Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Windshield Insurance Necessary Evil?

• Please log in to reply

cbsteh

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
Is it worth buying insurance for broken car windshields? In my 20 years of driving, I only suffered three broken windhshields, twice due to stones while driving and one due to heat.

Newkelisa

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Dec 11 2011, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it worth buying insurance for broken car windshields? In my 20 years of driving, I only suffered three broken windhshields, twice due to stones while driving and one due to heat.

Good question.

I (not nearly ehmm 20 yrs yet) till now no broken windshields - touchwood biggrin.gif . Small tiny chips yes but not so obvious.

For the first 10 years of my driving experience my car was not insured for the windshield. Only situation could have used it was when I sent the a car for repainting and the shop said they can also change the windshield and claim it from insurance. The windshield had one small chip. But at the time no windshield insurance for that car. It was an old car paying insurance less than RM150 a year. I was a very cheap guy then ha ha .. 059.gif

The extra cost is not much. Depends on how expensive the windshield is for your car I guess? And how tough your windscreen is?

Now all my cars have windshield insurance as theirs windshield are so expensive.

If ask insurance co. of course they will recommend as more business for them.

Would be interested to know what other people think.

br1

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Dec 11 2011, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good question.

I (not nearly ehmm 20 yrs yet) till now no broken windshields - touchwood biggrin.gif . Small tiny chips yes but not so obvious.

For the first 10 years of my driving experience my car was not insured for the windshield. Only situation could have used it was when I sent the a car for repainting and the shop said they can also change the windshield and claim it from insurance. The windshield had one small chip. But at the time no windshield insurance for that car. It was an old car paying insurance less than RM150 a year. I was a very cheap guy then ha ha .. 059.gif

The extra cost is not much. Depends on how expensive the windshield is for your car I guess? And how tough your windscreen is?

Now all my cars have windshield insurance as theirs windshield are so expensive.

If ask insurance co. of course they will recommend as more business for them.

Would be interested to know what other people think.

Depends on what cars, if old car and its windscreen are cheap, no need to buy and can still foot the repair bill urself, if broken.

But now the new car windscreens will be very much expensive - easily from 2-5k so better dont take the risks, just pay 15% for it and let the insurance take care of the risks. Just my 2 cts

vr2turbo

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,464 posts
If tempered glass then better buy, because when break, it shatters.
If laminated then normally it will crack, so use until renew insurance time, then cover and of course claim a few months later...ha! ha! But once buy already must continue if not they will know..... smile_tongue.gif
All my cars are covered.....

kcyang

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

kcyang

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Dec 14 2011, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If laminated then normally it will crack, so use until renew insurance time, then cover and of course claim a few months later...ha! ha! But once buy already must continue if not they will know..... smile_tongue.gif

Correct me if i'm wrong. Majority new cars come with sensor that is attached to the windscreen. I ask around if the sensor can be re-used if the windscreen koyak and most of them answer no. So need to insure at higher value to cover the sensor wor...

vr2turbo

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,464 posts
What sensors? At the moment you can cover the tint too...... smile_tongue.gif

kcyang

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

kcyang

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Dec 15 2011, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What sensors? At the moment you can cover the tint too...... smile_tongue.gif

Light & rain sensor smile_tongue.gif

br1

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Dec 14 2011, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya, many plp also teach me this but I covered from new day 1.

br1

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (kcyang @ Dec 15 2011, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Light & rain sensor smile_tongue.gif

for mine the light sensor on the dashboard, and I think the rain sensor is a separate part and can be taken off from the broken screen and installed back to new screen, dont know yet have to recheck.

acheong7

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

acheong7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
yes it is, given the ever increasing new tech/toys/bling installed in higher end vehicles

wira/iswara rmxxx
latio rm1xxx (light sensor for 1.8 only, on dash - no rain sensor)
grand scenic rm1xxx-3xxx (light and rain sensor)
grand picasso rm12k (light and rain sensor)
mebbe other kakis can fill in for the beemers, mercs, huyndais, kias, toyotas, hondas, etc

don't have that much spare cash available for such repairs