Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Evoque

• Please log in to reply

br1

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (roocarroll @ Nov 5 2012, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Posh shopper! LOL

should be a better buy than any Jap posh like Lexus or Infinite?

e90

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

e90

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
3 pages of comments and opinion but........never mind. Can anyone care to comment on the ride quality? Highway, on our pothole filled city roads and slight off-roading?

goBetong

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

goBetong

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I was told the diesel engine in LD Evoque is the same as that of Ford Ranger 2.2 (150 PSI); but of course tuned to 190 PSI.

True?
goBetong

alldisc

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
QUOTE (goBetong @ Dec 24 2012, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was told the diesel engine in LD Evoque is the same as that of Ford Ranger 2.2 (150 PSI); but of course tuned to 190 PSI.

True?

it is the same even with Jaguar XF, and if not mistaken... Peugoet 508 GT 2.2 TD. it is just that good even though a little noisy during idle.

sankerli

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

sankerli

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
QUOTE (e90 @ Dec 23 2012, 04:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 pages of comments and opinion but........never mind. Can anyone care to comment on the ride quality? Highway, on our pothole filled city roads and slight off-roading?

On testdriving both petrol and diesel from the Federal Highway thru Jalan Templer to the NPE and then back via Sunway, Subang Jaya and the Federal Highway, i did not feel the 20" wheels to be that intrusive or jarring. There was turbo lag on the diesel esp from 1st gear, 2nd gear, and entering and clearing roundabouts. I felt very little lag on the petrol. In fact, the petrol had silky smooth gear changes and i was stunned by the power. Alas, all range rover evoque forums highlight the thirstiness of the petrol engine.

Tourist

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (DarthDude @ Oct 29 2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Evoque is not a Range Rover- it's like the "Mini" which isn't mini, the VW Beetle which is not a Beetle....... it's something badged and priced and designed just to make money out of past glories.

A Mini is a work of design genius- carries 4 and luggage in a 10 foot wheelbase.... reliable and cheap. It also had power and handling to become a very successful race car in beating much larger and more powerful opponents in its day. The current "Mini" is nothing like that- it's HUGE outside but not very large inside, has all the maintenance issues of any modern "disposable" car and has none of the brilliance of the original.

A VW Beetle is another work of genius- aircooled boxer four, doesn't produce much power but the car does not stop for anything. It has a lot of interior space, was comfortable to ride in and had the magic RR-layout handling which Porsche drivers go nuts for. The "icon" is nothing but an icon- something made to look like something that was great. FF layout, watercooled.... the only thing Beetle about it is the body shape.

A Range Rover is a special vehicle- it does EVERYTHING well. It transports 5 people and luggage on highways in as much comfort as a 5 series or E class sedan, it transports all the IKEA flat packs you want and yes... it can do it again over all the estate roads and logging tracks a Defender can cross. THAT is what a Range Rover is.... this Evoque on the other hand is no more than a dressed up CRV good for no more than taking ladies shopping, or kids to school.

When I think back to watching Jeremy Clarkson laughing at the BMW X5 on Top Gear, inventing the term "on-roader" to describe offroad-incapable SUVs like the X5, Harrier, Murano, Cayenne etc etc etc, and comparing it back to a Range Rover (a real one- the L322) to show the audience what a "real" off-roader could do and I watch him now, driving the Evoque through 6-inch deep streams you could cross in a Perodua Viva to show the Evoque is offroad-capable, I get sick to my stomach...... how much have we been ayam-ised by these people. How easily they make us part with our hard-earned cash just by sticking a respected brand on something mediocre but flashy and driving it through a puddle.

It's just so they can make money, people- your money...... and that makes me think back to another episode of Top Gear when Clarkson destroyed a Perodua Kenari in "anger" because he "hates" people who make "crap" cars just to "make money". Interesting he hasn't taken the same slegdehammer to a New "Mini", New "Beetle" and and Evoque now, isn't it?

Having lived amongst them for quite few years make me realize these Westerner can be as hypocritical as anyone else in this world but will do one better by sitting on some moral high stool lecturing the world about ethic.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

Breadman

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Breadman

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
QUOTE (goBetong @ Dec 24 2012, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True?

Yes, and the petrol engine is from the Ford Mondeo.
"Behind every great fortune there is a crime." ~ Mario Puzo (The Godfather)

escapee

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

escapee

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (DarthDude @ Nov 5 2012, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually come to think of it (it is 1:30am after all), if they'd called it something else I'd probably quite like it. I'd probably actually go out and buy one.

You see, when Land Rover created something new back in 1975- a comfortable, less agricultural 4x4 which would be equally at home on the highways and in the boondocks, they had the courage to call it something new.... they gave the new car a new name- "Range Rover".

Now they've created something else- a utility vehicle for the city only this time around the marketing guys seem to have lost their nerve when it came to giving the new creation a name.... they took the cheap, coward's way out and decided to cash in on an entirely different franchise.

I'm sure we can do better..... so... here's some suggestions. Please feel free to add your own and if you do better than me, your next teh tarik is on me.

Road Rover
Street Ranger
Range Roader
Posh Shopper
Shop Posher
Viva Forever

I agreed with you that they shld not have used the range rover brand. For the first few yrs evoque was launched, I din not notice they place it under the range rover brand till a fren pointed out to me. I always tot its just LAND ROVER -EVOQUE.

However, the evoque is a very good SUV on its own, based on review from my dad. haha. He sat in it from KL to JB, in fren car. Was travelling at 160km/h and sae it felt planted and powerful. He used to hate Range Rover (for high maintenance and ugliness, sorry), but was won over by this mini SUV. So convincing was this car.

DarthDude

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

DarthDude

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
Well...... a 20 year old Mercedes W124 is also very convincing on the road. I know because I have one.

A Range Rover needs to be more than that.

The other thing about the Rave Spicer is its dependence on the Ford parts bin for its engine and gearbox (Mondeo for petrol and Ranger for diesel) if I hearsay correctly. Now..... I have no experience of my own but I think neither car has a great reputation for durability of these components and I think it's possible that this Shop Rover may suffer from the same reliability and durability issues further down the line.

Oh well.... as I said..... it's whoever's-going-to-buy-one's money and choice....... and I guess if they wanna go borrow 300+k (thereby paying close on 600k) for one of these Posh Ravers then so be it la........

I'll try to keep the laughter down.... HONEST!
1991 Mercedes 300E24 Sportline
1997 Range Rover 2.5DSE
2005 BMW R1100S Boxercup Replica
2008 Gilera Fuoco
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer