Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

2009 Rondo Stalls In The Morning After Driving 500m

• Please log in to reply

joeylow

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

joeylow

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
Dear all,

I am driving a 2009 asian version rondo with a 2.0 G4KA petrol engine. The car is starting to behave strangely after its warranty period has just lapsed. It stalls during the first 500m of driving in the morning. Most of the time only stalls once but occasionally it stalls around two times. The same scenario also happens sometimes when i park the car for over a couple of hours and starts to drive off. The car starts and drives fine after the stall. I have changed the idling control valve(on the throttle body), cleaned the throttle body, changed the air flow sensor, added ground cables and just yesterday changed the oxygen sensor but the problem still persist. There are no trouble codes with a generic OBD reader. Funny thing is it only happens after driving a few hundred meters from start. It stalls when i slow down and most of the time the engine shakes like the plugs are misfiring when it doesn't stalls. I can feel that it tries to increase the rpm but sometimes it fails to do so and it stalls. I have also changed the plugs but it doesnt help.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Problem is it doesnt happen after i continue to drive the car. It just feels normal after the first one or 2 stalls. Fitting an external valve to open and permit more air to bypass the throttle body during the first few minutes of drive also doesnt help.

I am running out of option and fixes... Can anyone help me out to identify the problem?

My car idles at 600rpm with or without the air cond on. When i start it cold in the morning it idles in neutral at 1krpm with no problem and no stalling. But once i drive a few hundred meters out it goes back to 600rpm idle and the problem starts. It doesnt matter whether if the car is at normal operating temp or not. Same thing happens.

Hardly 3 year old and less than 40k on the Odometer and shit happens... sad.gif might be the first and the last NAZA KIA i will drive...

Could a blocked cat cause this issue? Car only uses one oxygen sensor therefore wont not throw a code if cat is blocked/malfunction.

The problem seems to go away after disconnecting the air flow sensor. But it throws a code after a pretty long drive.

Anyone can recommend a good and patient SC in KL/PJ area. The one in Old Town PJ is hopeless.

Thanks,

Joey Low
joeylow

DIY blog... jlowprojects.blogspot.com (About my Rondo too)

jacst

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

jacst

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
Good car but sux distro.
I guess I'm lucky to be in Pg to have Kia Jns. - a dedicated KIA service center.

joeylow

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

joeylow

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
Can anyone confirm for me...

When the RONDO is in Neutral with Air Cond OFF and throttled to 3Krpm. How much is the drop once i switch on the air cond? I am getting a 1K drop. Which means the rpm drops to 2Krpm.

Is this the same with everyone? There is now a noise coming from the Air Cond Compressor and I am not too sure if it is over loading the engine.

Joey

joeylow

lionelstep

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

lionelstep

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
QUOTE (joeylow @ Jan 24 2012, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone confirm for me...

When the RONDO is in Neutral with Air Cond OFF and throttled to 3Krpm. How much is the drop once i switch on the air cond? I am getting a 1K drop. Which means the rpm drops to 2Krpm.

Is this the same with everyone? There is now a noise coming from the Air Cond Compressor and I am not too sure if it is over loading the engine.

Joey

What noise did you hear from your Air Cond Compressor ? Air Cond Belt noise ? If it is belt noise, there is a possibility the compressor shaft ball bearings are cracked.

setisfai

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

setisfai

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
Joey, sorry to hear about your problem bro.

I can confirm that my Rondo when Neutral is 1K rpm and after on the aircond there was no rpm drop at all.

Mine is same as urs 2009 Rondo with 70K on odo. Check previous thread regarding the aircond compressor bearing cracked which resulted in belting noise.

lionelstep

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

lionelstep

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi Joey,

After studying your very detail description of your problem, which you have actually covered most of the ground and if the problems still exist, a Korean car workshop suggested that you get a scanner that can do data logging (data stream recording). With the data recorded, you will be able to review every sensor step by step to determine what went wrong.

Kevin

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
The 1k rpm drop when you turn on the air-cond sounds like a cause for worry. Could be a failing compressor that is putting strain on the engine.

600rpm at idle also seems a tad low.

joeylow

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

joeylow

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
The air cond compressor sounds like a wrrrrrring somethings like diesel. It maybe the bearing, I am getting it checked out once i am back from my business trip next week, hope it is just a bearing cause the entire compressor is very expensive and a used one will need some customization to fit.

Joey

QUOTE (lionelstep @ Jan 24 2012, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What noise did you hear from your Air Cond Compressor ? Air Cond Belt noise ? If it is belt noise, there is a possibility the compressor shaft ball bearings are cracked.

joeylow

joeylow

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

joeylow

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
Any good Korean Workshop that you can recommend? There is one near my place in Kota D'sara which specializes in Sorentos but do fix a few Rondos on and off...

I have actually done the data logs and I have a OBD scanner myself. Everything looks OK, over the CNY break i made more troubleshooting sessions and found that the CVVT oil control valve if unplugged doesn't give me the stalling problem. Also I checked with a multimeter, when unplugging the air flow sensor the oil control valve doesn't work. Seems the valve is either jammed or doesn't return back to it's original position when opened. I am currently looking at a replacement unit locally. This is my last stand. If it doesn't stop the problem I have to get it fixed at a workshop and just leave it to them.

Joey

QUOTE (lionelstep @ Jan 27 2012, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Joey,

After studying your very detail description of your problem, which you have actually covered most of the ground and if the problems still exist, a Korean car workshop suggested that you get a scanner that can do data logging (data stream recording). With the data recorded, you will be able to review every sensor step by step to determine what went wrong.

joeylow

joeylow

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

joeylow

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
The problem is the very day I got the car it was at 600rpm idle already(after car warms up). I will get my mechanic to disconnect the air cond compressor and see if there is a strain or not... doesn't seem to be easy as the car runs a single belt that drives everything. Maybe my mechanic has some way to tell...

QUOTE (Kevin @ Jan 30 2012, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 1k rpm drop when you turn on the air-cond sounds like a cause for worry. Could be a failing compressor that is putting strain on the engine.

600rpm at idle also seems a tad low.

joeylow