?
- puts things to just above Campro CPS level wink.gif

Would also like to know out of interest at what RPM both the stock and modded figures were recorded, (assuming you can recall) smile.gif

Fitted the Simota mainly to save on paying for P1 paper elements every 18 months, (not so cheap here) - any modest performance increase is just a bonus.

Porbably won't bother with changing the exhaust manifold/header, as car is quick enough for my needs anyway, though I do expect to be changing the whole exhaust, (catcon-back) for a quiet custom S/S one whenever the original needs replacement due to corrosion, (not likely for a few years yet)

jasondotcom

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

jasondotcom

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
QUOTE (slushmatic @ Mar 29 2012, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's quite an impressive improvement in torque figure, (up over 14%) - I assume that's a corrected 'flywheel' reading?
- puts things to just above Campro CPS level wink.gif

Would also like to know out of interest at what RPM both the stock and modded figures were recorded, (assuming you can recall) smile.gif

Fitted the Simota mainly to save on paying for P1 paper elements every 18 months, (not so cheap here) - any modest performance increase is just a bonus.

Porbably won't bother with changing the exhaust manifold/header, as car is quick enough for my needs anyway, though I do expect to be changing the whole exhaust, (catcon-back) for a quiet custom S/S one whenever the original needs replacement due to corrosion, (not likely for a few years yet)

For your reference:

BEFORE

AFTER

slushmatic

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

slushmatic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
[quote name='jasondotcom' date='Jul 14 2012, 10:21 AM' post='1828921']
That looks strange to me, (unless I'm just being a bit thick) as peaks of power and torque seem
nowhere near the 6500/4000 RPM region Proton claim they should be, (and would make sense)
on either 'After' and especialy the 'Before' graphs as shown.

Of course you would'nt expect them to be exact, but should be within 500 RPM either way...?

jasondotcom

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

jasondotcom

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
So anybody got any further views on the IAFM vs IAFM+ units? What's the difference?

jasondotcom

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

jasondotcom

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Mar 7 2012, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

urs is a automatic or stick shift?