Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Hot Swap A Car Battery

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

tkw138

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

tkw138

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
Something to share and may be good to know...

When I sent my car to a workshop for battery replacement recently.
I noticed the mechanic purposely start and leave the car engine running and replaced the battery.
I thought he was smart.

And now I know I'm stubit...because I didn't know it can impact my pocket badly. smile_clown.gif

So, before witnessing a battery hot swap, here may be some information for reference.

Extracted a paragraph from one of the articles posted online for general references.

One of the advices suggesting never disconnect the battery with the engine running.

"Never disconnect the battery with the engine running. Doing a battery "hot swap" for example, in theory the surge protection diode will stop any damage from occurring, however it is very far from unknown for this diode to fail, if it does you will then need to replace the alternator..."

neonlee

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

neonlee

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts
QUOTE (tkw138 @ Feb 28 2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed the mechanic purposely start and leave the car engine running and replaced the battery.
I thought he was smart.

And now I know I'm stubit...because I didn't know it can impact my pocket badly. smile_clown.gif

So, before witnessing a battery hot swap, here may be some information for reference.

Extracted a paragraph from one of the articles posted online for general references.

One of the advices suggesting never disconnect the battery with the engine running.

"Never disconnect the battery with the engine running. Doing a battery "hot swap" for example, in theory the surge protection diode will stop any damage from occurring, however it is very far from unknown for this diode to fail, if it does you will then need to replace the alternator..."

The mechanic worry about your car cant be start after replacement of battery...it happened on some car but not rexy..
the hot swap of battery are not advisible on our rexy...

cute_boboi

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
What my batt mechanic did is:

(1) Take a spare/old charged battery with crocodile clip.
(2) Ensure engine is off, key is out.
(3) Use the croc clip the car battery terminal cable. This is to provide juice from the spare battery when the old battery is disconnected.
(4) Loosen the cable connector, lift up. Take out the old batt.
(5) Put in new batt.
(6) Tighten back both cable.
(7) Unclip both the croc clips

Voila. Done.

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous

Nokia6280

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Nokia6280

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
QUOTE (tkw138 @ Feb 28 2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought he was smart.

From what i understand, the reason why some workshop replacing car battery with engine is running is to avoid setting lost by ECU, Radio, Power windows and etc....

Now i know a good reason to not start car engine for a battery change. Thanks! smile_thumbup.gif

Cute_boboi way also good as well.. smile_thumbup.gif

r3xt0n

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (neonlee @ Feb 28 2012, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mechanic worry about your car cant be start after replacement of battery...it happened on some car but not rexy..
the hot swap of battery are not advisible on our rexy...

The few setting that will be lost would be radio/TV station setting, memory seat setting, aircon setting if disconnect battery out. Have did that umpteen of times when fixing the solenoid valve that is located below the battery and testing Voltage Stablizer.

kenny4744

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

kenny4744

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
Hi bros,

Need your help. My rexy lights keeps flickering (very mild flicker) .
Most noticeable is the cabin door light and cockpit display at night
Any root cause?

allan69

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

allan69

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
QUOTE (kenny4744 @ Jul 2 2012, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi bros,

Need your help. My rexy lights keeps flickering (very mild flicker) .
Most noticeable is the cabin door light and cockpit display at night
Any root cause?

Bro, does that happen before strating the engine, after starting the engine or both? Check the '+' and '-' terminals connection of your battery. Measure the battery voltage if it is still healthy. It should be at around 12V before starting the engine and around 13 ~ 14V or alightly more after started the engine. This should give you an indication if either your battery or alternator is due for change sad.gif

My Rex is currently with Ecomap, customized Turbo Vacuum Hose, K&N Drop in Filter, Bendix 4WD Brake Pad (Front & Rear), Petronas Urania SUPREMO CI-4 Lubricant Oil, FUCH TiTAN ATF 3353, Rear Coil Dampener, Tufoil Engine Treatment, HID 4300K, . . . . .

r3xt0n

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (allan69 @ Jul 2 2012, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro, does that happen before strating the engine, after starting the engine or both? Check the '+' and '-' terminals connection of your battery. Measure the battery voltage if it is still healthy. It should be at around 12V before starting the engine and around 13 ~ 14V or alightly more after started the engine. This should give you an indication if either your battery or alternator is due for change sad.gif

Alternator can be serviced, so can try servicing before deciding to replace a new one.

car4ktlee

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

car4ktlee

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Jul 3 2012, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alternator can be serviced, so can try servicing before deciding to replace a new one.

For my understanding, there are few type of ECU controlled car required resetting while battery change - the ECU will lock-out once the power is lost.
For this case, many of mechanics practice to hot-swap the battery instead of letting ECU detect fault code.

In theory, battery is acting as power supply before our engine is start (before Alternator is activate). Once alternator is run, the battery is in charging stage and shall charge battery to its optimization stage. If we step acc pedal, both will release supply to necessary parts… to sustain car operation.

Advised from my in-law, please do not acc engine while hot-swap, beware battery terminals touching etc. This may causes a lot of unknown parts fail.

For Rexton, we do not require to take risk for hot-swap because we can dismantling battery anytime we like but remember to tighten it probably… this is because if the terminal is loosen, it act as “hot-swap” stage even during we driving… so please check your terminal is tighten (not able to rotate)

regards,
Jayce Lee
-
RxJayce - Rx270xdi, silver color, born 2005May.

kenny4744

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

kenny4744

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
Thanks guy for your advice
Will get my Alternator change

Kenny

QUOTE (car4ktlee @ Jul 4 2012, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For my understanding, there are few type of ECU controlled car required resetting while battery change - the ECU will lock-out once the power is lost.
For this case, many of mechanics practice to hot-swap the battery instead of letting ECU detect fault code.

In theory, battery is acting as power supply before our engine is start (before Alternator is activate). Once alternator is run, the battery is in charging stage and shall charge battery to its optimization stage. If we step acc pedal, both will release supply to necessary parts… to sustain car operation.

Advised from my in-law, please do not acc engine while hot-swap, beware battery terminals touching etc. This may causes a lot of unknown parts fail.

For Rexton, we do not require to take risk for hot-swap because we can dismantling battery anytime we like but remember to tighten it probably… this is because if the terminal is loosen, it act as “hot-swap” stage even during we driving… so please check your terminal is tighten (not able to rotate)

regards,
Jayce Lee