Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Returning Expat - Need Advice

• Please log in to reply

goks

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

goks

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts
Dear UDM'ers,

I am a malaysian living abroad planning to head back soon under the returning expat program. Last week i have been strolling around Quill itching to decide which car i would invest on, given i get 2 CKD cars tax free. The salesmen were polite and shared with me the prices for the tax free cars.

Question to you all:

1) Given i have 2 approvals, does it make sence to buy 2 cars and sell 1 after 2 years? The permit has a restriction of 2 years before selling. I was thinking of 2x520d ...given new one is 330K, what would you think will be the price after 2 years?

2) What are your views on the X1 2.0 D? How will that fare in 2 years?

3) Diesel in general. I have been reading some of your debates. However, my uncle had a E90 3.0D and he has been having never ending problems with the car for the many years he owned it. It become so critical, he had to sell the car few months back for a meager 110K and replaced it with a new 528M. The BMW sales person did say the older 530D's where not having local converters for the Diesel like the new generation 520D. Anycase, i am more inclined for Diesels for the power and also the 520D is pretty cheap tax free comparable.

One more weired thing i noticed, the price diff between 523 and 528 tax free is only 20K which is weired as BMW malaysia has a much bigger price different OTR with tax.

Your advice is appreciated.
G

astroguy74

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

astroguy74

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
QUOTE (goks @ Jan 2 2012, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear UDM'ers,

I am a malaysian living abroad planning to head back soon under the returning expat program. Last week i have been strolling around Quill itching to decide which car i would invest on, given i get 2 CKD cars tax free. The salesmen were polite and shared with me the prices for the tax free cars.

Question to you all:

1) Given i have 2 approvals, does it make sence to buy 2 cars and sell 1 after 2 years? The permit has a restriction of 2 years before selling. I was thinking of 2x520d ...given new one is 330K, what would you think will be the price after 2 years?

3) Diesel in general. I have been reading some of your debates. However, my uncle had a E90 3.0D and he has been having never ending problems with the car for the many years he owned it. It become so critical, he had to sell the car few months back for a meager 110K and replaced it with a new 528M. The BMW sales person did say the older 530D's where not having local converters for the Diesel like the new generation 520D. Anycase, i am more inclined for Diesels for the power and also the 520D is pretty cheap tax free comparable.

One more weired thing i noticed, the price diff between 523 and 528 tax free is only 20K which is weired as BMW malaysia has a much bigger price different OTR with tax.

G

a friend of mine also took the return expat program. He also got similar 2 nos of CKD tax free cars - but he said for him - can only sell them after 5 yrs; maybe it differs between each ppl.

Jumpman23

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Jumpman23

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
QUOTE (goks @ Jan 2 2012, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear UDM'ers,

Question to you all:

G

Malaysia Diesel is not very good compare to Thailand Diesel. It will damage the car engine, please do a proper survey only feasible Malaysia Diesel.

madman1188

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

madman1188

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
QUOTE (Jumpman23 @ Jan 5 2012, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Malaysia Diesel is not very good compare to Thailand Diesel. It will damage the car engine, please do a proper survey only feasible Malaysia Diesel.

bro Jumpman, its safe to say that our local diesel is of poorer quality than our neighbours....
your comments especially the part where our Diesel will damage the car engine, are based on which report?
care to extend a copy/link to that report/article/survey... coz I m keen to know..
or is this another he say/she say/abang says/kakak says/uncle say/auntie say kinda news?
madman - as mad as ever

e90

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

e90

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
QUOTE (madman1188 @ Jan 5 2012, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bro Jumpman, its safe to say that our local diesel is of poorer quality than our neighbours....
your comments especially the part where our Diesel will damage the car engine, are based on which report?
care to extend a copy/link to that report/article/survey... coz I m keen to know..
or is this another he say/she say/abang says/kakak says/uncle say/auntie say kinda news?

Seriously, there is jst no end to this! Jumpman, do share because I am extremely interested to know so that I can decide to hold or sell my 320d

Jumpman23

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

Jumpman23

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
If you do a survey on BMW diesel, not many import these diesel car, Proton also attempt to sell diesel car but it end up winding the project ever wonder why.

