Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Safe And Effective Watermark Removal

• Please log in to reply

eohl79

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 4 2012, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good write up..... smile_thumbup.gif

You can check with Henry, I remember Osren have the acid base glass cleaner also.

For interior with tint, I am now using DG glass cleaner....... smile_tongue.gif

Yup, they have the acid based cleaner but after consulting them they said better don't use it. Old car have plenty of pits, scratches, etc on glass surface. Acid based cleaner not suitable. That's why the topic is "Safe and effective watermark removal". Don't need to standby water to quickly wash off etc. Want a solution the easy way where even a noob can do it. Just that my method cost a bit more $$$. BTW the Osren acid watermark cleaner is in a big bottle and quite cheap also. I think cheaper than the Forma Hero, etc for the volume.

I might want to experiment on the other glass with RB+velvet or denim spot buff pad using a paste of the abrasive (mix ownself) or maybe P40...

vr2turbo

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
Nowadays I will try Glass Polish, if not scratch X and still cannot then I will acid.
I have acid my VR window all round before, as those times don't have anything to remove it. I even tried rubbing compound and it does not come off. Car that time bought 2nd hand and left for years in Rain and shine..... smile_tongue.gif

eohl79

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
Bro Henry mentioned not to use acid especially on wiper area. Acid can seep into the crevices of the scratch and cause more problems. Not really visible if never do any inspection with LED lights. That's why need to try to avoid acid on front and rear windscreen if have wiper. Take note, pics taken after watermark removal.

Figure 1: Rear wind screen with wiper scratch marks

Figure 2: Zoom in of scratches from wiper

g88

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:55 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
i just did over the weekend on my old junk...rotary with ScratchX and ScratchX + Autosol on my old junk mirror and winscreen....the glass were really 'clean' after few passes @ around 600rpm (max 900rpm)...there was no beading after that...then i re-apply Rain-X and let it cure for about 20-30 mins before buff off...now the beading is back and look cun smile.gif

Can't really tell before rotary my winscreen got fine swirl/scratches or not (coz its old edi, i dun bother to check with LED etc...as long it bead...got watermark also nevermind)...but after clean, i do see some fine swirl under reflection inspection...(well takpe as long its really clean + no watermark now....)...+ i am happy

eohl79

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Jan 4 2012, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i just did over the weekend on my old junk...rotary with ScratchX and ScratchX + Autosol on my old junk mirror and winscreen....the glass were really 'clean' after few passes @ around 600rpm (max 900rpm)...there was no beading after that...then i re-apply Rain-X and let it cure for about 20-30 mins before buff off...now the beading is back and look cun smile.gif

Can't really tell before rotary my winscreen got fine swirl/scratches or not (coz its old edi, i dun bother to check with LED etc...as long it bead...got watermark also nevermind)...but after clean, i do see some fine swirl under reflection inspection...(well takpe as long its really clean + no watermark now....)...+ i am happy

smile_thumbup.gif good for you. You use 4 ply wool + autosol + scratchX?

I did try Opti Compound II with PFW (no 4-ply wool in my arsenal yet) and RB on my rear windscreen before (tempered glass). Went all the way up to 1500 rpm and back down. No visible watermarks and looks clean (not under inspection lights). Later on did see water streaks coming back after rain but no watermark spot. So looks like mine etched deeper. AFter the sanding, did not see any streakmark etching anymore. Will see how it goes... not raining these few day, very hot.

g88

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ Jan 5 2012, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile_thumbup.gif good for you. You use 4 ply wool + autosol + scratchX?

I did try Opti Compound II with PFW (no 4-ply wool in my arsenal yet) and RB on my rear windscreen before (tempered glass). Went all the way up to 1500 rpm and back down. No visible watermarks and looks clean (not under inspection lights). Later on did see water streaks coming back after rain but no watermark spot. So looks like mine etched deeper. AFter the sanding, did not see any streakmark etching anymore. Will see how it goes... not raining these few day, very hot.

i dun go so aggressive, only use foam pad ....

now everyday i touch the screen also feel so slicky biggrin.gif....(covering dust also)..i will wash the car maybe tomorrow night...sure will see water beading like mad biggrin.gif

2420l

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

2420l

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 631 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ Jan 4 2012, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro Henry mentioned not to use acid especially on wiper area. Acid can seep into the crevices of the scratch and cause more problems. Not really visible if never do any inspection with LED lights. That's why need to try to avoid acid on front and rear windscreen if have wiper. Take note, pics taken after watermark removal.

Figure 1: Rear wind screen with wiper scratch marks

Figure 2: Zoom in of scratches from wiper

we both have the same scratches on windscreen..

vr2turbo

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
I normally ROB with LC white, using glass polish. Not strong enough, then scratch X.
Finish with glass cleaners, then either Rain X other brand or DG Rain Repel..... smile_tongue.gif

g88

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
i got Gtechniq Glass coating recently tot to use it on my old junk glasses but after polish and clean it..i didn't use it...think its not worth to invest so expensive product on such old car wink.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Jan 6 2012, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got Gtechniq Glass coating recently tot to use it on my old junk glasses but after polish and clean it..i didn't use it...think its not worth to invest so expensive product on such old car wink.gif

You already have it, why not use it? or getting new car?