Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Chevy Aveo 1.5 Sohc - Timing Belt

• Please log in to reply

djlcs

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

djlcs

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Dear all

My Chevy Aveo 1.5 suffered a timing belt failure 2 days ago. The belt was not snapped but the "teeth" had gotten "sliced" off.

Towed it to the service centre and expected the worse....but to my happy suprise, the engine was not damaged at all and now the engine is infact smoother than before the break. smile_approve.gif

Just wondering, is the Aveo's 1.5 SOHC E-Tec II engine the Non-interference type, where in the event of a timing belt failure it will not damaged the valves etc, or the Interference type, where the valves would be kaput.

Any sifus out there knows the answer?

Thx

goldenblue

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

goldenblue

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
how much it cost u for the timing belt?

alphawolf

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

alphawolf

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
QUOTE (goldenblue @ Mar 7 2012, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how much it cost u for the timing belt?

Hmmm...around RM300+ for a Saiko brand with 100,000 mile warranty..

fernandobu

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

fernandobu

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
Scary is it? I had this experience once, I was too lazy to take the car to the dealership for tune up. I was a first time car owner owning a second hand car I never knew that the timing belt needed replacement. Thank goodness nothing serious happened to my engine when my timing belt snapped.
Driving in green
see available autoparts

alphawolf

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

alphawolf

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
QUOTE (fernandobu @ Jun 21 2012, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scary is it? I had this experience once, I was too lazy to take the car to the dealership for tune up. I was a first time car owner owning a second hand car I never knew that the timing belt needed replacement. Thank goodness nothing serious happened to my engine when my timing belt snapped.

ohh...yeah man, that still brings me the chill smile_cry.gif Since your timing belt had gone kaput and your engine still a-ok, then i guess our engines are really those "non-intefering" types biggrin.gif . Good lah, but to be on the safe side, i'll change my timing belts every 50,000 kms...