Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Honda Cvt Gearbox Problem!

• Please log in to reply

mychai

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

mychai

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
Hi all,
I have a Honda Jazz Vtec 2006, I am encounter the gearbox jerking problem... went to SC, come out with some problems that cost me a lot. They advise me to change few items, but also don't know it will help or not?
1. The start gear,
2. Manifold intake,
3. Fly wheel.
4. The worst case, the Gear Box (20k++)
5. EGV intake valve (already change, no improvement)
Is there anyone have the same problem?
It happens in morning or the engine is still cool. Stop in car while still in D position, the rpm suddenly drop to very low, 0.3 I think, and if you push the acceleration, it won't move, also there is a loudly knocking sound, and the car is jerking heavily, like someone hit you from behind....
Please advise.

chai

whitestorm

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

whitestorm

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
QUOTE (mychai @ Nov 2 2011, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,
I have a Honda Jazz Vtec 2006, I am encounter the gearbox jerking problem... went to SC, come out with some problems that cost me a lot. They advise me to change few items, but also don't know it will help or not?
1. The start gear,
2. Manifold intake,
3. Fly wheel.
4. The worst case, the Gear Box (20k++)
5. EGV intake valve (already change, no improvement)
Is there anyone have the same problem?
It happens in morning or the engine is still cool. Stop in car while still in D position, the rpm suddenly drop to very low, 0.3 I think, and if you push the acceleration, it won't move, also there is a loudly knocking sound, and the car is jerking heavily, like someone hit you from behind....
Please advise.

chai

I used to own a Honda Jazz which had the same issues with the CVT gearbox. Sent it back to SC and after a full check, the gearbox had to be changed. I was told that a new gearbox is 20K as well. And to top it all off, the SC guys told me it was a common issue with the CVT gearbox in the City & Jazz that time.

You could try refurbishing the gearbox but I'm notnsure if it will last. Mine was already 7yrs old and had 125k mileage on it.
Thus I ended up selling the car and bought a new one.

couzy

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

couzy

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
Mine was a Honda Jazz year 2004.
Car keep jerking once a while even while driving on straight highway roads.
Whenever turn and exit a corner, accelerating will cause it to jerk (yes, got it.. every single time without fail for my case).

I went out and did the following:
1. Major service (inclusive of changing spark plugs, fuel filter, CVT oil, engine oil/filter)
2. Serviced throttle body and intake manifold.
3. Pump RON97 fuel.
4. Checked spark plug cables.
5. Changed new battery.
6. Recalibrated CVT gearbox.
7. Updated ECU software.

None of these work. Went to 3 different SCs and confirmed is gb problem.
Total cost RM20K++.
Some said it's start clutch problem but I ended up selling the car.

mychai

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

mychai

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
Hi Whitestorm, Couzy,
Well, I did the same thing as Couzy did, and it also didn't improve.
My condition is happen in the morning, and in the rainning day, so I think it could be the cold weather... But the SC said it will not be affected by the weather or the engine is cold...
The SC told me that replacing the GB will be easy, off course not the brand new one, I am thinking of the recond one, and they will check for me the price and the labour cost.
I like this car so much, CVT GB more fuel efficient and more smooth, but so sad it has the commons problems that I think most of the city/jazz owner facing.
Is there someone already fix the problems? How to fix?

couzy

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

couzy

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
QUOTE (mychai @ Nov 3 2011, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Whitestorm, Couzy,
Well, I did the same thing as Couzy did, and it also didn't improve.
My condition is happen in the morning, and in the rainning day, so I think it could be the cold weather... But the SC said it will not be affected by the weather or the engine is cold...
The SC told me that replacing the GB will be easy, off course not the brand new one, I am thinking of the recond one, and they will check for me the price and the labour cost.
I like this car so much, CVT GB more fuel efficient and more smooth, but so sad it has the commons problems that I think most of the city/jazz owner facing.
Is there someone already fix the problems? How to fix?

I did asked the chop shop before at Mun Lee, Puchong.
Gearbox - RM2K (Need to trade in your old gearbox)
Labour - RM400

Total - RM2.4K

For this gearbox, I did asked other chop shops also and one quoted RM1.8K

mychai

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

mychai

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
QUOTE (couzy @ Nov 3 2011, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did asked the chop shop before at Mun Lee, Puchong.
Gearbox - RM2K (Need to trade in your old gearbox)
Labour - RM400

Total - RM2.4K

For this gearbox, I did asked other chop shops also and one quoted RM1.8K

Haha
Thanks Cousy.... I am stay in Kuching, east malaysia. My SC help me to find a recond one, but until now, no reply.
Just wait loh...

Ade_Lee

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

Ade_Lee

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
Hey all,

this is not the first time this issue was brought up. My friend and I all previously owned Honda City's 2007 model, which share the same GB as the Honda Jazz.

THe gearbox are faulty. After warranty, the GB's will jerk. Cost to repair is RM6k, cost to replace is RM20k, but to buy second hand GB is RM2k.

So, up to you. All of us have sold our City's.

QUOTE (mychai @ Nov 7 2011, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha
Thanks Cousy.... I am stay in Kuching, east malaysia. My SC help me to find a recond one, but until now, no reply.
Just wait loh...

saprio

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

saprio

4th Gear

• Members
  • 4 posts
it is crazy after buying a Honda and getting this problem at the end. very expensive to repair.
Dont trust 100% from SC because they just want to make more and more profits. You wont get cheaper solution from them.try to get second, third opinions from other bengkel first.

Better save your money for down-payment of new car

mychai

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

mychai

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
Hi all the sifu...
I have been contact to a company that they can rebuilt any type of gearbox, including this CVT.
Does anyone heard of "rebuilt gearbox"?
Is it reliable?
They offer me RM4000 for the rebuilt CVT gearbox with 6 months warranty. Compare to 2nd hand or recond GB, it cost RM2000++, does it worth to buy the rebuilt GB??
I was thinking that, buying a 2nd hand or recond GB will not guarantee me, however the rebuilt give me 6 month warranty, so it is far better than 2nd hand or recond GB. Do you agree?
Any comment? Is there anyone use the Rebuilt GB before? Can share some opinion?
Thanks a lot guys.

Regards,
Chai

breeze

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

breeze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
My 2003 CT ady clock mileage 220k KM and never facing such problem as you guys said. I always change the CVTF GB fluid every 20K KM. Really love this car and the smooth GB performence.