Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Returning Expat - Need Advice

• Please log in to reply

e90

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

e90

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
Its only 1115 in the morning and it has been a hectic start of the week for me but took a short breather to see if you did reply and voila, you did and you amuse me further. Its obvious where you got all your notions from and like what bro madman says, mere rantings of hearsay! Basically extracts from internet here and there that compounded your opinion that Malaysian Diesel=BAD DIESEL!!! You also made comparison of a BMW diesel engine versus a LORRY???? Modern Diesel engine versus older diesel engines????Seriously, give us the link and prove to support your claims that our Diesel will damage our BMW engines. Not jst mere opinions/rantings if not you will jst be wasting everyone's time including the TS (sincere apologies to the TS but we can't jst sit still and let jumpman continue)

I personally know at least a few 530D owners who are all happy with their ride and all these owners are BMW enthusiast who never skim on their maintenance. Never once pass 8000km on their oil change and preventive maintenance is a norm. These 530D owners also contributed to my switch to diesel.

Serious, I think it's a waste of time trying to refute all your claims & opinions. Do continue to live if your world and think that the earth is flat. We rather think its a sphere and willing to take a risk owning a Diesel BMW as long as our pockets allow us to enjoy the thrills of a high torque engine.

To any potential Diesel owners, the following are pros and cons in my opinion in owning a Diesel BMW;
Pros
1) Very high torque engine and @ 380nm, its double or 2 1/2 times more than a normal n/a 2.0L petrol engine
2) Lesser visit to the fuel station. At the moment, I only refuel once every 10 days to 2 weeks as each refuel allows me to cover 700km in city drive and my best record is close to 1100km on extra urban drive
3) Flat out torque from a mere 1750 rpm
4) Early max torque at low rpms which is suitable for city drive
5) In normal KL traffic use, you barely pass 3000rpm even under hard accelaration
6) Diesel engines need not reach high screaming RPMs to deliver the same performance as a petrol engine because of its combustion cycle characteristics
7) Roadtax for a 2.0L Diesel engine is the same as a 2.0L petrol engine
8) You will enjoy more moments of Forces that pushes you to your seat while accelerating. You will be ahead of many cars on the road even those annoying Provos. Couple this with M-Sport suspension and BMW infamous 50/50 weight distribution, we are now fast on straights and deadlier on bends (to any diesel BMW owners, please don't take this as per say and drive with care and always know your tire's condition and the limits of your car. Camber & road condition also has to be right)

Cons
1) Occasionally meet greasy Diesel fuel pumps at a Fuel Station but nothing that a packet of wet wipes can't settle
2) Diesel clatter at idle which is barely audible inside the car but not for the pedestrian standing next to your car. For me, I jst turn on my radio to drown what little audible clatter in the car
3) More frequent need to change your fuel filter
4) The occasional Gray smoke only upon sudden hard acceleration

If any of you think owning a diesel BMW requires additional need for maintenance, so far its been good and only require regular oil change @ 8000km and normal wear and tear which is covered under BSRI. The only items that I have changed are electronic problems specific to the E90 LCI lineup. Its not diesel specific but then again, owning a BMW will always require additional maintenance but I guess this is something that any BMW owners are use to and in return our UDMs provide us plenty of thrills on the road safely.

Edited: Forgot to add that the savings in fuel allows me some spare change to chase my dream in owning a coupe E36. Preferable a 328i. Why petrol this time? Because it's a timeless modern classic and somewhere inside me, I am still a BMW purist because each time i take my dad's 525 out for a quick spin, I will still smile from ear to ear. Too bad that due to world escalating fuel prices, BMW had to start turbo charging their cars, reduce their engine capacity & cylinders from L6 to L4. Haiz!

e90

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

e90

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
Ah Choo & G, congrats to both and enjoy your D as much as we do!

ahcoo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

ahcoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
QUOTE (astroguy74 @ Jan 3 2012, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a friend of mine also took the return expat program. He also got similar 2 nos of CKD tax free cars - but he said for him - can only sell them after 5 yrs; maybe it differs between each ppl.

