Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Rear Fog Lights

• Please log in to reply

retro

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

retro

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
Wonder why it is so difficult for car companies to add this item for our Malaysian market. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg imho. With the heavy downpours happening increasingly frequent, this simple item can lead to much greater safety when driving. Perhaps not that useful when in the city but I do appreciate a car with the rear fog lights on during a heavy downpour where looking even 30-40 meters ahead is difficult. I have done a simple test with a car using a rear fog and another using hazard lights during a heavy downpour. The one with rear fog lights was much more visible and it surely did not confuse cars at the back whether the car in front was a slow moving one or has stopped.

vr2turbo

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
Well, to design and fit will cost the manufacturer plenty. Every cents saved is multiplied by the number produced..... smile_tongue.gif

retro

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

retro

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
It is a safety item. I think it should not be compromised. Many cars already have the wiring ready as cars sold in Malaysia already need to have the harnesses etc. ready for Europe or even in Australia. As an example, the Proton Gen2 sold in Australia has all 3 ELR seat belts at the back and is equipped with rear fog lights.

Just that due to wanting to earning a few bucks more, distributors don't want to spec it in. Sadly, our laws about driving safety is still in the stone ages. It is a law already to have rear fog lights in many countries... among other safety items.

vr2turbo

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
That is the problem. Only the export model and required by laws over there, then only they fit. If not, as low cost as possible.
Just imagine lower end spec, don't have ABS and Air bag, Mid specs, driver side only got air bag and then top spec model have a few air bags. Isn't this a safety feature too? smile_blackeye.gif
This can go on to a very long list...... smile_shock.gif

KrisMas

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
My Chery Eastar comes with a rear fog lamp. But it's a little weird though. It's like the two reverse lamp built into the rear bumper like normal cars. But one lit up (white) when reversing and the other lit up (red) when the rear fog lamp switch is turned on, and doesn't light up at all if the switch is turned off. Have this got to do with some regulation of another country? It's good though, I like it.

jacksonljs

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

jacksonljs

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
QUOTE (retro @ Oct 30 2011, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a safety item. I think it should not be compromised. Many cars already have the wiring ready as cars sold in Malaysia already need to have the harnesses etc. ready for Europe or even in Australia. As an example, the Proton Gen2 sold in Australia has all 3 ELR seat belts at the back and is equipped with rear fog lights.

Just that due to wanting to earning a few bucks more, distributors don't want to spec it in. Sadly, our laws about driving safety is still in the stone ages. It is a law already to have rear fog lights in many countries... among other safety items.

Some cars didn't have front fog lights for base model, let alone rear fog lights. Apart from rear fog light, there's should be user guide stated in vehicle and in owners manual to prevent misuse of foglights as foglights have sharp intensity when activated (some developed countries do impose penalties/fines for improper usage/abuse of foglights be it front or rear). For those cars using hazard lights during heavy downpour, they should be axed.

jacksonljs

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

jacksonljs

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 30 2011, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is the problem. Only the export model and required by laws over there, then only they fit. If not, as low cost as possible.
Just imagine lower end spec, don't have ABS and Air bag, Mid specs, driver side only got air bag and then top spec model have a few air bags. Isn't this a safety feature too? smile_blackeye.gif
This can go on to a very long list...... smile_shock.gif

This is the consequences if the execution of a national car project are flawed. Even for Saga FLX, standard version still doesn't comes with airbags (not even one) plus other budget car models launched this year be it all new model or facelifted model. However, Perodua already equipped new Myvi with dual airbags for standard model, but have to omitted alloy rims and front fog lamps while the other 2 models, Viva and Alza still doesn't comes with airbags for standard variant.

vr2turbo

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (jacksonljs @ Oct 30 2011, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the consequences if the execution of a national car project are flawed. Even for Saga FLX, standard version still doesn't comes with airbags (not even one) plus other budget car models launched this year be it all new model or facelifted model. However, Perodua already equipped new Myvi with dual airbags for standard model, but have to omitted alloy rims and front fog lamps while the other 2 models, Viva and Alza still doesn't comes with airbags for standard variant.

Exactly what I mean..... smile_blackeye.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Oct 30 2011, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Chery Eastar comes with a rear fog lamp. But it's a little weird though. It's like the two reverse lamp built into the rear bumper like normal cars. But one lit up (white) when reversing and the other lit up (red) when the rear fog lamp switch is turned on, and doesn't light up at all if the switch is turned off. Have this got to do with some regulation of another country? It's good though, I like it.

I think so, because export model. My wife's Chery SUV have them both in Red. Reserve lights are different....

tpl

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

tpl

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,101 posts
dunno read sumwhere got this topic oso///
2012 NMT President