Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Ford Mondeo Eco Boost Vs Mazda 6 2.5

• Please log in to reply

nitebird

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

nitebird

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
Hi, is there anyone tried Mondeo Eco Boost and Mazda 6, any comment / advice on both car in term of engine performance, handling, comfortable.

droll

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

droll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts
QUOTE (nitebird @ Feb 11 2012, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, is there anyone tried Mondeo Eco Boost and Mazda 6, any comment / advice on both car in term of engine performance, handling, comfortable.

i have not driven the mazda 6 2.5L before (as i believe the 2.0L mazda6 cannot be compared with mondeo ecoboost).

1) mazda 6 doesn't come with powershift (dual clutch gearbox). so i believe ford wins. smoother, faster shifts. mazda 6 has 5 speed auto. mondeo has 6 speed powershift.
2) engine performance - ecoboost wins. look at the torque difference. 172bhp, 228nm (mazda 6) vs 203bhp, 300nm (mondeo ecoboost). torque is what you feel when the car is accelerating. go test drive both and you will feel the difference - it is very noticeable.
3) comfort - i believe mondeo wins. go test drive both. floor the accelerator and you will hear how muted and refined the mondeo is.
4) handling - both cars use the same shared platform. however both manufacturers are free to tweak other things like spring rates, dampers, tyres, etc. the mondeo handles much better than you'd expect for such a big car. i'll go try out the mazda when i get a chance. smile.gif

mazda 6 does have a few good things going for it
1. some say it looks much better than the mondeo.
2. the 2.5L has sunroof. (to me oklah but after a while, the novelty wears off).
3. bermaz motor fits an aftermarket headunit on the 2.5L now which has GPS and reverse camera, bluetooth etc etc. if i recall, this is a caska or flyaudio unit. some like it, some don't. i personally feel it looks out of place in the dashboard.

then there's the matter of road tax. wink.gif RM379.50 for mondeo vs RM868 for mazda 2.5L. i dunno bout you but the difference of RM488.50 in a one time payment is a lot for me! smile.gif

this might help a bit more - http://forum.lowyat....pic/2045978/all

Kevin

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
I believe that the current Mazda 6 no longer shares its platform with the current Mondeo. If memory serves me right, the current Mazda 6 uses a revised platform from the previous Mazda 6 which was based on the older Mondeo.

nitebird

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

nitebird

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
ya....mondeo is a internal beauty with high spec engine & gear box, but mazda 6 is damn handsome from the outlook.

they don't share the engine, right??

still no time to test the cars. so, just having a little chat here to gain more infor.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, guys !!

droll

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

droll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts
QUOTE (nitebird @ Feb 12 2012, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya....mondeo is a internal beauty with high spec engine & gear box, but mazda 6 is damn handsome from the outlook.

still no time to test the cars. so, just having a little chat here to gain more infor.

no way are the engines the same. like day and night as it is NA vs turbo. for looks, that is subjective. take a look at this http://www.ford.co.u...a...&blobkey=id

jayraptor

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (nitebird @ Feb 12 2012, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mondeo is using the same Mazda 6 2.0 MZR engine block but with different cylinder head. It has dual VVT camshafts, GDI instead of MPI with added variable geometry turbocharger. Even Turbocharger today get VVT like function update, never treat it as normal turbocharger. Mondeo is tuned up to generate pulling power equivalent to a proper GDI 3.0L engine at 300Nm@4500rpm whereas the Mazda 6 2.5L is a normal engine with proper pulling power at 228Nm@4000rpm. Ford develops own gearbox whereas Mazda gets gearbox from JATCO.

Yes, Mondeo is tech beauty with large roomy interior except the steering is a bit too low if you do not set the telescopic steering to max height. Mazda is real beauty in both interior and exterior. If you wanted me to choose 1 of them, it's a bit hard to me as I like Mondeo's tech but prefer Mazda 6's design and build quality. You go try both kaw kaw, bring minimum 3 full size adults with you to tryout everything.

nap

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

nap

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
QUOTE (nitebird @ Feb 11 2012, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Better late than never.

One of the things that got me pissed about the M6 is the rear seats; they are very uncomfortable. It has all the elements of a great Cat D car. But the rear seats was a disappointment. Also, the rear light cluster is a love-it-or-loathe-it design. It looks very aftermarket to me, when at that price you can get class and performance.

The Mondeo wins hands down in power. The 2012 model for Malaysia, already in port (look at photos from my posts in the Mondeo thread) is 240PS (238HP). Even the previous model was already powerful at 202PS or 200HP. The new car will be a bullet and even BMW325i Sport (218HP) will cry. It is also much more spacious compared to the M6.

If I had to choose, I would go for the Mondeo. Even pitted against the popular Sonata 2.4 (less than 200HP), it excels superbly.

But in the end, its a personal opinion. You may say you don't need all that power anyway. But at M6's price, I would say its a shame that you get a Cat D executive saloon that will be outrun by a competitor without a challenge.

roocarroll

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

roocarroll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
The new Mondeo, better looking with more jazz. No idea when it will reach Malaysia.
http://uk.autoblog.c...ondeo-revealed/

droll

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

droll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts
QUOTE (roocarroll @ Mar 12 2012, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The new Mondeo, better looking with more jazz. No idea when it will reach Malaysia.
http://uk.autoblog.c...ondeo-revealed/

this is my estimate: it'll be on sale in the US at end of this year or early 2013 - see http://www.ford.com/...07m4n0p20120109

the UK usually lags behind the US. and they estimate it takes 1 year. meaning 2014 in the UK.

m'sia usually lags behind europe by about a year also (see the new ford focus spotted at SDAC PJ. SAs and the news around the forums is that it'll only be on sale around end of this year). meaning 2015.

so you're looking at at least 3 years if not more from the time the new mondeo arrives in m'sia. that's also provided it does arrive.

if you can wait that long then do wait. otherwise, get the car now and enjoy it for the next 3 years at least. smile.gif i'm also guessing by then SDAC might not bring in the 2.0L ecoboost variant anymore. the new mondeo (aka fusion) has a 1.6L ecoboost offering (delivering up to 180bhp) and some hybrid drivetrains (imagine the tax breaks if the govt still implements it by then!). if SDAC is smart they will be bringing in those versions instead to reduce the price and with the price reduction they could easily offer more OEM kit out of the box to increase the appeal of the mondeo.

TheGunner

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (nap @ Mar 12 2012, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But in the end, its a personal opinion. You may say you don't need all that power anyway. But at M6's price, I would say its a shame that you get a Cat D executive saloon that will be outrun by a competitor without a challenge.

The consensus between me and a few journalists is that in terms of driving dynamics the Mondeo is so much better than the competition it can sometimes be unfair to compare anything against it.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner