Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Safe And Effective Watermark Removal

• Please log in to reply

jackson

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

jackson

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
Awesome writeup, review, pics dude! smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

from one OSREN fanatic to another smile_cool.gif

among other products in our arsenal la...

It's easy when you know how...

1800Optra

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

1800Optra

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts
great write up eohl.

My 2 cents.

Abrasive based watermark removal steps are effective, but be careful as it will leave scratches on the glass.
I've seen the same thing with soft99 Glass Z.

I would go with glass polishing liquid first before getting the sand paper out. Or even the Glass Z, the Glass Z liquid is feels very gritty and that attributes to the glass scratches.

Steady but not slow

eohl79

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
Thanks for the support guys.

I was using the recommended 3M sanding pad which has a grit of between 1200-1500. It holds water due to the sponge backing which is good for wet sanding the glass. The medium firm texture of the sponge also helps to hold the abrasive powder to a certain extent when compared to a regular paper sand paper with a foam backing. How abrasive you want the sanding process to be depends on how much water you spray on the sponge. So you can control the aggressiveness by spraying more water on the sponge. I try to maintain a consistent pad pressure, use less water initially then spray more water on the back of the pad (where you place your hand and not where the abrasive is, without lifting the pad) after a couple of passes. Have not use Glass-Z or other products before. I am willing to spare some of my powder abrasive in exchange if somebody has it and willing to swap... Really happy that I got it right the first time with no fancy machine, buffing pads, etc.

Confirmed with bro Henry yesterday. No Cerium Oxide in that powder. It is made up of mineral abrasives. The powder does not feel gritty when rubbing it between by fingers.

Will do some reading first before attempting any correction on laminated glass - front windscreen.

vx55

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

vx55

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts
Good work and write up on the glass man! smile_thumbup.gif

vios5300

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

vios5300

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Good Work and write up Bro eohl79...

arch5069

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

arch5069

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
have been using household window cleaner albeit the non ammonia kind. Is those cleaners safe? I was at 99 the other day, and overheard the sales guy telling a customer that it's not advisable to use newsprint to clean the car windows.Is there any truth to that?

eohl79

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (arch5069 @ Jan 4 2012, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have been using household window cleaner albeit the non ammonia kind. Is those cleaners safe? I was at 99 the other day, and overheard the sales guy telling a customer that it's not advisable to use newsprint to clean the car windows.Is there any truth to that?

Household window cleaner should be safe on glass. Glass is inert to most chemicals. Actually mild acid (vinegar aka acetic acid), ammonia, etc works great on glass without problems. Problem here is the rubber and plastic trims. Ammonia will deteriorate and react to the rubber/plastic trims. Most cleaners come in a spray bottle and a little bit difficult to control the spray pattern and very likely to have the chemical runoffs coming in contact with the rubber/plastics and paintwork. I always use ONR and a wooly MF to do glass wipe down, safe/easy to use, encapsulates any dirt and does not scratch the glass. Wipe off ONR excess with chamois then buff dry with a clean short nap MF. Newspaper works fine only if the glass surface has very light dirt particles or stain and must be free of any gritty contaminant that could scratch the glass surface. There is little or no space between the newspaper fibers to hold those gritty dirt. It gives a nice clean streak free finish actually but there is a technique to effectively use newspaper for glass cleaning. Avoid using those full color pages or pages with just too much ink.

The glass interior has to be handled with care especially if it is tinted. Need a tint safe cleaner. That is why I use ONR wash for both glass exterior and interior. Newspaper does not work well on tint - my experience.

eohl79

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
Last night, I went to check the 3M sanding pad and compare it to a new unused pad. It looks like the abrasive surface has lost its cut quite a bit after using it on one passenger window and rear hatch windscreen. Not sure if it has the edge to do the other windows though... smile_blackeye.gif

jackson

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

jackson

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ Jan 4 2012, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The glass interior has to be handled with care especially if it is tinted. Need a tint safe cleaner. That is why I use ONR wash for both glass exterior and interior. Newspaper does not work well on tint - my experience.

fully agree on this. newspaper cleaning on windows with tint is a big no no. otherwise safe and effective to use if used properly as what eohl has mentioned above.
It's easy when you know how...

vr2turbo

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
Good write up..... smile_thumbup.gif

You can check with Henry, I remember Osren have the acid base glass cleaner also.

For interior with tint, I am now using DG glass cleaner....... smile_tongue.gif