Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Paying Deposit With Credit Card

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Mar 21 2012, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
paid with card and cheque - no problem for both as long your card and cheque can be cleared.

They prefer cheque or cash. By card they loose another 1 to 2 %...... smile_wink.gif

LanGanu007

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

LanGanu007

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts
I used to know a gentleman during my student days whom only buy car by full payment in cash and never apply for car loan...lucky guy smile_blush.gif

However on 2 occasions he didn't bring his chequebook with him. He nevertheless, wanted to complete the purchase and registration of those vehicle on that day itself. So, on both occasions he purchased those cars using his credit/charge card. I thought it was impossible to purchase a car by fully paying by credit card but, I witnessed these transactions going through without any hitches smile_blackeye.gif

I later found out from this gentleman that it was possible for him to do so because during one of those purchases, he had used an American Express Black Card (I didn't know the significance of such card back then...now I do smile_blackeye.gif ). During the other vehicle purchase, he used his Platinum Visa card. But here's the fact that literally got my eyeballs out...His Platinum Visa had a credit limit of USD5million.

Although I'm a strong believer that money isn't everything, I cannot deny the fact that it's amazing what money can do to these privileged individuals smile_blush.gif

Nevertheless, relevant to this thread, yes, you can secure your deposit and or downpayment of your vehicle purchase by using your credit card as long as you have sufficient credit and, no, it is not a cash advance. It is a normal charge to your credit card account as how you transact with other merchants using your credit card...therefore you'll not incur cash advance charges and bank interest charge which is charged per day from the day the cash advance is made until the cash advance is repaid IN FULL irrespective of your credit card statement payment due date.

As Bro vettelR2turbo pointed out...some car dealership prefer cash/cheque/wire payment for the deposit/downpayment to maximise their profit by avoiding incurring bank charges for credit card payment. Imagine, when you are paying 10% to 30% of a $30,000 car multiplied by 10 units per day or over a $200,000 car multiplied by 1 to 5 units per day. Though I don't agree and will not bow down with these dealerships' objectives of maximising profit, I can understand their financial justification.
--007--

vr2turbo

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
Probably he paid the credit card bank charges, that is why they accept his credit card...... smile_tongue.gif

jflcorp

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

jflcorp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ May 8 2012, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably he paid the credit card bank charges, that is why they accept his credit card...... smile_tongue.gif

They usually top up the figure with 3% to cover the charges plus a little small change as more profit....

vr2turbo

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (jflcorp @ May 8 2012, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They usually top up the figure with 3% to cover the charges plus a little small change as more profit....

Wah! 3% is very high. I remember small volume only 2% and if volume is high can be 1.5% only..... smile_tongue.gif

jflcorp

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

jflcorp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ May 8 2012, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wah! 3% is very high. I remember small volume only 2% and if volume is high can be 1.5% only..... smile_tongue.gif

That's why the shops still earn that extra percentage. Use credit card want easy mah, so they charge extra lor...

vr2turbo

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (jflcorp @ May 8 2012, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why the shops still earn that extra percentage. Use credit card want easy mah, so they charge extra lor...

Profit from all sources...... smile_shock.gif