confirm 2 cars allowed. benefit must be used within 2yrs from date of approval.

how to apply this tax free malarky.... err i am still drilling this.

ahcoo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

ahcoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
QUOTE (e90 @ Jan 9 2012, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah Choo & G, congrats to both and enjoy your D as much as we do!

eh derv driver. i have to be quick, cause i have to walk 15mins to work.

car has been detailed, and my ctdi to be sold. so dont want to use it no more.

so wht derv drive do u guys use and what is mileage u c
locked.

i have done some research on depreciation

toyota fortuner ride for free based on ckd purchase priced and 3 yrs old mudah price.

BUT........... in msia - no one is interested
in india thai and philippines sell like hot cakes.

ckd prices vs. mudah (thus in actual life maybe a bit more)
honda depreciate 30k
c-class depreciate 60k
after 4-5 yrs.

thanks a bunch derv.

my neighbour trade his 320d for a s5 v6 4wd!!!

astroguy74

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

astroguy74

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
QUOTE (ahcoo @ Jan 9 2012, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
confirm 2 cars allowed. benefit must be used within 2yrs from date of approval.

how to apply this tax free malarky.... err i am still drilling this.

yes that is correct-
but you can only sell it after 5 years, otherwise there will be some tax applicable.

this also apply for cars imported under student AP and also cars bought from Labuan and Langkawi,

so for your depreciation calculation - only after 5 years.

ahcoo

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

ahcoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
QUOTE (astroguy74 @ Jan 10 2012, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes that is correct-
but you can only sell it after 5 years, otherwise there will be some tax applicable.

this also apply for cars imported under student AP and also cars bought from Labuan and Langkawi,

so for your depreciation calculation - only after 5 years.

yup thats right.

i managed to get to the stage of "what car to buy"

problem is what car to buy!

aiya......... i want the c class. but i got more sense than cents. ;-(

yes have to keep 5 yrs.

yes. depreciation for me... accord approx 30k, c class approx 60k, toyota fortuner zero to 10k depreciation after 5yrs usage.

too bad forumner suggested vw passat....... but still not ckd yet!

urghhhhh...

MASsenger

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (ahcoo @ Jan 11 2012, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yup thats right.

i managed to get to the stage of "what car to buy"

problem is what car to buy!

aiya......... i want the c class. but i got more sense than cents. ;-(

yes have to keep 5 yrs.

yes. depreciation for me... accord approx 30k, c class approx 60k, toyota fortuner zero to 10k depreciation after 5yrs usage.

too bad forumner suggested vw passat....... but still not ckd yet!

urghhhhh...

Bro why you worry about depreciation when you are getting the car tax free. If after 5 years your Merc value has dropped by 60k, you still ahead. Your tax free is more than 60k. So if you like the Merc go ahead and get it,you'll not get another chance!

The REALdeal

cruzeon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

cruzeon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Feb 3 2012, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro why you worry about depreciation when you are getting the car tax free. If after 5 years your Merc value has dropped by 60k, you still ahead. Your tax free is more than 60k. So if you like the Merc go ahead and get it,you'll not get another chance!

maybe he is thinking of making money in tax savings, lol

ahcoo

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

ahcoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Feb 3 2012, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

eh MASsenger. Sure boh?

I thought 5 yrs old C class 140k.

Yes Tax free: 200k purchase price.

OTR: 280k

bro, u c:

http://www.mudah.my/...00-13511665.htm

check check and see the resale value.... valid huh? if yes, happy days.... send marnie back. buy...

ahcoo

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

ahcoo

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
QUOTE (cruzeon @ Feb 3 2012, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe he is thinking of making money in tax savings, lol

that was one of the idea. but maybe not.

nolar. i have use money to feed the bank ;-)

in turn bank feed me ;-)

i have not est. my cost of living yet. thus.......... i scared lemas terus once i buy the c-class.

but if what MASengger said is true particularly the resale value price. then no need to consider, just buy!