Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Uk Volvo Xc90: Diesel Problems In Malaysia?

• Please log in to reply

niksan

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

niksan

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
Dear expert,

I really need your help!

I am moving to Malaysia from the UK in early January 2012 and I am keen to bring out a seven-seater as our family vehicle. We test drove the Volvo XC90 and were really impressed.

We have been given a good price for sending a new XC90 (UK Spec) from the UK to Malaysia but the version sold here is the D5 AWD diesel. My only concern is whether it will be able to cope with the diesel quality in Malaysia. It will be covered by a three year warranty but my posting is for four years and I've heard some stories online about imported diesel cars struggling in Malaysia. At the end of the posting, I would look to either sell the car locally or bring it back to the UK.

Volvo Malaysia has said that the imported diesel engine should be fine as long as I give the engine a good stretch from time to time but I obviously don't want to fork out a lot of money for a car that will give me problems. I would be really grateful for a second, objective opinion.

Please reassure me that I have nothing to worry about. Is there a good chance that EURO 4M diesel will be available in Malaysia very soon?

I need to place the order in the next two days!

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Nik

mrwong

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

mrwong

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
QUOTE (niksan @ Oct 26 2011, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear expert,

I really need your help!

I am moving to Malaysia from the UK in early January 2012 and I am keen to bring out a seven-seater as our family vehicle. We test drove the Volvo XC90 and were really impressed.

We have been given a good price for sending a new XC90 (UK Spec) from the UK to Malaysia but the version sold here is the D5 AWD diesel. My only concern is whether it will be able to cope with the diesel quality in Malaysia. It will be covered by a three year warranty but my posting is for four years and I've heard some stories online about imported diesel cars struggling in Malaysia. At the end of the posting, I would look to either sell the car locally or bring it back to the UK.

Volvo Malaysia has said that the imported diesel engine should be fine as long as I give the engine a good stretch from time to time but I obviously don't want to fork out a lot of money for a car that will give me problems. I would be really grateful for a second, objective opinion.

Please reassure me that I have nothing to worry about. Is there a good chance that EURO 4M diesel will be available in Malaysia very soon?

Nik

I am no Volvo expert. But my sister had XC90 and had no problems. She never gave her car to any outside mechanics except to the original authorized Volvo centre. Hope that helps.

kaminski

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

kaminski

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
QUOTE (niksan @ Oct 26 2011, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear expert,

I really need your help!

Nik

Nik
Have you really thought your proposal through? Have you factored in the costs to actually import a car into Malaysia? As you said, you have a 4 year posting, so no tax free benefits for you in importing a new car as I assume you are not filing a "my second home" application.

The way to combat obnoxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.

Some bugger hijacked my Avatar!

V406198

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (kaminski @ Oct 28 2011, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nik
Have you really thought your proposal through? Have you factored in the costs to actually import a car into Malaysia? As you said, you have a 4 year posting, so no tax free benefits for you in importing a new car as I assume you are not filing a "my second home" application.

Volvo Car Malaysia Expatriates benefit program....

http://www.volvocars...xpatriates.aspx
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

lilbe3tle

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

lilbe3tle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
bolehland diesel is euro 2 at the moment..

no way compared to euro 4 which is a must in european continent.

therefore, you might face certain common issue which u never encounter using euro 4.

1. Engine knocking louder
2. Diesel filter to be change more regular
3. to clean your rear valance more regular tongue.gif

other diesel owners, could throw in ur opinion should I miss out any.

thx

Newkelisa

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
QUOTE (lilbe3tle @ Nov 1 2011, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bolehland diesel is euro 2 at the moment..

no way compared to euro 4 which is a must in european continent.

therefore, you might face certain common issue which u never encounter using euro 4.

1. Engine knocking louder
2. Diesel filter to be change more regular
3. to clean your rear valance more regular tongue.gif

other diesel owners, could throw in ur opinion should I miss out any.

thx

Yeah all true but 1 and 2 does not apply to the Volvo diesel technology

1. It has a knock sensor so the ECU would adjust the timing to prevent knock

2. It does not use a diesel filter but another technology called Diesel Particulate Filter which is self cleaning.

I had a word with my usual Volvo mechanic. He has test drove one before and the power is nice but his honest advice, don't get one. But I guess that applies if you intend to service outside. If you have warranty then probably different ...

If you do intend to bring it back and then sell it, let me know ... I may be interested smile_wink.gif

byebye2u

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Nov 1 2011, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah all true but 1 and 2 does not apply to the Volvo diesel technology

1. It has a knock sensor so the ECU would adjust the timing to prevent knock

2. It does not use a diesel filter but another technology called Diesel Particulate Filter which is self cleaning.

I had a word with my usual Volvo mechanic. He has test drove one before and the power is nice but his honest advice, don't get one. But I guess that applies if you intend to service outside. If you have warranty then probably different ...

If you do intend to bring it back and then sell it, let me know ... I may be interested smile_wink.gif

eerrr..all have diesel filter, some even come with water separator....

eeerrr.. DPF. Diesel Particulate Filter is part of the exhaust system, have a few type depend on brand but the function is to store and burn-off the excess carbon particle produce by engine ..so no more asap hitam smile_blush.gif

Newkelisa

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
QUOTE (byebye2u @ Nov 1 2011, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eerrr..all have diesel filter, some even come with water separator....

eeerrr.. DPF. Diesel Particulate Filter is part of the exhaust system, have a few type depend on brand but the function is to store and burn-off the excess carbon particle produce by engine ..so no more asap hitam smile_blush.gif

Looking back at what I wrote I made a mistake. It does have a filter. Only it does not need changing as 'self regenerate'.

To original poster, I found out that dpf can be removed. Owners are doing it in UK. You need to mod the sensor though. And doing this would not effect MOT inspection.

I advise you post your question to the UK Volvo forum. Lots of D5 sifu that may able to answer your question.

lilbe3tle

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

lilbe3tle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
alternatively, you may try ask the fellow volvo enthusiast 1237.gif

http://www.vocm.com.my/

V406198

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (lilbe3tle @ Nov 3 2011, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
alternatively, you may try ask the fellow volvo enthusiast 1237.gif

http://www.vocm.com.my/

not sure VOCM are right place to ask this question as it's basically half dead...most sifu's are seldom there.
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.