Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Yokohama Advan Db V551

• Please log in to reply

richard912

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

richard912

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 923 posts
Very DEEP longkangs smile_thumbup.gif

ntc2000

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (ymchong @ Jan 1 2012, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a few more photos to share, more on the longkangs smile_tongue.gif

u are poisoning me ler...

*quickly logout b4 kena poison too deep...*

ymchong

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

ymchong

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
QUOTE (richard912 @ Jan 1 2012, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very DEEP longkangs smile_thumbup.gif

bro richard, so when is your turn to change your tyres to v551? 1.gif
after taking up all the poisons from desmond of kl auto, about time for you to put on these new tyres to make your ride even better smile.gif

ymchong

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

ymchong

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
QUOTE (ntc2000 @ Jan 1 2012, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
u are poisoning me ler...

*quickly logout b4 kena poison too deep...*

your rexona cfe-cvt is calling you already...."please change tyres" smile_tongue.gif

ymchong

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

ymchong

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
let's see whether i am able to link the the advertisement for v551 from my photobucket on this thread......

bpguan

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

bpguan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
btw,available for which size of tyre?start from 15"?

so4chai

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

so4chai

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
Might consider this tyre. How is the rating n treadwear on this tyre?

ymchong

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

ymchong

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
QUOTE (bpguan @ Jan 1 2012, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
btw,available for which size of tyre?start from 15"?

QUOTE (so4chai @ Jan 1 2012, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might consider this tyre. How is the rating n treadwear on this tyre?

based on yokohama global website, the sizes that are available for v551 ranges from 14" to 20"
but the distributor YHI does not bring in a lot of sizes to the malaysian market. so it is best to check with the tyre shops on what sizes are available

http://global.yokoha...asiaoceania.pdf

unfortunately i can't find any utqg information for this tyre. hopefully other forumers can provide more details on this.

Coffee

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

Coffee

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
QUOTE (ymchong @ Dec 31 2011, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ bro coffee, excellent write-up on the v551. so much details smile_thumbup.gif
looks like what i felt when using the v551 is very similar to what you experienced. that's definitely a good thing smile.gif

by the way bro coffee, do you mind if i copy your 2 write-ups from the sonata thread into this thread. it is extremely useful information. at least (i hope) it won't get lost in transition in the sonata thread which is extremely active smile_tongue.gif

@ bro charger, time to change your tyres to v551 tongue.gif

Ha ha bro ym chong, glad our finding are the same.
I really am happy with the tyres even till now, though the wear rate is a little faster than others. Dont think it can last more than 40k of use though. I usually rotate every 10k and change my tyres around 30k to be safe, so the wear rate is not an issue to me. But because the compound is quite soft, must take extra care of it.

As for those write-ups, just port the link here will do, no need to ma fan smile_big.gif here it is again:
http://forum.autowor...h...8205&st=960

Do continue to post your sharing as the miles roll by. smile_cool.gif
You're Never Alone When You've Got Your Coffee.

vr2turbo

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,466 posts
QUOTE (chargerguy @ Dec 30 2011, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ymchoong,

As a matter of fact, I think V551 is the successor for V550. I was the hardcore user for V550 many years ago on my Camry and I have my all thumbs up that time. If I remember correctly, it was Yoko AVS V550 under AVS category which also emphasize premium comfort, quiet as well as AVS handling.

Then, they change to ES500 but down the road, they discontinue the V550. And then come the ES501 which is the successor for ES500.The ES DB range should be premium comfort with low noise.

The current V551 is under ADVAN( previously known as AVS) category so should replace the AVS V550 previously. Hopefully it will be premium comfort, quiet as well as good handling. However, dry should be improve by the ADVAN technology but then wet or aquaplanning resistant is still a ??? Thats why need Sifu Uncle Chew to give further comment... smile_big.gif

1 lingam cent oni..smile.gif

Cheers

Why you still call me sifu ah? You are one yourself.... smile_big.gif That is a very good write up on the Yoko Advan history.
Yup, AVS was the Advance Vehicle System as they called it those days. They even have the AVS Dry, Wet and Intermediate pattern. The pattern were quite similar, only the dry have more rubber less longkang as in F1 tyres, Wet, the longkang were huge and Intermediate was half way. As you know I prefer the Inter so can use in both wet and dry.
Yoko had 2 camps that time and the other camp was the Yoko Motor sports group, dishing out tyres of the A and ES ranges.
Yup, back to V551, yes actually successor to the directional V550.
The Advan performance tyres are the V103 and AD-08