Because they have no plan to revise the diesel quality the pace is slow, the progression is very slow, only in big city or few selected kiosk they offered 5M diesel, having said that what if you visit some small town where you can't find quality diesel, your engine will goes kaput, and you will have to wait till they find a qualified technician to attend to your problem. It is basically wasting a lot of money and yet time wasted are more critical than money, as you don't have the car when you need them the most. So you will then regret and cry like a baby.

So, please make sure you don't get diesel not feasible for long run. Or you can join these people in Bersih, hopefully there will be reform in many areas.

Not many service center technician know how to fix a diesel car because 90% of local car are not running on diesel. You don't need a statistic just need a local to help you with the survey.

Observe the diesel pump at petrol kiosk, there are only 2 available mostly for truck, lorries, van.

You don't want to wait a lorry for your turn right?

Visit Paultan.org this piece of news will be valuable

It was supposed to be 2012, but it looks like we won’t be getting Euro 4 or Euro 5 grade diesel next year after all. This is because the government has given petroleum companies a two-year extension to the original deadline to offer better quality fuel. They now have until 2014 to roll out Euro 4 fuel.
This was revealed by Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha, who said that the oil companies requested for a later date, claiming that they weren’t ready to upgrade. “The industry has, however requested for an extension, saying that it was not ready to make the change.
“Although the government has agreed to the extension, the delay is ultimately hindering the progress of diesel usage in the country. In Europe, about 70% of new vehicles run on the higher grades of diesel,” Kong added, reminding us of what we’re missing out.
So it looks like Malaysia will continue to remain as a laggard in fuel quality, even as our neighbours and supposedly less sophisticated markets like India and China move up to better stuff. As the world moves on, it will become even harder and not worthwhile for manufacturers to “custom make” and dumb down engines to suit our Euro 2M pumps. Sad news, for both car enthusiasts and the environment.

Don't forget Malaysia is a beautiful place and many things you can do, but many silly things also can happen like cow can live in condo. And the classic case also can happen like the below picture.

The point is, Lingam case enlighten anyone who wanted to live in Malaysia, the diesel might look like a diesel, sound like a diesel but it is not a diesel which is sustainable. So think carefully before you regret.

kenso

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

kenso

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts
Erm .... all I read is comments about diesel, not about problematic diesel BMWs.

madman1188

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

madman1188

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
OH NO!!!!! GONNA START PUTTING AN AD FOR MY D!!! LOL!

Bro Jumpman, dont want to requote your post... damn long winded... all talking about diesel quality.....
then you go quoting paultan summore...... we all know that diesel in bolehland is of poorer quali as compared to our neighbours.... furthermore paultan's article is on the bolehland issue on delaying the diesel upgrade.... mana got "damaging the engine?" if i m not wrong (pls do correct me if I m wrong), paultan also driving a diesel..... hmmmmm.....
on your concern about filling together with lorries, vans, etc, well no issues whatsoever coz i only visit the stations once every 2 weeks! tankload runs up to 800kms..... more on the highway.... having 2 kiosks is for economies of scale, coz why put more when diesel owners don't refill their cars so often as compared to petrol?? think about that...
BTW, dunno where u at, but all stations in KL has the diesel pump side by side with the petrol.... usually only 1 designated diesel on its own for trucks/lorries/vans..... so even if you are filling in petrol, chances of having a truck next to you is still there... so how??

u r not answering my question...
I specifically asked about the part where you mention " It will damage the car engine, please do a proper survey only feasible Malaysia Diesel." need source of info on that claim... coz I need it to shoot down BMW Malaysia coz remember some1 telling me local diesel wont harm the engine.....
as per my initial comment, is this all hear say? or did your source did not bother to conduct proper servicing (or worst still send to some 2-bit workshop) due to cost management (and not engine management) and lay claim that the diesel kaputed the engine?
I personally welcome C&C so that i can watch out for whatever gremlins that exists....
PLEASSSSSEEEEEEE do enlighten me!!

p/s: FYI BERSIH is for fair electorial reform...... dunno how it can be linked to diesel quality and engine kaput due to diesel quality.. or maybe u r linking it with new gomen, new policy, so new diesel quali izzit?? wah... link like that, until cows come home also kenot finish woh.... wait a minute...... where u at got cows gone home woh!!! Joking aside, I think you have an issue with the gomen of bolehland, pls take it elsewhere...

QUOTE (kenso @ Jan 6 2012, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erm .... all I read is comments about diesel, not about problematic diesel BMWs.

thank you.... precisely my point...
madman - as mad as ever

e90

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

e90

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
Jumpman,

First and foremost, proton shelfed their diesel project probably 10 years ago. Technology improves tremendously from year to year so in a decade, d diesel technology has improved by leaps and bounds. Today, you rarely see new diesel cars spewing black smoke. Turbo lag is also almost non existance. Apart from the diesel clatter at idle, I cant tell apart a petrol car from a diesel car while on the move.

Seriously the picture you shown is probably from some really "ulu ulu" place. All the petrol stations that I visit during my 1 year plus of owning a 320d is never like that and I do travel to most parts of peninsular malaysia including the east coast. Most times, I fuel up like normal cars do. Jst pick the black nozzle instead of the red/green or was it yellow for Ron97. The only time I had to queue up with the lorry drivers was in Ayer Keroh R&R. No diesel pumps next to petrol pumps. All the other petrol drivers watched me queing up and gave me a big laugh. Later those who laughed could not even keep up with me even on straight roads (a group-I presumed friends tried and I left them trailing behind with just half trottle). Now, each time i travel outstation, I make sure I fuel up to the brim. One full tank is sufficient for a full journey. Was in Singapore over the Xmas. Came back to KL with a 1/4 tank left covering more than 800km. Thats 3/4 of a 60L full tank for 800KM. Let me see your petrol car do that (and i was travelling no where near our legal highway speed)!

On your quote from Paul Tan, he is only talking about the delay in migrating to Euro 4 or 5. Nothing on effects of our Diesel on our cars. Furthermore, he is a proud owner of a 520d. Go tell him how bad is his choice and I am sure you will get more than jst a slap on your wrist.

(FYI, my fuel bill on my previous ride E36-318i was RM600-800 per month. Currently running around RM200-300 per month on my D)

Bro Madman: High 5!!!

br1

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (e90 @ Jan 6 2012, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jumpman,

First and foremost, proton shelfed their diesel project probably 10 years ago. Technology improves tremendously from year to year so in a decade, d diesel technology has improved by leaps and bounds. Today, you rarely see new diesel cars spewing black smoke. Turbo lag is also almost non existance. Apart from the diesel clatter at idle, I cant tell apart a petrol car from a diesel car while on the move.

Seriously the picture you shown is probably from some really "ulu ulu" place. All the petrol stations that I visit during my 1 year plus of owning a 320d is never like that and I do travel to most parts of peninsular malaysia including the east coast. Most times, I fuel up like normal cars do. Jst pick the black nozzle instead of the red/green or was it yellow for Ron97. The only time I had to queue up with the lorry drivers was in Ayer Keroh R&R. No diesel pumps next to petrol pumps. All the other petrol drivers watched me queing up and gave me a big laugh. Later those who laughed could not even keep up with me even on straight roads (a group-I presumed friends tried and I left them trailing behind with just half trottle). Now, each time i travel outstation, I make sure I fuel up to the brim. One full tank is sufficient for a full journey. Was in Singapore over the Xmas. Came back to KL with a 1/4 tank left covering more than 800km. Thats 3/4 of a 60L full tank for 800KM. Let me see your petrol car do that (and i was travelling no where near our legal highway speed)!

On your quote from Paul Tan, he is only talking about the delay in migrating to Euro 4 or 5. Nothing on effects of our Diesel on our cars. Furthermore, he is a proud owner of a 520d. Go tell him how bad is his choice and I am sure you will get more than jst a slap on your wrist.

(FYI, my fuel bill on my previous ride E36-318i was RM600-800 per month. Currently running around RM200-300 per month on my D)

Bro Madman: High 5!!!

Agreed ! Once on diesel, never back to petrol again especially if you need a bigger size car or SUV. just imagine a modern 2.0 turbo charged diesel engine pulling a 2 tons suv with its high hp and torque a low rpm, and doing 120-160 with rpm at only 2.2 to 2.5k below 3k rpm. and a full tank for so much more mileage. and what e90 said is true!!!
Later those who laughed could not even keep up with me even on straight roads (a group-I presumed friends tried and I left them trailing behind with just half trottle). win already on the pickup and accending hill especially , no need to downshift even!